An "internationally protected Christian autonomous region" in Middle East proposed as one solution, as religious leaders met for talks on migration with EU Commission.
The Hungarian Green MEP who uncovered EU Commissioner Oettinger's flight to Budapest on a private plane of a lobbyist was not allowed to ask the German politician on the issue in the EP.
Defeat for Italian prime minister Renzi will not necessarily sweep the anti-euro Five Star Movement to power, while a victory might be a short-lived success.
News in Brief
- Talks on wholesale roaming rules to start
- Lead MEP Dieselgate committee: Italy and Slovakia will cooperate
- Transparency NGO sues EU commission on Turkey deal
- Pro-EU liberal wins UK by-election
- Finnish support for Nato drops, Russia-scepticism grows
- Cyprus talks to resume in January
- Documents from German NSA inquiry released
- Transport commissioner 'not aware' of legal action on emissions
Austria's presidential hopefuls, who are in locked in a tight race, disagreed over the future of the EU in a TV debate a week before the election.
European parties that rejoice over the US election result have their own momentum, but they face different electorates and risk an anti-US backlash.
Column / Brexit Briefing
Blair's return to British politics and Farage's likely lordship indicate that a new establishment is taking shape in Britain.
The UK has told Poland its nationals can stay after Brexit if British nationals can stay in the EU. It also pledged to take a tough line on Russia.
The centre-right presidential candidate, who just won his party's primary, wants a "more political" EU that would focus on security and the economy.
Young people have been sold down the river by this year's political events, but it's not too late for Europe to safeguard the future for the world's youth.
The EU commission wants to maintain relations with Turkey, despite an EU parliament vote to suspend accession talks amid renewed threats from Ankara to scrap a migrant swap deal.
Francois Fillon was not unsettled by rival Alain Juppe, ahead of the centre-right primary election on Sunday, despite differences on the pace of reforms, multiculturalism and Russia.
Robert Fico's outburst comes amid mounting pressure from opposition parties and the media to take action over high-level corruption allegations.
The German politician wasn't sure to secure a third term as EU parliament president. His decision opens up power struggles both in Brussels and Berlin.
The EU parliament wants to freeze membership talks with Turkey but the EU's foreign policy chief described it as a "lose-lose scenario".
Europe's solution to its problems has left many behind, now is the time for a change of tracks, not to engage in political navel-gazing.
The Scottish government will present its own options on Brexit if London does not secure access to the EU's single market, its Brexit minister said in Brussels.
A two-day meeting between Greek and Turkish Cypriot leaders ended without an agreement on the map of a reunited island, casting doubt on a final settlement.
- Elects Leaders and Sets Safety & Health at Work and Gender Equality Among the Guidelines For Next Term
- Continues to Grow its Membership and Welcomes its Newest Member Association
- Supports the Women of Europe Awards, Celebrating the Women who are Building Europe
- What About our Kids? Protect Children From Unhealthy Food and Drink Marketing
- Restoring Trust and Confidence in the European Parliament
- Child Rights Agencies Call on EU to put Refugee and Migrant Children First
- A New Vision on Clean Tech: Balancing Energy Efficiency, Climate Change and Costs
- Children Cannot Wait! 7 Priority Actions to Protect all Refugee and Migrant Children
- Regio-Mob Project Delivers Analysis of Trasport and Mobility in Rome
- Civil Society Disappointed by the Commission's Plans for Sustainable Development Goals
- 15 Fully-Funded PhD Positions Open – The Post-Crisis Legitimacy of the EU (PLATO)
- Tell the EU Council: Protect our Rights to Privacy and Security
- What the EU will learn from Trump's Taiwan blunder
- Liberals ponder Verhofstadt's chances for parliament top post
- Polish government in bid to defund NGOs
- Davis brings Brexit back to reality
- Countdown to Italy's future
- More jihadi attacks likely in Europe, Europol says
- States seek softer access to EU wifi fund
- Tusk: Trump poses risk for Western unity on Russia
Ivan Korcok says Slovakia's EU presidency has achieved "tangible results" despite difficulties caused by Brexit and the US election. But no agreement on asylum reform is in sight.
Ring-wing populists are on the march on both sides of the Atlantic, what has brought about the great challenge for liberal democracy?
The chancellor announced on Sunday she would run for election again, but finds it "grotesque" to be called the "new leader of the free world".
The former French president came third in the first round of the centre-right primary election on Sunday. Francois Fillon, a pro-Russia conservative, is the new favourite for next year's presidential vote.
Choice of next German president, however ceremonial the office may be, has been seen as a barometer of the political status quo ahead of next year's elections.
The new prime minister Saulius Skvernelis and his leader from the Peasants and Greens party Ramunas Karbauskis were the suprise winners of last month's elections. But what they want to do is still unclear.
The EU parliament is preparing to get back allegedly misspent funds from a eurosceptic political group that includes Ukip, in a move that could cause the group's bankruptcy.
EU executive said digital commissioner did not break transparency rules when he took the plane of a German businessman, but NGOs said that view was "incorrect".
The apparent pro-Russia leanings of Bulgaria's next leader, Rumen Radev, have dominated headlines. But his first major challenges will be to install a government and attempt to promote anti-corruption reforms.
Oettinger said he used pro-Russia lobbyist's jet because it was the only way to make dinner in Budapest, but who paid for the trip?
The US will stick with Nato no matter who is in the White House, according to Barack Obama, but he warned that Trump-style populism was a danger in Europe.
MEPs are set to debate a report that could end up creating a new EU defence commissioner, and spell out the political direction of the European parliament on defence and security.
Gaffe-prone Guenther Oettinger faces questions on whether the commission paid for the flight and why the lobbyist meeting was not declared.
Donald Trump's victory is enlivening Austria's presidential campaign - one side seizing on it as a sign that the masses are rising up, the other depicting it as a stark warning of the dangers of demagoguery.
- The Future of Audit Means Adaption to Today’s Global and Digital World
- New Rules for EU Anti-dumping Measures
- Takes Part in Building Resilient Communities
- Universal Children’s Day: UNICEF Calls for Global Action on Child Rights Violations
- The EU Bank Cannot be a Key Player in Europe's Response to the Plight of Refugees
- Provides Evidence of Human Rights Violations and International Crimes in Crimea
- The Failed Military Coup in Turkey & The Mass Purges
- New Nordic Climate Solutions at COP22 in Marrakech
- NGOs Call on Development Finance Institutions to Act Against Tax Avoidance
- Trump Victory and Brexit Show Urgent Need of Improving Democracy
- Our Transatlantic 9-11: Europe After Trump
- Timmermans Points to Gülen Movement as Coup Plotter But Lacks Proof