25.10.12 @ 10:54
For cash-strapped EU member states, spending on culture is not a priority. Yet the sector drives economic growth and employs millions of people across the European Union. EUobserver looks at the issues.
01.11.12 @ 13:20
The EU commission has said Poland's prosecution of a rock group on grounds of "blasphemy" is out of tune with European values.
12.11.12 @ 10:26
30.11.12 @ 17:33
25.10.12 @ 10:56
30.10.12 @ 08:49
In general in Europe, those in the north are more culturally savvy than those in the south, if statistics are anything to go by. But there are some outliers.
25.10.12 @ 10:56
In early 2012, Pablo Lag stood in front of an abandoned, half-constructed house in Alicante and kicked in the door. Inside, he began work on an art exhibition “to make people in the world know what is happening in Spain.”
25.10.12 @ 10:52
The EU culture budget is a fraction of what member states spend. But its proposed increase is unlikely to emerge unscathed from budget talks.
News in Brief
- EU loses €177 billion in unpaid VAT@ 19:18
- Schulz: climate deal 'essence' of EU summit@ 19:05
- EU pledges €24.4 million for Ebola research@ 19:01
- Climate change 'question of survival', says outgoing EU chief@ 18:31
- Greece to represent Cyprus at EU summit, while president recovers@ 18:29
- Police protest in Brussels with empty boxes@ 17:33
- MEPs back subsidies for tobacco crops@ 17:31
- Italy asked to justify national budget plans@ 13:10
- Barroso clashes with Italy over published budget warning@ 15:32
- Poll shows UK support for EU at 20-year high@ 13:38
- An American in Strasbourg: US ambassador woos MEPs on trade pact@ 10:24
- Quarter of a million Ukrainians came to EU last year@ 09:34
- EU leaders gear up for heated climate summit@ 09:29
- Irish senators build EU momentum on Palestine recognition@ 09:28
- OpinionEU states should follow Sweden on Palestine@ 09:24
- EU fiscal rules won't be changed, says Juncker22'nd @ 19:55
How can the rules for collective management of copyrights be adapted to the age of digital music? This was the key question at the EUobserver conference on E-Culture and collective management of creative rights.
- Counter Balance: Thousands urge the EU Commission to ditch biodiversity offsetting
- Oxfam: Bolder EU response needed to help stop Ebola spiralling out of control
- CESI: Ebola requires action: CESI demands full protection of healthcare workers at risk
- EGBA: Want to know how the EU online betting industry fights match-fixing?
- Access Now: Commissioners hearings: The many faces of Digital in the new Commission
- CESI: Taxation at the heart of the crisis, CESI Europe Academy discusses #TaxinEU
- Oxfam: EU needs to do more to stop the spread of Ebola
- EPSU: Ebola outbreak in West Africa - Health Workers in the frontline need our support
- EuFoA: First Nagorno-Karabakh Group announced in the European Parliament
- Oxfam: Four solutions to economic inequality