15.05.13 @ 09:27
Criminals are using bitcoins and other unregulated digital currencies as a payment method of choice when blackmailing companies following a data breach.
07.05.13 @ 08:19
Those who support the EU's proposed data protection bill and those who oppose it are putting forward vastly different figures on the cost of the new law.
03.05.13 @ 09:24
The metal box in Hugo Campos’ chest keeps him alive. It also collects data. Who owns it and how they use it is posing questions for EU lawmakers.
25.04.12 @ 07:47
Heated debate on online privacy law has re-emerged in Washington with the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act set to be the first bill on internet piracy to be adopted by the US Congress.
06.05.13 @ 09:28
German Green Jan Philipp Albrecht is overseeing one of the most complex pieces of legislation to ever hit the European Parliament.
28.01.13 @ 09:18
An obscure section in a US law is said to entitle authorities to access, without a warrant, data stored by any EU citizen on clouds run by American companies.
18.02.12 @ 08:30
Justice Commissioner Viviane Reding has insisted that US authorities cannot override EU laws on data privacy, following concerns expressed by MEPs that US laws and subpoenas could force EU companies to disclose personal data to US law enforcement agencies.
23.01.12 @ 19:15
A group of 25 of the world’s leading information and communication technology (ICT) firms have joined forces in a bid to improve cyber security for children in the EU.
15.06.11 @ 09:15
A global internet police force, digital passports in order for users to go online, cyber crime as an 'integrated part' of virtual reality - this is how Russian anti-virus expert Eugene Kaspersky sees the future of the online world.
05.04.11 @ 16:22
As technology progresses and we move towards a state of being constantly connected, in a world where all objects can always be traced, the question of what is happening to people's personal data has become one of the hottest societal and regulatory issues in the EU.
20.05.11 @ 18:16
EU institutions are setting up a joint team of internet security experts some three months after the European Commission was hacked in a bid to get sensitive data on external relations and monetary issues.
23.06.11 @ 09:26
The Netherlands has become the first EU member state to enshrine in law the concept of net neutrality, the idea that there should be no hierarchy of information or services in the internet.
25.05.11 @ 09:24
The European Commission has proposed a new law that would permit the digitisation of millions of books, magazine articles, films and audio recordings that currently rest in copyright limbo.
05.04.11 @ 16:22
Estonian Economy minister Johan Parts says the quicker everyone in Europe has electronic ID the easier it will be for the EU to implement it Digital Agenda plans. Read more in the EUobserver April FOCUS on Digital Agenda
20.04.11 @ 09:27
As the European Commission enters the final straits in its preparation of proposals on the collecting of royalties for artists and protecting intellectual property rights, two camps are preparing for battle.
News in Brief
- Grillo movement closes in on Italian PM's party: poll24'th @ 11:06
- Scottish choice of monetary system crucial, says ratings agency24'th @ 09:37
- Russia invites EU for gas talks24'th @ 09:17
- Juncker promises fair deal for Britain24'th @ 09:14
- Deutsche Bank under pressure to raise capital24'th @ 09:13
- Thousands of expats leave Spain24'th @ 09:13
- Portuguese bond yield falls to record low24'th @ 09:11
- Eurozone deficit rates fall within 3 percent EU limit23'rd @ 17:31
- Complex rules make EU vulnerable to corruption, says report24'th @ 10:56
- EU ElectionsAnti-euro talk spreads in Italy24'th @ 09:28
- Turkish PM offers 'condolences' to Armenia over WWI killings24'th @ 09:12
- Greek records first surplus as EU moves closer to balanced budgets23'rd @ 17:38
- OpinionEU and Ukraine: too busy to protect gay rights?23'rd @ 14:14
- EU ElectionsEU elections may strengthen Putin in Europe23'rd @ 09:29
- Italian right calls for end to migrant rescue programme23'rd @ 09:29
- US to send 600 troops to Baltics, Poland amid Ukraine tensions23'rd @ 09:16
- IrRADIARE: Energaia launches a sustainability observatory @ the EU Sustainable Energy Week
- EIUC: Venice School of Human Rights 2014, apply here
- Veneto Region: The European future of the Italian port system - Presentation of the book
- Transparency International: Report on corruption risks in the EU institutions
- TNS Opinion: David Cameron takes the lead on Twitter
- ACCA: European Parliament backs non financial reporting deals
- CESI: TTIP: Fears of the Unknown, Registration for CESI@noon lunch debate on Mon 28th April
- ThinkYoung: We want to listen your opinion on youth unemployment & skills mismatch
- EIPA: Summer School on EU law & its Implementation, Luxembourg, 30/06 until 11/07
- EIPA: The Infringement Procedure under Articles 258 & 260 TFEU - Luxembourg 19-20/06/14