Today @ 18:44
Some compare Tusk, the new EU Council chief, to Merkel. But unlike her, he has “given up” on Moscow, with Russia relations set to make or break his EU tenure.
Today @ 08:59
29.08.14 @ 21:24
29.08.14 @ 09:28
31.08.14 @ 02:25
EU leaders have given Russia one week to stop attacking Ukraine or face more sanctions.
30.08.14 @ 21:43
EU leaders have chosen Polish PM Tusk as the next EU Council president and Italian minister Mogherini as the bloc's foreign affairs chief.
30.08.14 @ 14:41
EU leaders are likely to hold off on extra Russia sanctions until at least next week, Ukraine’s president indicated in Brussels Saturday.
Today @ 09:22
Cameron is facing a eurosceptic backlash inside his Conservative party, amid reports that up to 100 of his MPs will vote for Britain's withdrawal.
Today @ 09:09
Pro-transparency groups and trade unions are urging the European Commission to scale back corporate influence on policy-making decisions.
29.08.14 @ 15:00
Nato has said Ukraine is free to seek membership in the alliance despite Russian opposition, as EU ministers discuss extra sanctions on Russia.
29.08.14 @ 09:30
Germany, France, and Italy have indicated they are willing to impose extra sanctions on Russia due to its “invasion” of Ukraine.
27.08.14 @ 09:28
Italian foreign minister Mogherini may become the next EU foreign policy chief if Polish PM Tusk or a Baltic leader succeeds Van Rompuy as EU Council president.
28.08.14 @ 14:21
Ukrainian president Poroshenko has said Russian forces have invaded his country, with Kiev calling for an emergency EU and UN meeting.
28.08.14 @ 09:30
The EU is to launch a “Frontex plus” mission in autumn to help Italy on the search and rescue of Mediterranean boat migrants.
28.08.14 @ 18:10
French leader Hollande has called for a summit on eurozone growth, warning that “Europe is threatened by a long and possibly interminable stagnation if we do nothing.”
29.08.14 @ 09:30
EU and Cuban officials have made “substantial progress” towards agreeing a trade and political co-operation treaty.
28.08.14 @ 09:16
Germany and the US have lent weight to claims that Russian troops are directly involved in opening up a new front in the Ukraine conflict.
27.08.14 @ 17:52
Berlin has approved draft legislation aimed at curbing "welfare abuse", including a five year ban for EU citizens who tricked the system in a potential breach of EU law.
News in Brief
- Putin told Barroso he could 'take Kiev in two weeks'@ 18:58
- New EU foreign policy chief criticises Putin@ 18:48
- Belgium only country not to have nominated EU commissioner@ 12:40
- Berlin to accept Moscovici as economics commissioner: Report@ 12:27
- German eurosceptic party enters state parliament after vote@ 11:37
- Only one in four Norwegians support EU membership@ 09:18
- Russia calls for 'ceasefire', 'statehood' in east Ukraine@ 09:06
- Romania may send a female commissioner31'st @ 02:04
- Who is Tusk and what does he mean for the EU?@ 18:44
- Cameron faces new EU referendum backlash@ 09:22
- OpinionWhy America is recovering, but Europe is not - Part II@ 09:17
- EU expert groups dominated by corporate interest, say NGOs@ 09:09
- Who is Federica Mogherini?@ 08:59
- EU leaders give Putin one-week deadline31'st @ 02:25
- EU leaders pick Tusk, Mogherini for top posts30'th @ 21:43
- Poroshenko: EU likely to hold off on Russia sanctions30'th @ 14:41
- EUA: EU 2015 Budget negotiations: EUA warns against making cuts to research payments
- EPSU: New Commission must end corporate dominance of EU expert groups
- Martens Centre: Register now for the event “A Changing Eastern Neighbourhood”
- Martens Centre: Register now for event on 9 Sept: Banking and Monetary Union 2014-2019
- EuFoA: Tension rises in Nagorno-Karabakh as ceasefire negotiations are underway
- ACCA: Supports a coherent EU Single Market as to the balance of competences in the UK
- EIPA: Preparing for New EPSO Competitions: Luxembourg, 08 September 2014
- EIPA: Tools for Implementation of EU Policies at National Level. Luxembourg, 22-25/ 09/ 2014
- EPHA: 5th Annual Conference 4-5 September 2014, Brussels
- Centre Maurits Coppieters: Launches a new youtube channel