Today @ 15:32
European Commission president Barroso has hit out at Italy for publishing a letter the commission sent asking Rome to justify its budget for 2015.
Today @ 09:24
22.10.14 @ 18:35
22.10.14 @ 18:30
21.10.14 @ 17:48
Today @ 09:29
EU leaders are meeting in Brussels for what are expected to be tough negotiations on climate targets. The economy and Ebola will also be discussed.
Today @ 13:38
The rise of the UK Independence party has coincided with increased support for Britain remaining part of the EU, according to a survey published on Wednesday.
22.10.14 @ 13:57
MEPs have approved Juncker's new EU commission, with a slightly smaller majority than in 2010, and following a number of concessions on portfolios.
Today @ 09:28
Irish senators have urged the government to recognise Palestine, as the EU prepares to set out new red lines on Israel relations.
Today @ 10:24
The new US ambassador is to come to the EU parliament more often, amid efforts to include investor protection in the EU-US trade deal.
Today @ 09:34
Ukrainians obtained more EU first residence permits last year than any other nationality, according to the EU’s statistical office, Eurostat.
22.10.14 @ 17:59
The European Parliament on Wednesday punched a €3.8 million hole in the EU commission 2015 budget as leverage until the Brussels-executive improves its transparency record.
22.10.14 @ 08:37
With temperatures already near freezing in eastern Europe, Ukraine will hold elections on Sunday amid uncertainty on Russian gas supplies.
22.10.14 @ 09:29
Europe's biggest banks will foot almost all of the bill for a new EU rescue fund for stricken lenders, according to a plan published on Tuesday.
21.10.14 @ 18:08
Asylum seekers in Italy and Greece are a step closer of having their rights vindicated following a verdict on Tuesday at the European Court of Human Rights.
22.10.14 @ 19:55
TThe EU's rules on debts and deficits will not be re-written, Juncker told MEPs in his first speech as European Commission president.
22.10.14 @ 09:30
He came close to being the EU’s new foreign policy chief, but Sikorski’s political future is in doubt over his handling of a press interview.
21.10.14 @ 19:44
A handful of Liberal, Green, leftist and anti-establishment MEPs dealing with culture have called for a boycott against the Juncker commission because of his Hungarian nominee.
21.10.14 @ 18:01
Budget deficits in the EU were within the limits set out in the bloc's stability pact in 2013 thanks to changes to accounting rules.
News in Brief
- EU loses €177 billion in unpaid VAT@ 19:18
- Schulz: climate deal 'essence' of EU summit@ 19:05
- EU pledges €24.4 million for Ebola research@ 19:01
- Climate change 'question of survival', says outgoing EU chief@ 18:31
- Greece to represent Cyprus at EU summit, while president recovers@ 18:29
- Police protest in Brussels with empty boxes@ 17:33
- MEPs back subsidies for tobacco crops@ 17:31
- Italy asked to justify national budget plans@ 13:10
- Barroso clashes with Italy over published budget warning@ 15:32
- Poll shows UK support for EU at 20-year high@ 13:38
- An American in Strasbourg: US ambassador woos MEPs on trade pact@ 10:24
- Quarter of a million Ukrainians came to EU last year@ 09:34
- EU leaders gear up for heated climate summit@ 09:29
- Irish senators build EU momentum on Palestine recognition@ 09:28
- OpinionEU states should follow Sweden on Palestine@ 09:24
- EU fiscal rules won't be changed, says Juncker22'nd @ 19:55
After 10 years as European Commission president, his most "emotional" moment was collecting the EU's Nobel Peace Prize, Jose Manuel Barroso told MEPs in Strasbourg on Tuesday (21 October) in his last speech in the European Parliament.
- Counter Balance: Thousands urge the EU Commission to ditch biodiversity offsetting
- Oxfam: Bolder EU response needed to help stop Ebola spiralling out of control
- CESI: Ebola requires action: CESI demands full protection of healthcare workers at risk
- EGBA: Want to know how the EU online betting industry fights match-fixing?
- Access Now: Commissioners hearings: The many faces of Digital in the new Commission
- CESI: Taxation at the heart of the crisis, CESI Europe Academy discusses #TaxinEU
- Oxfam: EU needs to do more to stop the spread of Ebola
- EPSU: Ebola outbreak in West Africa - Health Workers in the frontline need our support
- EuFoA: First Nagorno-Karabakh Group announced in the European Parliament
- Oxfam: Four solutions to economic inequality