20.03.12 @ 15:34
Lukashenko's foreign policy is defined by greed and fear. Meanwhile, beyond geopolitics, average people live in the shadow of the country's terrible 20th century history.
20.03.12 @ 09:07
20.03.12 @ 09:07
20.03.12 @ 09:07
20.03.12 @ 09:12
Lithuania and Poland handed over confidential bank details to Belarus that led to the arrest of human rights defender, Ales Bialistki.
02.04.12 @ 09:15
A former officer in the 'Diamond' - Lukashenko's elite bodyguard - who lives in exile in the EU, says he "cannot remain indifferent" to the brutality of the regime.
20.03.12 @ 16:20
Underground culture is flourishing in the heart of Belarus despite regime attempts to establish control.
20.03.12 @ 09:11
Eighteen years and still in power, Belarus leader Alexander Lukashenko retains a mesmerising hold on a country which glorifies Soviet-era rule.
27.03.12 @ 09:09
Belarus' former leader - Stanislav Shushkevich - says Lukashenko is an "arse-kisser" whose power will wane if the EU imposes economic sanctions.
20.03.12 @ 09:24
Even as Lukashenko becomes increasingly cruel and unusual, the EU capital is seeing an unprecedented amount of lobbying on his behalf.
30.03.12 @ 09:19
The EU in March blacklisted 29 Belarusian companies, but the measures are a drop in the ocean in terms of Belarus-EU economic relations.
30.03.12 @ 09:22
Money from the London-based European Bank for Reconstruction and Development has been distributed to individuals connected to Belarus’ President Alexander Lukashenko, according to a career politician in the regime.
30.03.12 @ 16:50
Belarus' future nuclear plant, situated just 50km from Vilnius, sits on a fault line which saw a 7.0 magnitude earthquake in 1909.
27.03.12 @ 09:10
Young people in Belarus who defy the regime are denied their education, jailed or punished by reprisals against their family. Many of them just want to leave.
News in Brief
- Romanian commissioner gets EP thumbs-up@ 12:11
- Italy worst in implementing EU laws@ 09:32
- New Nato chief wants closer co-operation with EU@ 09:31
- EU cracks down on Ryanair@ 09:26
- Spanish commissioner under fire for oil firm links1'st @ 20:10
- UK's Hill to go through second EP hearing1'st @ 20:07
- Jail time teaches new EU commissioner justice lesson1'st @ 19:56
- 'No commissioners will have a veto'1'st @ 14:40
- Eastern countries oppose EU climate goals@ 09:31
- Gas war escalates as Russia halves Slovakia supplies@ 09:30
- The new Polish government: What to expect?@ 09:29
- France 'rejects austerity' in controversial budget@ 07:33
- Spain's Canete entangled in EP political battle@ 07:25
- MEPs summon UK's Hill to second hearing1'st @ 21:19
- Ombudsman: 'Now the hard work begins'1'st @ 18:58
- 'Frozen conflict' looming in east Ukraine, EU diplomats say1'st @ 09:49
- Autism Europe: Raising awareness about sex education for people with learning disabilities
- The European MOVE Week: Underway to get Europeans active in sport - click here for more info
- Oxfam: Ahead of TTIP, Europe seeks to expand pharma monopoly at expense of people
- EN.DELFI: Russian Soldiers - cheap and luckless
- EBF: Financial Integration Report highlights ongoing fragmentation
- ACCA: Evaluating the impact of IFRS in the EU
- EN.DELFI: Putin forces West to choose between Ukraine and Middle East
- Swedish Enterprises: ECIPE demystifies investor-state dispute settlements in trade agreements
- Martens Centre: Building a Lifeline for Freedom - Eastern Partnership 2.0 Brussels, 07 October