24.10.14 @ 20:13
Herman Van Rompuy and Jose Manuel Barroso said goodbye to EU leaders on Friday after attending their final summit as presidents of the EU council and commission. But the summit was marred by a budget row.
24.10.14 @ 00:37
23.10.14 @ 09:34
23.10.14 @ 10:24
23.10.14 @ 09:24
24.10.14 @ 16:16
UK prime minister David Cameron vowed to oppose "in every way possible" the extra €2.1 billion EU budget bill, which he said was 'completely unjustified and unacceptable', as the row dominated the second day of the leaders' summit in Brussels.
24.10.14 @ 18:04
Hungary is demanding the US hand over evidence after the Americans placed an entry ban on six officials close to Viktor Orban’s government last week.
24.10.14 @ 09:27
Eurozone leaders are meeting Friday on public deficits and debt, amid an escalating dispute between Italian PM Renzi and outgoing commission chief Barroso.
24.10.14 @ 20:09
European Central Bank chief Mario Draghi warns eurozone leaders of recession unless they agree a "concrete timetable" of reforms and spur investments.
24.10.14 @ 16:58
The climate agreement “opens the door to greater ambition by all countries”, the head of UN body on climate change said.
24.10.14 @ 03:59
EU leaders have agreed to cut greenhouse emissions by 40 percent by 2030, but poorer states won concessions, while green NGOs voiced dismay.
24.10.14 @ 09:47
The EU has told the UK it must pay a new €2.1 billion bill by 1 December, in grist for the mill of Cameron's eurosceptic adversaries at home.
24.10.14 @ 03:59
Most EU leaders on Thursday criticised Russia’s non-compliance with Ukraine peace accords, but Italy urged re-engagement with Moscow.
23.10.14 @ 15:32
European Commission president Barroso has hit out at Italy for publishing a letter the commission sent asking Rome to justify its budget for 2015.
23.10.14 @ 09:28
Irish senators have urged the government to recognise Palestine, as the EU prepares to set out new red lines on Israel relations.
24.10.14 @ 09:29
Nicosia persuaded EU leaders at the summit in Brussels on Thursday to criticise Turkey for violating its economic zone and sovereignty.
23.10.14 @ 21:41
The 2030 climate and energy targets which EU leaders are trying to agree at a Brussels summit on Thursday will not be set in stone.
23.10.14 @ 09:29
EU leaders are meeting in Brussels for what are expected to be tough negotiations on climate targets. The economy and Ebola will also be discussed.
23.10.14 @ 13:38
The rise of the UK Independence party has coincided with increased support for Britain remaining part of the EU, according to a survey published on Wednesday.
News in Brief
- Report: 25 banks to fail ECB stress tests24'th @ 20:07
- Renzi contradicts Cameron on 'lethal weapon' quote24'th @ 18:09
- Cameron 'angry' over extra EU bill of €2bn24'th @ 15:01
- Ice-cold relations inside the ECB: report24'th @ 09:01
- Soros: EU has lost its way24'th @ 09:00
- European bank stress tests to reveal small problems: report24'th @ 08:59
- Beer and wine fuelled EU climate deal24'th @ 08:57
- No comment from Barroso on extra €2 billion from UK24'th @ 03:32
- Van Rompuy and Barroso leave EU stage with porcelain plates24'th @ 20:13
- Draghi warns eurozone leaders on recession 'relapse'24'th @ 20:09
- Hungary's Orban stonewalls US corruption allegations24'th @ 18:04
- UN welcomes EU climate deal24'th @ 16:58
- Cameron vows to reject €2 billion EU bill24'th @ 16:16
- Cameron slapped with new €2bn EU bill24'th @ 09:47
- Cyprus seeks harsh EU statement on Turkey24'th @ 09:29
- Renzi stirs up EU row ahead of eurozone meeting24'th @ 09:27
After 10 years as European Commission president, his most "emotional" moment was collecting the EU's Nobel Peace Prize, Jose Manuel Barroso told MEPs in Strasbourg on Tuesday (21 October) in his last speech in the European Parliament.
- EuroCommerce: New Commission offers fresh approach, but over-ambitious portfolio casts shadow
- EN.DELFI: How Russia wages hybrid energy war against Lithuania
- Oxfam: Europe must review climate targets after weak climate package deal
- Red Cross: A humanitarian approach within the EU Migration Agenda: 20 November @ EESC
- Counter Balance: Thousands urge the EU Commission to ditch biodiversity offsetting
- Oxfam: Bolder EU response needed to help stop Ebola spiralling out of control
- CESI: Ebola requires action: CESI demands full protection of healthcare workers at risk
- EGBA: Want to know how the EU online betting industry fights match-fixing?
- Access Now: Commissioners hearings: The many faces of Digital in the new Commission
- CESI: Taxation at the heart of the crisis, CESI Europe Academy discusses #TaxinEU