Private security firms are bidding to guard EU-funded migrant detention centres in Greece, amid a report by Medecins Sans Frontiers which says poor conditions are causing disease.
The ECB has started to “bail out” Germany’s Volkswagen Group by buying its corporate bonds, but other EU-linked banks continue to shun the scandal-tainted firm.
French president said UK must respects all freedoms attached to access to EU single market. He said UK can take some time to prepare negotiations.
News in Brief
- VW to suspend sales of most cars in South Korea
- UK economy slumps after Brexit vote
- IMF chief Lagarde to be judged in France
- UN envoy 'concerned' by impact of Turkey events on Cyprus reunification
- Guterres slated for UN secretary-general
- Over 1,000 migrants rescued on Thursday
- France adopts new labour law
- Spain's PM Rajoy given one week to form government
A growing number of EU countries use private security firms to guard migrant detention centres and handle visa applications, raising questions of accountability if things go wrong. EUobserver looks at the rise of a new European security industry.
Nikolaj Nielsen is a Danish-American journalist working for EUobserver in Brussels. He won a King Baudouin Foundation grant for investigative journalism in 2010.
A growing number of EU countries are using private security firms to guard migrant detention centres, raising questions about accountability if things go wrong.
MEPs Thursday gave the green light to a new European Border Surveillance system. Critics says the deal places too much emphasis on stopping migration rather than saving lives.
The EU commission wants to fingerprint anyone who enters the EU, but critics say it risks violating numerous privacy rights.
EOS, a trade body of some of Europe's main arms dealers, wants to buy and sell EU maritime surveillance data, in its latest push to shape EU policy.
Private security companies operating UK-based immigrant removal centres use formulas to calculate the profit loss incurred when detainees commit suicide under their watch.
- Migration, Security and Solidarity within Global Disorder: Academic Event Agenda for 2016
- How Google Fights Piracy: Creating Value While Fighting Piracy
- "My Visit to Israel" - Opinion by MEP Lopez Aguilar, Chair of the EP Working Group on Antisemitism
- Children Migrating, Out of School and at Work as Hunger Deepens in Southern Africa
- Stand-Up (and Exercise) to Prevent Chronic Diseases
- Launches a Real-time News Hub Specialised in EU Stakeholders
- Fethullah Gulen Calls for International Probe Into Turkey Coup Allegations
- EU-US Privacy Shield: Restoring Faith in Data Flows and Transatlantic Relations
- World Leaders & Youth Advocates Launch Partnership to End Violence Vs. Children
- Report: Institutionalised Corruption in Romania's Third Largest Company
- Europol Supports Encryption. We Can Relax Now… Right?
- Learn about Google's projects across Europe on Twitter @GoogleBrussels
- A very British (and Corbynite) coup
- Poland 'changing for the worse' for Muslims and refugees
- EU aims to lift visas on Turks despite purge
- ECB in ‘bail-out’ of scandal-tainted VW
- EU failed to learn lesson from Brexit, Poland says
- UK accord on EU workers 'crucial', France says
- EU and US take different lines on Turkey crackdown
- ECB to use 'all instruments' in case of Brexit impact