20.03.12 @ 15:34
Lukashenko's foreign policy is defined by greed and fear. Meanwhile, beyond geopolitics, average people live in the shadow of the country's terrible 20th century history.
20.03.12 @ 09:07
20.03.12 @ 09:07
20.03.12 @ 09:07
20.03.12 @ 09:12
Lithuania and Poland handed over confidential bank details to Belarus that led to the arrest of human rights defender, Ales Bialistki.
02.04.12 @ 09:15
A former officer in the 'Diamond' - Lukashenko's elite bodyguard - who lives in exile in the EU, says he "cannot remain indifferent" to the brutality of the regime.
20.03.12 @ 16:20
Underground culture is flourishing in the heart of Belarus despite regime attempts to establish control.
20.03.12 @ 09:11
Eighteen years and still in power, Belarus leader Alexander Lukashenko retains a mesmerising hold on a country which glorifies Soviet-era rule.
27.03.12 @ 09:09
Belarus' former leader - Stanislav Shushkevich - says Lukashenko is an "arse-kisser" whose power will wane if the EU imposes economic sanctions.
20.03.12 @ 09:24
Even as Lukashenko becomes increasingly cruel and unusual, the EU capital is seeing an unprecedented amount of lobbying on his behalf.
30.03.12 @ 09:19
The EU in March blacklisted 29 Belarusian companies, but the measures are a drop in the ocean in terms of Belarus-EU economic relations.
30.03.12 @ 09:22
Money from the London-based European Bank for Reconstruction and Development has been distributed to individuals connected to Belarus’ President Alexander Lukashenko, according to a career politician in the regime.
30.03.12 @ 16:50
Belarus' future nuclear plant, situated just 50km from Vilnius, sits on a fault line which saw a 7.0 magnitude earthquake in 1909.
27.03.12 @ 09:10
Young people in Belarus who defy the regime are denied their education, jailed or punished by reprisals against their family. Many of them just want to leave.
News in Brief
- Commissioners have to be 'as flexible as fooballers'@ 17:17
- US welcomes new EU sanctions threat@ 14:15
- Lithuania gets final OK to join euro@ 13:23
- Russian oligarchs moving money out of London@ 09:35
- Netherlands in day of national mourning@ 09:04
- EU reinforces santions on Syria@ 08:59
- Italy makes arrests over migrant deaths@ 08:59
- EU set to announce weakened 2030 energy savings target@ 08:57
- Russia angst sees EU energy efficiency targets watered down@ 17:26
- Rome continues to push Italian FM to replace Ashton@ 16:02
- EU grapples with smugglers as people fleeing conflict face torture@ 09:28
- Deutsche Bank under fire in the US@ 09:16
- UK is still sending arms to Russia, say MPs@ 09:12
- AnalysisLeaked paper: EU options on 'stage three' Russia sanctions22'nd @ 20:42
- EU defends Israel's Gaza incursion22'nd @ 20:14
- OpinionGaza: ‘Burning the consciousness’22'nd @ 18:21
- IFSBH: Join our new initiative: People United for Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus!
- ACCA: Supports a coherent EU Single Market as to the balance of competences in the UK
- EIPA: Preparing for New EPSO Competitions: Luxembourg, 08 September 2014
- EIPA: Tools for Implementation of EU Policies at National Level. Luxembourg, 22-25/ 09/ 2014
- EPHA: 5th Annual Conference 4-5 September 2014, Brussels | Register before 31st July
- Centre Maurits Coppieters: Launches a new youtube channel
- ACCA: Implementing the New European Accounting Directive: Making the right choices
- UNESDA: Impact of food taxes on public health inconclusive and contradictory as per EC study
- European Federalist Party: Juncker is the 1st elected European Commission President
- Martens Centre: Register now for event on 9 Sept: Banking and Monetary Union 2014-2019