10.12.11 @ 15:46
The international community calls for calm as the main opposition leader declares himself victor.
01.11.11 @ 09:02
01.11.11 @ 09:02
01.11.11 @ 09:00
05.12.11 @ 21:54
Post-electoral tensions in the Democratic Republic of Congo spilled onto the streets of Brussels on Monday, with angry supporters of opposition presidential candidate Etienne Tshisekedi damaging vehicles and briefly occupying the EU capital’s inner ring-road.
25.11.11 @ 15:11
The EU has pushed for greater Congolese 'ownership' of the upcoming elections, but bouts of violence have already broken out across the country.
14.11.11 @ 10:42
EU security missions in Congo have scored a number of technical successes, but fundamental problems remain untouched.
02.12.11 @ 12:15
Scenes of chaos in the Democratic Republic of Congo this week have given way to fears of a protracted standoff between opposing sides.
18.11.11 @ 18:09
The exploitation of certain minerals in eastern Congo is fueling the region's ongoing conflict, but the EU's response is still unclear.
04.11.11 @ 15:56
The DRC's Virunga National Park is teaming with wildlife but also sits atop huge oil deposits, traditionally a magnet for corruption in parts of Africa. New EU legislation covering the extractive industry may help.
01.11.11 @ 09:02
The Democratic Republic of Congo was last year the largest recipient of EU support among ACP states. But critics say this approach has failed, drawing a question mark over the EU's next step.
07.07.11 @ 09:53
The EU needs to check how its funds are being used in Congo and make sure the country doesn't descend into Ivory Coast-type violence after the presidential elections in November, opposition leader Medard Mulangala said in an interview.
News in Brief
- EU fears Yanukovych to take 'revenge' on protesters
- Young Social Democrats vote against Merkel's coalition
- Report: Ukraine agrees to join Russia's Customs Union
- Berlin euro meeting 'one of many,' commission says
- MEPs head to Kiev, as authorities threaten crackdown
- Merkel has 'no memory' of pressuring Spain
- Mini-Eurogroup aims to reach deal on banking authority
- Germany offers technical support to France in Africa
- Gazprom hits back at EU on South Stream
- Schaeuble to host mini-Eurogroup on banking union
- Merkel denies pressuring Spain on bailout6'th @ 18:28
- EU data protection bill 'moves backwards'6'th @ 17:57
- Snowden to make video appearance at EU parliament6'th @ 16:35
- Ukraine and Bulgaria show power of EU model6'th @ 11:48
- France goes to war in Africa to 'save lives'6'th @ 09:29
- World pays tribute to Mandela6'th @ 09:29
- EU says No to Russian pipeline, as Ukraine talks resume6'th @ 09:29
- EU financial tax is legal, commission lawyers say6'th @ 09:24
- UK and Germany dislike EU 'welfare tourism' plan6'th @ 09:23
- Political open season6'th @ 09:22
- Birdlife: Wind farms: new report provides latest know-how on reducing environmental impact
- EMHRN: Israel’s Culture of Impunity: Nothing Less than Accountability!
- ECPA: Crop diversity, food safety and food security under threat in Europe
- EPF: Press conference on cross-border healthcare and patients' rights
- ACCA: Improved transparency in auditor reporting - making it a reality in the EU
- OGP: EU domestic shale gas production could add a million jobs, new study shows
- ICSS: Joins Council of Europe & Sorbonne to host EU forum on integrity in sport
- FIA: Greater cooperation to deliver new car technologies to consumers
- EFA-ECC: Lessons to address the poor state of COPD care in Europe
- EMHRN: Violence against women, bleeding wound in the Syrian conflict
"We want to avoid a post-electoral situation like in the Ivory Coast," says Congolese MP Medard Mulangala, who heads the main opposition party in Congo, the Union for a Republican Majority.
- What happened to the EU2020 strategy?Progressive Change
- This is a very dead horse - stop floggingAnother Look
- Facebook isn't our friendExposing Corporate Europe
- Moscow Never SleepsBelarus Reloaded
- The trouble with Europe’s big thinking? Europe’s big states.Super Commuter
- Don´t take their word for itAnother Look
- Eurasian Union's problem with Russian nationalismNeighbourhood
- COP 19: Walking about Warsaw in circlesGlobal challenges
- Does UKIP now have the cash to cause an earthquake?The Fox Edition
- The EU budget farce is over....for now at leastThe Fox Edition