08.03.13 @ 09:29
Industry lobbyists have downgraded EU countries in their world ranking of top performers on cloud computing, as the Union prepares to overhaul its data protection rules.
03.12.12 @ 13:39
23.03.12 @ 17:40
12.04.12 @ 10:07
12.03.12 @ 10:56
06.03.13 @ 17:45
The European Union has hit software giant Microsoft with a €561 million fine in one of the bloc's biggest anti-trust settlements.
27.09.12 @ 10:40
The creative industries and culture sector are a “largely untapped resource” in the European economy, according to a paper released on Wednesday by the European Commission.
05.09.12 @ 09:24
The European Commission is under pressure to keep to its self-imposed September deadline to publish an EU cloud computing strategy, as new evidence revealed widespread public confusion about it.
30.11.12 @ 17:33
The question of copyrights and the music industry was already old and vexed. The digital age, with the advent of millions of songs accessible at the click of a mouse, has added an extra layer.
20.09.12 @ 09:29
Governments and industry should invest €45 billion in cloud computing by 2020 as part of an EU strategy to generate an estimated €900 billion in GDP and an additional 3.8 billion by the end of the decade.
14.08.12 @ 08:49
National governments and the EU should maintain state funding for the arts instead of leaving it to markets, EU culture commissioner Androulla Vassiliou has said.
03.08.12 @ 08:09
French and British regulators have demanded access to all Wi-Fi data collected for Google’s Street View site.
24.07.12 @ 20:07
Plans for tighter EU rules on Internet service providers have been pushed back to 2013 after the European Commission this week launched a public consultation lasting until mid-October.
06.07.12 @ 18:37
Companies using cloud computing services must “guarantee” compliance with EU data rules, according to the EU’s leading data protection watchdog.
04.07.12 @ 19:47
The little-loved anti-counterfeit treaty, Acta, has collapsed after MEPs in the European Parliament vetoed it by an overwhelming majority.
26.07.12 @ 09:32
Search-engine Google is set to avoid fines worth up to $4 billion after the European Commission's competition boss Joaquin Almunia publicly acknowledged that a deal is close.
12.07.12 @ 17:16
Plans to re-write EU rules on music copyright have received a cool reception by artists and collecting societies.
11.07.12 @ 09:14
The EU's collecting societies have not adapted to the global shift to the digital age. Instead, music pirates seize the opportunities that the online world offers, writes Michel Barnier, EU commissioner for Internal Market and Services.
04.07.12 @ 16:53
The European Commission is refusing to be drawn on steps made by Internet search-engine Google to avoid an EU fine of up to €3.8 billion.
News in Brief
- Police protest in Brussels with empty boxes@ 17:33
- MEPs back subsidies for tobacco crops@ 17:31
- Italy asked to justify national budget plans@ 13:10
- 2015 EU budget up for tough negotiations@ 09:01
- Nine migrants injured in rush on Spanish border fence@ 09:00
- Hungary to press charges against Norway-funded NGO@ 09:00
- Russian plane violates Estonia airspace@ 07:44
- Lega Nord signs partnership with Putin party22'nd @ 16:05
- Barroso clashes with Italy over published budget warning@ 15:32
- Poll shows UK support for EU at 20-year high@ 13:38
- An American in Strasbourg: US ambassador woos MEPs on trade pact@ 10:24
- Quarter of a million Ukrainians came to EU last year@ 09:34
- EU leaders gear up for heated climate summit@ 09:29
- Irish senators build EU momentum on Palestine recognition@ 09:28
- OpinionEU states should follow Sweden on Palestine@ 09:24
- EU fiscal rules won't be changed, says Juncker22'nd @ 19:55
MEPS from the Parliament's trade committee outline why they are unhappy with the current Acta dossier.
- Counter Balance: Thousands urge the EU Commission to ditch biodiversity offsetting
- Oxfam: Bolder EU response needed to help stop Ebola spiralling out of control
- CESI: Ebola requires action: CESI demands full protection of healthcare workers at risk
- EGBA: Want to know how the EU online betting industry fights match-fixing?
- Access Now: Commissioners hearings: The many faces of Digital in the new Commission
- CESI: Taxation at the heart of the crisis, CESI Europe Academy discusses #TaxinEU
- Oxfam: EU needs to do more to stop the spread of Ebola
- EPSU: Ebola outbreak in West Africa - Health Workers in the frontline need our support
- EuFoA: First Nagorno-Karabakh Group announced in the European Parliament
- Oxfam: Four solutions to economic inequality