A small club of big consultancies has a monopoly on servicing EU bailouts, posing questions on transparency and conflict of interest.
Economic protectionism and war on Islamist terrorism will form the heart of US foreign policy, Trump has said. He did not rubbish Nato, but indicated interest in a new Russia alliance.
The commission wants to give the power to member states to reject EU-approved genetically modified organisms, but the Maltese presidency is unlikely to approach the issue any time soon.
News in Brief
- EU housing price increase by 4.3%
- EU trade chief says UK deal will take 'couple of years'
- German defence spending boost not enough for Nato goal
- Belgian MPs refuse to give up free alcohol
- Merkel last leader to get call from Obama
- Report: Hollande thinking of EU council bid
- Italy to hold 70% of Monte dei Paschi bank
- Nato hit by 500 cyberattacks every month
Slovenia is paying consultancies over €21 million to test its banks in controversial contracts classed as military secrets.
An Italian judge has convicted Deutsche Bank of fraud, amid widening probes on tax evasion and rate-fixing.
"You will be surprised in the autumn by the degree of movement that will have taken place in some member states," says Thomas Wieser, one of the economists preparing plans for banking union ahead of the October EU summit.
The European Central Bank is an important firefighter in the euro-crisis. But increasingly divergent eurozone economies are limiting the effects of its policies and democratic scrutiny remains an issue.
Concern over democratic oversight of the EU's bailout funds has led to six constitutional complaints in Germany and outrage in the European Parliament.
A lobby for the world's biggest banks - the International Institute of Finance - became a key EU player when it negotiated the debt cut on Greece's second bailout. Its world of rented castles and sopranos shows losses were bearable.
- EU States to Join Pope Francis’s Appeal to Care for Migrant Children
- Number of Unaccompanied Children Arriving by sea to Italy Doubles in 2016
- "Nordic Matters" Help Forge Closer Bonds Between the UK and the Nordic Region
- The age of Intelligent Machines: join the Conference on 25-27 January 2017
- No Better way to Lift Your Monday Blues Than to Gloss Over our Political Cartoons
- The Gulen Movement: An Islamic Response to Terror as a Global Challenge
- Minority Rights and Autonomy are a European Normality
- How to Create EU Competitiveness Post-Brexit? Seminar on January 24th
- Schulz to be Awarded the European Medal for Tolerance for his Stand Against Populism
- "Adventures in Moominland" Kick Off Nordic Matters Festival in London
- 15 Fully-Funded PhDs Across Europe on the Post-Crisis Legitimacy of the EU - Apply Now!
- Interview: Fethullah Gulen Condemns Assassination of Russian Ambassador to Turkey
- Far-right groups pledge allegience ahead of elections
- Trump pledges US-first foreign policy
- GMO opt-out plan remains in waiting room
- Trump: New sheriff in town
- A US dream, or nightmare, for Europeans?
- New EU parliament coalitions get in shape
- 'Be patient,' ECB chief tells Germany
- EU cannot copy Australia's offshore asylum model
- Public Support Needed to Promote Zero Waste in More Municipalities
- EU Cannot Afford to Ignore the Western Balkans as Populism Surges
- Fethullah Gulen Calls for an Investigation on the Assassination of Russian Ambassador to Turkey
- Amid EU Talks on Migration, Children on the Move Remain Forgotten and Unprotected
- Alex Salmond Receives Coppieters Award for His Service to Scotland and Europe
- Strong Support for Hamburg Declaration on Human Rights Defenders
- How to Use Bioenergy Coming From Forests in a Sustainable Way?
- Report Reveals Corrupt but Legal Practices in Development Finance
- MEPs and Business Representatives Debate on the Future of the EU at Winter Mingle
- Fifty Key Factors in the Public Sector Accountants Need to Prepare for
- School “as Vital as Food and Medicine” for Children Caught up in Conflict
- EJC President Breathes Sigh of Relief Over Result of Austrian Presidential Election