15.05.13 @ 09:27
Criminals are using bitcoins and other unregulated digital currencies as a payment method of choice when blackmailing companies following a data breach.
07.05.13 @ 08:19
Those who support the EU's proposed data protection bill and those who oppose it are putting forward vastly different figures on the cost of the new law.
03.05.13 @ 09:24
The metal box in Hugo Campos’ chest keeps him alive. It also collects data. Who owns it and how they use it is posing questions for EU lawmakers.
25.04.12 @ 07:47
Heated debate on online privacy law has re-emerged in Washington with the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act set to be the first bill on internet piracy to be adopted by the US Congress.
06.05.13 @ 09:28
German Green Jan Philipp Albrecht is overseeing one of the most complex pieces of legislation to ever hit the European Parliament.
28.01.13 @ 09:18
An obscure section in a US law is said to entitle authorities to access, without a warrant, data stored by any EU citizen on clouds run by American companies.
18.02.12 @ 08:30
Justice Commissioner Viviane Reding has insisted that US authorities cannot override EU laws on data privacy, following concerns expressed by MEPs that US laws and subpoenas could force EU companies to disclose personal data to US law enforcement agencies.
23.01.12 @ 19:15
A group of 25 of the world’s leading information and communication technology (ICT) firms have joined forces in a bid to improve cyber security for children in the EU.
15.06.11 @ 09:15
A global internet police force, digital passports in order for users to go online, cyber crime as an 'integrated part' of virtual reality - this is how Russian anti-virus expert Eugene Kaspersky sees the future of the online world.
05.04.11 @ 16:22
As technology progresses and we move towards a state of being constantly connected, in a world where all objects can always be traced, the question of what is happening to people's personal data has become one of the hottest societal and regulatory issues in the EU.
20.05.11 @ 18:16
EU institutions are setting up a joint team of internet security experts some three months after the European Commission was hacked in a bid to get sensitive data on external relations and monetary issues.
23.06.11 @ 09:26
The Netherlands has become the first EU member state to enshrine in law the concept of net neutrality, the idea that there should be no hierarchy of information or services in the internet.
25.05.11 @ 09:24
The European Commission has proposed a new law that would permit the digitisation of millions of books, magazine articles, films and audio recordings that currently rest in copyright limbo.
05.04.11 @ 16:22
Estonian Economy minister Johan Parts says the quicker everyone in Europe has electronic ID the easier it will be for the EU to implement it Digital Agenda plans. Read more in the EUobserver April FOCUS on Digital Agenda
20.04.11 @ 09:27
As the European Commission enters the final straits in its preparation of proposals on the collecting of royalties for artists and protecting intellectual property rights, two camps are preparing for battle.
News in Brief
- Court clears Anglo-Irish boss@ 09:26
- Juncker wants politicians in EU commission, not bureaucrats@ 09:26
- Nato increases military presence in eastern Europe@ 09:26
- EU and Switzerland edging closer to free movement deal@ 09:25
- MEPs back cross-border pension rights16'th @ 10:01
- Industry wary of new EU rules on lorry design16'th @ 10:01
- Ukip leader 'taking legal advice' on expenses allegations16'th @ 10:00
- French MEP recalls trips to see porn films16'th @ 10:00
- Russia and China forge closer ties as EU explores sanctions@ 09:29
- Europe faces worst human rights 'crisis' in decades@ 09:29
- MEPs upset over Schulz's double role as president and candidate@ 09:25
- EU countries to boost defence budgets in light of Ukraine16'th @ 09:29
- EU parliament gives final nod to banking union16'th @ 09:21
- EU ElectionsGerman centre-right election posters show Merkel, not Juncker16'th @ 09:15
- Regional unemployment highest in Spain16'th @ 09:14
- OpinionLearning from the past: EU aid in the Eastern Partnership16'th @ 07:41
- ThinkYoung: We want to listen your opinion on youth unemployment & skills mismatch
- EIPA: Summer School on EU law & its Implementation, Luxembourg, 30/06 until 11/07
- EIPA: The Infringement Procedure under Articles 258 & 260 TFEU - Luxembourg 19-20/06/14
- ACCA: New rules to improve shareholder engagement and corporate governance reporting
- European Youth Forum: Open letter to EU bodies, MS and CoE on the situation in Ukraine
- Oxfam: European overseas aid slightly increases but lags behind global trend
- EUA: Changing Landscapes in Learning and Teaching’: Report from the Annual Conference
- Regione Puglia: Capacity building course for regional officers on EU decision-making: 7-11/04
- EJC: President Kantor calls Jobbik electoral gains "a dark day for Europe"
- Oxfam: The staggering cost of armed violence to Africa