Waste collection and recycling is going to be ramped up, and that will translate into circular business opportunities.
EUobserver, in its new Business in Europe Magazine, looks at business in the EU context
News in Brief
- Outgoing US vice-president warns Europe on Russia
- German far-right party calls for end to WWII guilt
- First Chinese freight train arrives in Europe
- Europe has no vision, says Italian minister
- Juncker has 'slight doubts' on his group's convention idea
- EU parliament spat changes nothing, says Juncker
- German elections likely on 24 September
- Maltese PM announces plan for Brexit summit
Number of people going by train between Denmark and Sweden dropped 12 percent since Sweden introduced anti-migrant ID controls. After 60 years of Nordic free travel, people hate the scheme.
Investing €1 in welcoming refugees could yield nearly €2 in economic benefits within five years, study shows.
The arrival of more than 1 million refugees has posed a major challenge for cities. The Urban Agenda launched by regional policy commissioner Corina Cretu is an effort to deal with it.
Germany will benefit in the long term from accommodating and preparing refugees for the job market.
Systematic border controls would cost €53 to €130 for every European citizen, according to estimates, but the transport industry is already feeling the pain of border checks within the EU.
Work is an engine for integration of refugees, but EU companies struggle with recognition of qualifications, language, culture and red tape.
Look at the main donors to the Remain and Leave campaigns and the first impression is of a David vs. Goliath contest.
While Europe is one singe market, America remains decentralised with different rules and standards, adding extra costs for European companies to enter the US market.
Tax breaks awarded to multinationals like Apple and Starbucks in Luxembourg allow their businesses to prosper, often at the expense of Europe's 23 million smaller firms.
The European Commission proposes that governments and institutions help refugees, but a better solution would be to boost trade links with countries like Jordan.
- EU States to Join Pope Francis’s Appeal to Care for Migrant Children
- Number of Unaccompanied Children Arriving by sea to Italy Doubles in 2016
- "Nordic Matters" Help Forge Closer Bonds Between the UK and the Nordic Region
- The age of Intelligent Machines: join the Conference on 25-27 January 2017
- No Better way to Lift Your Monday Blues Than to Gloss Over our Political Cartoons
- The Gulen Movement: An Islamic Response to Terror as a Global Challenge
- Minority Rights and Autonomy are a European Normality
- How to Create EU Competitiveness Post-Brexit? Seminar on January 24th
- Schulz to be Awarded the European Medal for Tolerance for his Stand Against Populism
- "Adventures in Moominland" Kick Off Nordic Matters Festival in London
- 15 Fully-Funded PhDs Across Europe on the Post-Crisis Legitimacy of the EU - Apply Now!
- Interview: Fethullah Gulen Condemns Assassination of Russian Ambassador to Turkey
- EP deal could help Tusk keep Council job
- UN struggles to monitor fate of readmitted Syrians in Turkey
- European space chief: Moon village is 'more or less a fact'
- May's speech was not a war declaration, Malta says
- EU must find backbone to survive in Trump's world
- Moldova turns from EU to Russia
- Kerry to EU: Believe in yourself
- EU parliament swerves right with Tajani's election
- Public Support Needed to Promote Zero Waste in More Municipalities
- EU Cannot Afford to Ignore the Western Balkans as Populism Surges
- Fethullah Gulen Calls for an Investigation on the Assassination of Russian Ambassador to Turkey
- Amid EU Talks on Migration, Children on the Move Remain Forgotten and Unprotected
- Alex Salmond Receives Coppieters Award for His Service to Scotland and Europe
- Strong Support for Hamburg Declaration on Human Rights Defenders
- How to Use Bioenergy Coming From Forests in a Sustainable Way?
- Report Reveals Corrupt but Legal Practices in Development Finance
- MEPs and Business Representatives Debate on the Future of the EU at Winter Mingle
- Fifty Key Factors in the Public Sector Accountants Need to Prepare for
- School “as Vital as Food and Medicine” for Children Caught up in Conflict
- EJC President Breathes Sigh of Relief Over Result of Austrian Presidential Election