EU border control agency Frontex is looking to buy drones and satellite images to monitor migrant behaviour beyond the Union's borders.
Column / Brexit Briefing
As Britons come to terms with the reality of Brexit many Remainers are now listless, looking for someone to present a viable alternative to Theresa May's dominance
News in Brief
- Spanish court jails former IMF chief Rato
- Macron proposes Nordic-style economic model for France
- Germany posts record high budget surplus
- Labour ousts Ukip in Brexit homeland
- Dutch lower house approves EU-Ukraine treaty
- WTO says Russian pork ban was illegal
- Belgian nuclear plant made 'significant progress' on safety
- Report: Commission gauging EU support for Poland sanctions
EUobserver's Nikolaj Nielsen visited the Greek-Turkish border in November to see what 'Fortress Europe' means in practice for refugees and people smugglers trying to get into the Union.
EUobserver's 'Fortress Europe' series looks at refugee and immigration networks operating on the edge of Europe, focusing on the 12.5-km Greek 'wall' completed late last year.
Nikolaj Nielsen is a Danish-American journalist working for EUobserver in Brussels. He won a King Baudouin Foundation grant for investigative journalism in 2010.
Poor labour conditions, racism and squalid housing is making African migrants in Istanbul dream of the EU despite its crisis.
Smuggler groups - kacakci - who get people from Turkey into the EU make more money each time the Union takes steps to protect the border.
A 12.5km fence rolled with barbwire along the Greek Turkish border is part of a larger initiative to secure Europe from migrants seeking a better life.
Afghan refugees trapped in legal limbo in Turkey are pursuing new Balkan routes to get into the EU.
The poor treatment of migrants and asylum seekers in Greece is a humanitarian disaster, says a report released on Wednesday by Amnesty International.
A chief of police in north-eastern Greece says irregular migrants no longer cross into the country from Turkey. Land mines from World War II are among the deterrents.
- Join the Rare Disease Day and Help to Advocate for More Research on Rare Diseases
- Students Who Are Considered Fit Get Better Grades in School
- Meet with Leading International Business Schools in Paris on March 4th
- Economic Governance: Agreement Reached on Structural Reform Support Programme for Member States
- Women Have to Work Ten Years Longer to Match Lifetime Earnings of Men
- Trans-Adriatic Pipeline Is a Major Risk for Banks, Warns New Analysis
- EU and US Migration Policies Compared: Join the Debate on February 28th
- Technology and Data Flows - Shaping the Society of Tomorrow
- Nearly 1.4 Million Children at Risk of Death as Famine Looms Across Africa and Yemen
- End of Roaming Fees: Council Reaches Agreement on Wholesale Caps
- Nordic Innovation House Opens in New York to Help Startups Access US Market
- Minorities and Migrations
- Malta to push for LGBTI rights in troubled times
- Searching for a voice and a standard bearer
- The crisis we face in the Lake Chad Basin
- Hungary should set alarm bells ringing in Brussels
- Le Pen wants to 'do away' with the EU
- Armenia-Azerbaijan war: Line of contact
- Juncker envisages EU of core groups
- Maltese minister: 'We're not censoring the internet'
- The Child in the City: Health, Parks and Play
- Number of Ukrainian Children Needing Aid Nearly Doubles to 1 Million Over the Past Year
- The Situation of Refugee Women in Europe
- Toward a Shared Culture of Health: Charting the Patient-Clinician Relationship
- Austria Should Preserve & Promote Bilingual and Multinational Carinthia
- Show Your Love for Democracy! Take Part in Our Contest: "If It's Broken, Let's Fix It"
- Cloud Computing Leaders Establish Data Protection Standards to Protect Customer Data
- Landmark Deal Reached With European Parliament on Portability of Online Content
- BSF 2017: Building a Common Future in the Age of Uncertainty
- EU Not to Revise the Working Time Directive
- Azerbaijan: 76 NGOs Urge the EU to Use President's Visit to Insist on Human Rights Reforms
- Deadliest Winter for Migrant Children Crossing the Central Mediterranean