10.12.11 @ 15:46
The international community calls for calm as the main opposition leader declares himself victor.
01.11.11 @ 09:02
01.11.11 @ 09:02
01.11.11 @ 09:00
05.12.11 @ 21:54
Post-electoral tensions in the Democratic Republic of Congo spilled onto the streets of Brussels on Monday, with angry supporters of opposition presidential candidate Etienne Tshisekedi damaging vehicles and briefly occupying the EU capital’s inner ring-road.
25.11.11 @ 15:11
The EU has pushed for greater Congolese 'ownership' of the upcoming elections, but bouts of violence have already broken out across the country.
14.11.11 @ 10:42
EU security missions in Congo have scored a number of technical successes, but fundamental problems remain untouched.
02.12.11 @ 12:15
Scenes of chaos in the Democratic Republic of Congo this week have given way to fears of a protracted standoff between opposing sides.
18.11.11 @ 18:09
The exploitation of certain minerals in eastern Congo is fueling the region's ongoing conflict, but the EU's response is still unclear.
04.11.11 @ 15:56
The DRC's Virunga National Park is teaming with wildlife but also sits atop huge oil deposits, traditionally a magnet for corruption in parts of Africa. New EU legislation covering the extractive industry may help.
01.11.11 @ 09:02
The Democratic Republic of Congo was last year the largest recipient of EU support among ACP states. But critics say this approach has failed, drawing a question mark over the EU's next step.
07.07.11 @ 09:53
The EU needs to check how its funds are being used in Congo and make sure the country doesn't descend into Ivory Coast-type violence after the presidential elections in November, opposition leader Medard Mulangala said in an interview.
News in Brief
- German brewers: shale gas exploitation may ruin beer
- Netherlands not a tax haven, says Merkel
- France willing to put Hezbollah on EU blacklist
- EU 'proud' on asylum seekers
- Paris court to question IMF chief Lagarde
- Millions of Italians unable to afford heating: Report
- Germany supports putting Hezbollah on EU terror list
- Vending machines reject new €5 notes
- Norway says UN should consider Magnitsky sanctions
- EU warns Georgia on trial of former PM
- EU anti-fraud chief defends role in Dalligate23'rd @ 19:09
- EU retreats from olive oil ban after wave of ridicule23'rd @ 17:42
- Amnesty: EU states guilty of racism, homophobia23'rd @ 09:38
- Delay austerity and increase investment, IMF warns UK23'rd @ 09:30
- FocusGermany and Greece: huge gulf in youth unemployment23'rd @ 09:26
- Victims of violence set for EU-wide protection22'nd @ 22:24
- EU leaders see progress on lifting bank secrecy22'nd @ 22:22
- EU summit backs shale gas 'revolution'22'nd @ 20:12
- Ireland on the defensive in Apple tax row22'nd @ 09:42
- Britain files request for EU sanctions on Hezbollah22'nd @ 09:29
- CESI: Tax administration staff joins EU institutions in serious concern over tax evasion and tax fraud
- Counter Balance: Register! ‘Facing the future or looking at the past? New energy policies at EIB/EBRD’ 27/05 EU Parliament
- EIPA: Summer school on EU Law and its Implementation, organised in Luxembourg from 01 to 12 July 2013
- Confederation of Swedish Enterprise: State of the union – Where is the EU heading?
- ACCA: ACCA encourages EU leaders to be bold in the fight against tax fraud and evasion
- EIPA: Practical Tools for Implementation of EU Policies at the National Level: Modules 1 and 2 Luxembourg, 24-27 September 2013
- ACCA: Future of IFRS: what purpose(s) do we want annual accounts to serve?
"We want to avoid a post-electoral situation like in the Ivory Coast," says Congolese MP Medard Mulangala, who heads the main opposition party in Congo, the Union for a Republican Majority.
- The Finance curse - my new bookEscape from Europe
- Yes, this is what we need the EU forAnother Look
- Pentecost on the prairieGlobal challenges
- The untold story of Libya's Mahmud GebrilInside Arab Spring
- U-turn, please!Another Look
- Going against fears in AmericaGlobal challenges
- About spin and DIYAnother Look
- The capture of tax haven Ireland: "the bankers, hedge funds got virtually everything they wanted"Escape from Europe
- The year in picturesSuper Commuter
- Not the Jihadists but we are the problemInside Arab Spring