20.03.12 @ 15:34
Lukashenko's foreign policy is defined by greed and fear. Meanwhile, beyond geopolitics, average people live in the shadow of the country's terrible 20th century history.
20.03.12 @ 09:07
20.03.12 @ 09:07
20.03.12 @ 09:07
20.03.12 @ 09:12
Lithuania and Poland handed over confidential bank details to Belarus that led to the arrest of human rights defender, Ales Bialistki.
02.04.12 @ 09:15
A former officer in the 'Diamond' - Lukashenko's elite bodyguard - who lives in exile in the EU, says he "cannot remain indifferent" to the brutality of the regime.
20.03.12 @ 16:20
Underground culture is flourishing in the heart of Belarus despite regime attempts to establish control.
20.03.12 @ 09:11
Eighteen years and still in power, Belarus leader Alexander Lukashenko retains a mesmerising hold on a country which glorifies Soviet-era rule.
27.03.12 @ 09:09
Belarus' former leader - Stanislav Shushkevich - says Lukashenko is an "arse-kisser" whose power will wane if the EU imposes economic sanctions.
20.03.12 @ 09:24
Even as Lukashenko becomes increasingly cruel and unusual, the EU capital is seeing an unprecedented amount of lobbying on his behalf.
30.03.12 @ 09:19
The EU in March blacklisted 29 Belarusian companies, but the measures are a drop in the ocean in terms of Belarus-EU economic relations.
30.03.12 @ 09:22
Money from the London-based European Bank for Reconstruction and Development has been distributed to individuals connected to Belarus’ President Alexander Lukashenko, according to a career politician in the regime.
30.03.12 @ 16:50
Belarus' future nuclear plant, situated just 50km from Vilnius, sits on a fault line which saw a 7.0 magnitude earthquake in 1909.
27.03.12 @ 09:10
Young people in Belarus who defy the regime are denied their education, jailed or punished by reprisals against their family. Many of them just want to leave.
News in Brief
- EU farmers won't get full Russian sanction compensation@ 09:03
- Calais mayor might close port to stop migration wave@ 09:02
- Obama in Estonia ahead of Nato summit@ 08:59
- Grillo calls for quarantine of immigrants@ 08:57
- Investors return to Greek real estate market@ 08:55
- Swiss economy flatlines2'nd @ 16:36
- Scotland independence vote narrows2'nd @ 08:44
- EU draft report critical of Turkey2'nd @ 08:43
- OpinionNato shouldn’t abandon Afghanistan’s women@ 08:31
- Mogherini backs Western Balkan enlargement2'nd @ 20:29
- France wants to create new EU migration post2'nd @ 16:34
- Juncker starts interviews for new EU commission2'nd @ 13:41
- Berlin-Paris tensions re-emerge as ECB ponders stimulus2'nd @ 09:29
- New EU appointees speak out against Russia2'nd @ 09:24
- Who is Tusk and what does he mean for the EU?1'st @ 18:44
- Cameron faces new EU referendum backlash1'st @ 09:22
- Counter Balance: Azerbaijan political prisoners list published with reports authors on it
- Centre Maurits Coppieters: Dinner-debate on Iraq’s Kurdistan and prospects for Peace
- EUA: EU 2015 Budget negotiations: EUA warns against making cuts to research payments
- EPSU: New Commission must end corporate dominance of EU expert groups
- Martens Centre: Register now for the event “A Changing Eastern Neighbourhood”
- Martens Centre: Register now for event on 9 Sept: Banking and Monetary Union 2014-2019
- EuFoA: Tension rises in Nagorno-Karabakh as ceasefire negotiations are underway
- ACCA: Supports a coherent EU Single Market as to the balance of competences in the UK
- EIPA: Preparing for New EPSO Competitions: Luxembourg, 08 September 2014
- EIPA: Tools for Implementation of EU Policies at National Level. Luxembourg, 22-25/ 09/ 2014