22.10.14 @ 13:57
MEPs have approved Juncker's new EU commission, with a slightly smaller majority than in 2010, and following a number of concessions on portfolios.
22.10.14 @ 18:35
22.10.14 @ 18:30
21.10.14 @ 17:48
20.10.14 @ 18:22
22.10.14 @ 17:59
The European Parliament on Wednesday punched a €3.8 million hole in the EU commission 2015 budget as leverage until the Brussels-executive improves its transparency record.
22.10.14 @ 08:37
With temperatures already near freezing in eastern Europe, Ukraine will hold elections on Sunday amid uncertainty on Russian gas supplies.
22.10.14 @ 09:29
Europe's biggest banks will foot almost all of the bill for a new EU rescue fund for stricken lenders, according to a plan published on Tuesday.
22.10.14 @ 19:55
TThe EU's rules on debts and deficits will not be re-written, Juncker told MEPs in his first speech as European Commission president.
22.10.14 @ 09:30
He came close to being the EU’s new foreign policy chief, but Sikorski’s political future is in doubt over his handling of a press interview.
21.10.14 @ 19:44
A handful of Liberal, Green, leftist and anti-establishment MEPs dealing with culture have called for a boycott against the Juncker commission because of his Hungarian nominee.
21.10.14 @ 18:08
Asylum seekers in Italy and Greece are a step closer of having their rights vindicated following a verdict on Tuesday at the European Court of Human Rights.
21.10.14 @ 09:28
Slovenian commissioner Violeta Bulc has survived a three-hour hearing by MEPs, clearing the way for Juncker's team to be voted in on Wednesday.
21.10.14 @ 09:29
EU states decided to uphold sanctions on Russia and to better co-ordinate their response to the Ebola crisis at a meeting in Luxembourg on Monday.
20.10.14 @ 09:29
Belgium's main airport, which gets four direct flights a week from the Ebola zone in west Africa, began screening arrivals in the small hours of Monday.
21.10.14 @ 18:01
Budget deficits in the EU were within the limits set out in the bloc's stability pact in 2013 thanks to changes to accounting rules.
20.10.14 @ 19:42
Farage’s eurosceptic group in the EU parliament has been saved by a Pole with unusual views on women.
20.10.14 @ 17:56
Two French corporate lawyers working for American firms and a high-ranking EU official are vying to replace Peter Hustinx as the next European data protection supervisor.
20.10.14 @ 09:28
Britain risks “alienating” friends in Europe by loose talk of migration caps, the outgoing EU commission chief is to warn.
News in Brief
- Lega Nord signs partnership with Putin party22'nd @ 16:05
- EP approves Juncker commission22'nd @ 12:37
- Pharma and medical devices unit goes back to health22'nd @ 12:30
- Hahn portfolio still called 'enlargement negotiations'22'nd @ 12:30
- Navracsics to get sport instead of citizenship22'nd @ 12:29
- Juncker tasks Timmermans on special courts in EU-US trade deal22'nd @ 12:27
- Frontex under fundamental rights probe22'nd @ 11:23
- Poll: Majority of Poles opposed to euro22'nd @ 09:16
- EU fiscal rules won't be changed, says Juncker22'nd @ 19:55
- OpinionCameron's tight-rope walk on free movement22'nd @ 18:35
- Open letters help frame debate on climate summit22'nd @ 18:30
- MEPs withhold millions from EU commission over transparency22'nd @ 17:59
- VideoBarroso says goodbye to MEPs22'nd @ 14:24
- EU parliament approves Juncker commission22'nd @ 13:57
- Former Polish FM causes scandal on Russia interview22'nd @ 09:30
- Bank rescue fund to rely on big lenders22'nd @ 09:29
After ten years as European Commission President, the most "emotional" moment was collecting the EU's Nobel Peace Prize, Jose Manuel Barroso told MEPs in Strasbourg on Tuesday (21 October) in his last speech in the European Parliament.
- Counter Balance: Thousands urge the EU Commission to ditch biodiversity offsetting
- Oxfam: Bolder EU response needed to help stop Ebola spiralling out of control
- CESI: Ebola requires action: CESI demands full protection of healthcare workers at risk
- EGBA: Want to know how the EU online betting industry fights match-fixing?
- Access Now: Commissioners hearings: The many faces of Digital in the new Commission
- CESI: Taxation at the heart of the crisis, CESI Europe Academy discusses #TaxinEU
- Oxfam: EU needs to do more to stop the spread of Ebola
- EPSU: Ebola outbreak in West Africa - Health Workers in the frontline need our support
- EuFoA: First Nagorno-Karabakh Group announced in the European Parliament
- Oxfam: Four solutions to economic inequality