08.03.13 @ 09:29
Industry lobbyists have downgraded EU countries in their world ranking of top performers on cloud computing, as the Union prepares to overhaul its data protection rules.
03.12.12 @ 13:39
23.03.12 @ 17:40
12.04.12 @ 10:07
12.03.12 @ 10:56
06.03.13 @ 17:45
The European Union has hit software giant Microsoft with a €561 million fine in one of the bloc's biggest anti-trust settlements.
27.09.12 @ 10:40
The creative industries and culture sector are a “largely untapped resource” in the European economy, according to a paper released on Wednesday by the European Commission.
05.09.12 @ 09:24
The European Commission is under pressure to keep to its self-imposed September deadline to publish an EU cloud computing strategy, as new evidence revealed widespread public confusion about it.
30.11.12 @ 17:33
The question of copyrights and the music industry was already old and vexed. The digital age, with the advent of millions of songs accessible at the click of a mouse, has added an extra layer.
20.09.12 @ 09:29
Governments and industry should invest €45 billion in cloud computing by 2020 as part of an EU strategy to generate an estimated €900 billion in GDP and an additional 3.8 billion by the end of the decade.
14.08.12 @ 08:49
National governments and the EU should maintain state funding for the arts instead of leaving it to markets, EU culture commissioner Androulla Vassiliou has said.
03.08.12 @ 08:09
French and British regulators have demanded access to all Wi-Fi data collected for Google’s Street View site.
24.07.12 @ 20:07
Plans for tighter EU rules on Internet service providers have been pushed back to 2013 after the European Commission this week launched a public consultation lasting until mid-October.
06.07.12 @ 18:37
Companies using cloud computing services must “guarantee” compliance with EU data rules, according to the EU’s leading data protection watchdog.
04.07.12 @ 19:47
The little-loved anti-counterfeit treaty, Acta, has collapsed after MEPs in the European Parliament vetoed it by an overwhelming majority.
26.07.12 @ 09:32
Search-engine Google is set to avoid fines worth up to $4 billion after the European Commission's competition boss Joaquin Almunia publicly acknowledged that a deal is close.
12.07.12 @ 17:16
Plans to re-write EU rules on music copyright have received a cool reception by artists and collecting societies.
11.07.12 @ 09:14
The EU's collecting societies have not adapted to the global shift to the digital age. Instead, music pirates seize the opportunities that the online world offers, writes Michel Barnier, EU commissioner for Internal Market and Services.
04.07.12 @ 16:53
The European Commission is refusing to be drawn on steps made by Internet search-engine Google to avoid an EU fine of up to €3.8 billion.
News in Brief
- EU suspends Iran sanctions until July@ 10:36
- EU parliament postpones Palestine vote@ 08:40
- US to send tanks to eastern Europe@ 08:39
- Air pollution costs EU up to €189bn in 2012, says EU agency@ 08:37
- Greek ships rescue hundreds of migrants@ 08:36
- EU migration commissioner: Pope's signal received25'th @ 18:22
- EU court upholds Rubik's Cube trademark25'th @ 18:20
- France suspends Russia warship delivery 'until further notice'25'th @ 15:30
- Reports multiply of Kremlin links to anti-EU parties@ 09:29
- Eurozone 'grinding to standstill', OECD warns@ 09:29
- FeatureInvitations sent out for next EU-Russia 'summit'25'th @ 21:01
- Juncker's plan: Making €60bn worth five times more25'th @ 21:01
- EU commission to publish more trade documents in bid for public support25'th @ 20:04
- EU funds airline data-sharing despite legal concerns25'th @ 19:10
- Member states owe EU over €320bn25'th @ 18:49
- EU is 'aged and weary', pope says25'th @ 15:34
MEPS from the Parliament's trade committee outline why they are unhappy with the current Acta dossier.
- Eva Paunova: Digital techs must be recognised as best route to growth and development
- Jan Philipp Albrecht: EU-Canada PNR scheme must have legality assessed by European Court
- Cecilia Wikström: Interview - From a priest to an MEP
- Martina Dlabajová: Still no discharge for the Council from the Budgetary Control Committee
- Jerzy Buzek: Reindustrialisation & climate targets married via research on clean coal technologies
- Michael Theurer: Dalligate II: Time to return to the facts and follow checks and balances
- Danuta Hübner: Awarded with The Legion of Honour for her contribution to EU integration
- Victor Negrescu: The Next Generation Innovators
- Access Now: Save the Internet: The EU MS are about to turn their backs on Net Neutrality
- EU Spirits: Do you know how apples & pears go into a bottle ?
- China EU Mission: Amb. Yang Yanyi: Asia-Pacific cooperation offers opportunities for Europe
- Martens Centre: Invites you to the Transatlantic Think Tank Conference on 4 Dec, register now!
- EMHRN: Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women: Bleak Picture for the Euro-Med Region
- EN:DEFI: US forces will stay in Baltic states to deter Russia
- Red Cross: Humanitarian approach to migration needed in the EU to protect the rights of migrants
- Caritas Europa: Europe 2020 will not deliver if dominated by economic drivers
- PlasticsEurope: Agreement on plastic bags: concern about negative effects on Internal Market
- World Vision: Where are the rights you promised us ?