20.03.12 @ 15:34
Lukashenko's foreign policy is defined by greed and fear. Meanwhile, beyond geopolitics, average people live in the shadow of the country's terrible 20th century history.
20.03.12 @ 09:07
20.03.12 @ 09:07
20.03.12 @ 09:07
20.03.12 @ 09:12
Lithuania and Poland handed over confidential bank details to Belarus that led to the arrest of human rights defender, Ales Bialistki.
02.04.12 @ 09:15
A former officer in the 'Diamond' - Lukashenko's elite bodyguard - who lives in exile in the EU, says he "cannot remain indifferent" to the brutality of the regime.
20.03.12 @ 16:20
Underground culture is flourishing in the heart of Belarus despite regime attempts to establish control.
20.03.12 @ 09:11
Eighteen years and still in power, Belarus leader Alexander Lukashenko retains a mesmerising hold on a country which glorifies Soviet-era rule.
27.03.12 @ 09:09
Belarus' former leader - Stanislav Shushkevich - says Lukashenko is an "arse-kisser" whose power will wane if the EU imposes economic sanctions.
20.03.12 @ 09:24
Even as Lukashenko becomes increasingly cruel and unusual, the EU capital is seeing an unprecedented amount of lobbying on his behalf.
30.03.12 @ 09:19
The EU in March blacklisted 29 Belarusian companies, but the measures are a drop in the ocean in terms of Belarus-EU economic relations.
30.03.12 @ 09:22
Money from the London-based European Bank for Reconstruction and Development has been distributed to individuals connected to Belarus’ President Alexander Lukashenko, according to a career politician in the regime.
30.03.12 @ 16:50
Belarus' future nuclear plant, situated just 50km from Vilnius, sits on a fault line which saw a 7.0 magnitude earthquake in 1909.
27.03.12 @ 09:10
Young people in Belarus who defy the regime are denied their education, jailed or punished by reprisals against their family. Many of them just want to leave.
News in Brief
- Dutch coalition saved by deal on health bill@ 01:27
- Irish PM pressures ECB to show up at inquiry@ 01:26
- Merkel: We never created laws favouring big corporations@ 00:11
- Germany wants 'successful' presidentials in Greece@ 00:10
- Luxembourg agrees to share tax secrets18'th @ 22:44
- Belgium adds 10 years to lifespan of 30-year-old reactors18'th @ 22:43
- Tusk gets his way with one-day summit18'th @ 20:47
- Schulz: Unclear if investment fund ready by June18'th @ 17:54
- Merkel: EU strategy is to maintain Russia sanctions@ 01:36
- TTIP deal by end of 2015, EU leaders pledge@ 01:34
- EU leaders want 'urgent' action on investment fund18'th @ 22:29
- OpinionEU-Turkey ties will survive war of words18'th @ 21:07
- Court crushes EU plan to join human rights convention18'th @ 18:36
- Dutch PM misses EU summit to save coalition18'th @ 18:23
- Russian economic turmoil to last two years18'th @ 18:14
- EU's Crimea sanctions to give Putin new headache18'th @ 13:33
- Jan Philipp Albrecht: Study on Data Retention after the Judgement of the Court of Justice of the European Union
- Cecilia Wikström: EU Governments must come clean on CIA torture programme
- Tonino Picula: Georgia needs support of the European Union today!
- Michael Theurer: Noch mehr Schulden sind nicht der Ausweg aus der Schuldenfalle!
- Eva Paunova: Granted JA-YE and AmCham EU Youth Entrepreneurship Award
- Tonino Picula: The youngest European state deserves future in EU, I said to FMA after visiting Kosovo
- Eva Paunova: Meets US Chief negotiator on TTIP during diplomatic visit in Washington DC
- Jerzy Buzek: Congratulations to the town Kisielice for winning the EU 2014 ManagEnergy Award
- Victor Negrescu: S&D40 members meeting with the leader of the S&D Group, Gianni Pitella
- Jan Philipp Albrecht: Digital market/Google: MEPs fail to focus consumer rights and net neutrality
- Carbon Market Watch: Report shows carbon offsets from Alberta’s tar sands jeopardize EU fuel rules
- Counter Balance: Juncker's investment offensive targets dodgy projects, new stories everyday
- EBF: Downward trend in bank robberies continues
- EBF: Adoption of fourth EU Anti-Money Laundering Directive
- European Federalist Party: Results of the Lima Conference
- COFACE: News - December 2014
- Oxfam: EU executives’ fixation with private sector compromises commitment to poor people
- Martens Centre: 5 reasons why the end of South Stream should mark the start of Energy Union
- Dialogue Platform: Calls for release of journalists detained in Turkey
- EMHRN: Egypt: Const. Committee Testify to Baselessness of Charges in Shura Council Case