Private security firms are bidding to guard EU-funded migrant detention centres in Greece, amid a report by Medecins Sans Frontiers which says poor conditions are causing disease.
The EPP and Alde groups said their new cooperation included the backing of Tusk for another term as president of the European Council.
European Space Agency's director-general says several companies are on board with his idea, which will become visible "very soon".
News in Brief
- Outgoing US vice-president warns Europe on Russia
- German far-right party calls for end to WWII guilt
- First Chinese freight train arrives in Europe
- Europe has no vision, says Italian minister
- Juncker has 'slight doubts' on his group's convention idea
- EU parliament spat changes nothing, says Juncker
- German elections likely on 24 September
- Maltese PM announces plan for Brexit summit
A growing number of EU countries use private security firms to guard migrant detention centres and handle visa applications, raising questions of accountability if things go wrong. EUobserver looks at the rise of a new European security industry.
Nikolaj Nielsen is a Danish-American journalist working for EUobserver in Brussels. He won a King Baudouin Foundation grant for investigative journalism in 2010.
A growing number of EU countries are using private security firms to guard migrant detention centres, raising questions about accountability if things go wrong.
MEPs Thursday gave the green light to a new European Border Surveillance system. Critics says the deal places too much emphasis on stopping migration rather than saving lives.
The EU commission wants to fingerprint anyone who enters the EU, but critics say it risks violating numerous privacy rights.
EOS, a trade body of some of Europe's main arms dealers, wants to buy and sell EU maritime surveillance data, in its latest push to shape EU policy.
Private security companies operating UK-based immigrant removal centres use formulas to calculate the profit loss incurred when detainees commit suicide under their watch.
- EU States to Join Pope Francis’s Appeal to Care for Migrant Children
- Number of Unaccompanied Children Arriving by sea to Italy Doubles in 2016
- "Nordic Matters" Help Forge Closer Bonds Between the UK and the Nordic Region
- The age of Intelligent Machines: join the Conference on 25-27 January 2017
- No Better way to Lift Your Monday Blues Than to Gloss Over our Political Cartoons
- The Gulen Movement: An Islamic Response to Terror as a Global Challenge
- Minority Rights and Autonomy are a European Normality
- How to Create EU Competitiveness Post-Brexit? Seminar on January 24th
- Schulz to be Awarded the European Medal for Tolerance for his Stand Against Populism
- "Adventures in Moominland" Kick Off Nordic Matters Festival in London
- 15 Fully-Funded PhDs Across Europe on the Post-Crisis Legitimacy of the EU - Apply Now!
- Interview: Fethullah Gulen Condemns Assassination of Russian Ambassador to Turkey
- EP deal could help Tusk keep Council job
- UN struggles to monitor fate of readmitted Syrians in Turkey
- European space chief: Moon village is 'more or less a fact'
- May's speech was not a war declaration, Malta says
- EU must find backbone to survive in Trump's world
- Moldova turns from EU to Russia
- Kerry to EU: Believe in yourself
- EU parliament swerves right with Tajani's election
- Public Support Needed to Promote Zero Waste in More Municipalities
- EU Cannot Afford to Ignore the Western Balkans as Populism Surges
- Fethullah Gulen Calls for an Investigation on the Assassination of Russian Ambassador to Turkey
- Amid EU Talks on Migration, Children on the Move Remain Forgotten and Unprotected
- Alex Salmond Receives Coppieters Award for His Service to Scotland and Europe
- Strong Support for Hamburg Declaration on Human Rights Defenders
- How to Use Bioenergy Coming From Forests in a Sustainable Way?
- Report Reveals Corrupt but Legal Practices in Development Finance
- MEPs and Business Representatives Debate on the Future of the EU at Winter Mingle
- Fifty Key Factors in the Public Sector Accountants Need to Prepare for
- School “as Vital as Food and Medicine” for Children Caught up in Conflict
- EJC President Breathes Sigh of Relief Over Result of Austrian Presidential Election