17.05.13 @ 09:25
French President Hollande has called for a eurozone government to counter a recession which threatens "the very identity" of Europe.
17.05.13 @ 18:36
17.05.13 @ 08:24
17.05.13 @ 08:57
17.05.13 @ 09:30
Special treatment of culture "makes sense" European Commission President Barroso has said in relation to upcoming EU-US trade talks.
17.05.13 @ 09:28
Europeans expect a more difficult and uncertain economic future than their parent, according to an opinion poll released Friday.
17.05.13 @ 09:05
Digital agenda commissioner Kroes has promised to roll out a single telecoms market throughout the EU before leaving office.
17.05.13 @ 09:01
The European Greens will hold US-style primary elections to select candidates for the EU's top jobs at the next European elections.
17.05.13 @ 09:21
The shale gas revolution has taken its time to arrive in Europe, where post-Cold-War politics will play a large part in developments.
16.05.13 @ 09:29
The Arctic Council has let in six new observer states including China but deferred the EU's application until a later date.
15.05.13 @ 17:45
The eurozone economy continues to shrink as Germany's economy grew by a meagre 0.1 percent in the past three months, while France slid back into recession, fresh Eurostat data show.
15.05.13 @ 17:47
French President Hollande, battling record unpopularity and a struggling economy, has tried to change the narrative by saying he is being buffeted by outside forces.
15.05.13 @ 09:05
The British Conservative Party has tabled legislation that would guarantee an EU in/out referendum before the end of 2017.
15.05.13 @ 09:27
Criminals are using bitcoins and other unregulated digital currencies as a payment method of choice when blackmailing companies following a data breach.
16.05.13 @ 09:19
Experts in the EU Council have questioned the legality of proposed cuts to EU officials' benefits, amid new strike action in Brussels.
16.05.13 @ 09:46
Ideological and political divisions emerge among European Parliament political groups as they debate amendments on the draft EU data protection bill.
15.05.13 @ 10:01
Austria and Luxembourg have blocked an EU deal to increase tax transparency despite pressure from major EU states.
News in Brief
- IMF: Cyprus should return to growth in 2015
- Eurozone bank 'stress tests' delayed until next year
- Westerwelle in Serbia and Kosovo to speed up deal
- Merkel: Hollande's euro government idea 'interesting'
- Schaeuble blames EU commission for inaction on youth unemployment
- Germany buries Eurohawk drone project
- European jihadists in Syria spook Germany
- China wants EU to drop telecoms probe
- Russia positions warships near Syria
- Bizarre twist in Bulgaria election drama
- Survey: Croatia and Slovenia most corrupt in EU
- InterviewSweden: who needs Nato, when you have the Lisbon Treaty?
- Brzezinski: EU-US trade pact can halt West's decline
- Orban fails to impress Jewish leaders on anti-Semitism
- EU governments get cold feet on transactions tax
- Commission: €11bn extra or we could halt EU payments
- Nato chief: EU soft power is 'no power at all'
- 'Political science fiction' to become reality, Barroso says
- Anti-euro party officially launched in Germany
- AnalysisPoor pay: the flipside of Germany's low unemployment
Equality & LGBTI Rights
- EU ministers urge Reding to do more for gay rights
- Targeted action requires clear plan … LGBTI issues are no different
- Report: sexual minorities in EU face hate speech, violence and discrimination
- Bulgaria and Italy trail in EU on gay rights legislation
- 'Changing gender should be as easy as changing car numberplate'
- Equality and LGBTI Rights
- Reding should 'stick neck out' on gay rights
- Same-sex marriage underlines social change in Ireland
- Airline worker's rights breached by crucifix ban, court says
- Gay rights is EU entry criterion, Brussels says
Very private security
- Controversial British firm wins EU security job in Gaza
- Very private security
- EUobserver investigative reports
- InvestigationEU men with guns: a comedy of errors
- Security firm wins EU contract despite tax problem
- About Andrew Rettman
- EU bins security contract, annoys Libya
- EU to spend €50mn on private security in Afghanistan
- Question marks over EU contract for Libya security firm
- Ashton to spend €15mn on private security firms
- AgendaEU leaders discuss energy and tax next WEEK17'th @ 18:36
- Culture to get special treatment in US trade talks, Barroso says17'th @ 09:30
- Europeans expect bleak future, survey finds17'th @ 09:28
- Hollande calls for euro government to beat recession17'th @ 09:25
- AnalysisCold War politics hang over EU shale gas revolution17'th @ 09:21
- EU sets timeline for single telecoms market17'th @ 09:05
- Greens launch US-style primary for EU top jobs17'th @ 09:01
- Protests as Germany opens giant Barbie house17'th @ 08:57
- FocusEU ministers urge Reding to do more for gay rights17'th @ 08:24
- Response to Hungary is test for EU16'th @ 17:21
- Confederation of Swedish Enterprise: State of the union – Where is the EU heading?
- ACCA: ACCA encourages EU leaders to be bold in the fight against tax fraud and evasion
- EIPA: Practical Tools for Implementation of EU Policies at the National Level: Modules 1 and 2 Luxembourg, 24-27 September 2013
- ACCA: Future of IFRS: what purpose(s) do we want annual accounts to serve?
- businessfruit: Think on Your Feet. Write, Speak, Present with Impact. Join the Academy: 24-26 June, Brussels.
- AEBIOM: Join the 4th AEBIOM Bioenergy Conference organized by the European Biomass Association on 17-19 June, Brussels
- EIPA: European e-Justice and practical solutions - Beginners level: Luxembourg, 23 May 2013. Advanced level: Luxembourg, 24 May 2013
- The untold story of Libya's Mahmud GebrilInside Arab Spring
- U-turn, please!Another Look
- Going against fears in AmericaGlobal challenges
- About spin and DIYAnother Look
- The capture of tax haven Ireland: "the bankers, hedge funds got virtually everything they wanted"Escape from Europe
- The year in picturesSuper Commuter
- Not the Jihadists but we are the problemInside Arab Spring
- Whose idea was this?Another Look
- Across the Atlantic, another take on riskGlobal challenges
- The Caspian Arms RaceWider Black Sea