20.03.12 @ 15:34
Lukashenko's foreign policy is defined by greed and fear. Meanwhile, beyond geopolitics, average people live in the shadow of the country's terrible 20th century history.
20.03.12 @ 09:07
20.03.12 @ 09:07
20.03.12 @ 09:07
20.03.12 @ 09:12
Lithuania and Poland handed over confidential bank details to Belarus that led to the arrest of human rights defender, Ales Bialistki.
02.04.12 @ 09:15
A former officer in the 'Diamond' - Lukashenko's elite bodyguard - who lives in exile in the EU, says he "cannot remain indifferent" to the brutality of the regime.
20.03.12 @ 16:20
Underground culture is flourishing in the heart of Belarus despite regime attempts to establish control.
20.03.12 @ 09:11
Eighteen years and still in power, Belarus leader Alexander Lukashenko retains a mesmerising hold on a country which glorifies Soviet-era rule.
27.03.12 @ 09:09
Belarus' former leader - Stanislav Shushkevich - says Lukashenko is an "arse-kisser" whose power will wane if the EU imposes economic sanctions.
20.03.12 @ 09:24
Even as Lukashenko becomes increasingly cruel and unusual, the EU capital is seeing an unprecedented amount of lobbying on his behalf.
30.03.12 @ 09:19
The EU in March blacklisted 29 Belarusian companies, but the measures are a drop in the ocean in terms of Belarus-EU economic relations.
30.03.12 @ 09:22
Money from the London-based European Bank for Reconstruction and Development has been distributed to individuals connected to Belarus’ President Alexander Lukashenko, according to a career politician in the regime.
30.03.12 @ 16:50
Belarus' future nuclear plant, situated just 50km from Vilnius, sits on a fault line which saw a 7.0 magnitude earthquake in 1909.
27.03.12 @ 09:10
Young people in Belarus who defy the regime are denied their education, jailed or punished by reprisals against their family. Many of them just want to leave.
News in Brief
- EU ombudsman candidates announced
- IMF: Cyprus should return to growth in 2015
- Eurozone bank 'stress tests' delayed until next year
- Westerwelle in Serbia and Kosovo to speed up deal
- Merkel: Hollande's euro government idea 'interesting'
- Schaeuble blames EU commission for inaction on youth unemployment
- Germany buries Eurohawk drone project
- European jihadists in Syria spook Germany
- China wants EU to drop telecoms probe
- Russia positions warships near Syria
- Hack the EU: IT security cuts cause concern@ 09:03
- Leaked report damns Cyprus on money laundering@ 08:56
- AgendaEU leaders discuss energy and tax next WEEK17'th @ 18:36
- Culture to get special treatment in US trade talks, Barroso says17'th @ 09:30
- Europeans expect bleak future, survey finds17'th @ 09:28
- Hollande calls for euro government to beat recession17'th @ 09:25
- AnalysisCold War politics hang over EU shale gas revolution17'th @ 09:21
- EU sets timeline for single telecoms market17'th @ 09:05
- Greens launch US-style primary for EU top jobs17'th @ 09:01
- Protests as Germany opens giant Barbie house17'th @ 08:57
- Confederation of Swedish Enterprise: State of the union – Where is the EU heading?
- ACCA: ACCA encourages EU leaders to be bold in the fight against tax fraud and evasion
- EIPA: Practical Tools for Implementation of EU Policies at the National Level: Modules 1 and 2 Luxembourg, 24-27 September 2013
- ACCA: Future of IFRS: what purpose(s) do we want annual accounts to serve?
- businessfruit: Think on Your Feet. Write, Speak, Present with Impact. Join the Academy: 24-26 June, Brussels.
- AEBIOM: Join the 4th AEBIOM Bioenergy Conference organized by the European Biomass Association on 17-19 June, Brussels
- EIPA: European e-Justice and practical solutions - Beginners level: Luxembourg, 23 May 2013. Advanced level: Luxembourg, 24 May 2013
- Pentecost on the prairieGlobal challenges
- The untold story of Libya's Mahmud GebrilInside Arab Spring
- U-turn, please!Another Look
- Going against fears in AmericaGlobal challenges
- About spin and DIYAnother Look
- The capture of tax haven Ireland: "the bankers, hedge funds got virtually everything they wanted"Escape from Europe
- The year in picturesSuper Commuter
- Not the Jihadists but we are the problemInside Arab Spring
- Whose idea was this?Another Look
- Across the Atlantic, another take on riskGlobal challenges