17.05.13 @ 09:30
Special treatment of culture "makes sense" European Commission President Barroso has said in relation to upcoming EU-US trade talks.
15.04.13 @ 19:23
18.03.13 @ 17:56
17.05.13 @ 09:05
Digital agenda commissioner Kroes has promised to roll out a single telecoms market throughout the EU before leaving office.
15.05.13 @ 17:47
French President Hollande, battling record unpopularity and a struggling economy, has tried to change the narrative by saying he is being buffeted by outside forces.
15.05.13 @ 10:01
Austria and Luxembourg have blocked an EU deal to increase tax transparency despite pressure from major EU states.
16.05.13 @ 09:19
Experts in the EU Council have questioned the legality of proposed cuts to EU officials' benefits, amid new strike action in Brussels.
15.05.13 @ 17:45
The eurozone economy continues to shrink as Germany's economy grew by a meagre 0.1 percent in the past three months, while France slid back into recession, fresh Eurostat data show.
15.05.13 @ 09:29
The European Commission has tabled several scenarios for the withdrawal of the 1 and 2 euro cent coins, with the cost of printing these coins greater than their use.
15.05.13 @ 09:27
Criminals are using bitcoins and other unregulated digital currencies as a payment method of choice when blackmailing companies following a data breach.
14.05.13 @ 09:05
A June deal on the seven year EU budget framework is "definitely reachable", said EU budget commissioner Janusz Lewandowski on Monday.
13.05.13 @ 17:12
The EU commission wants to tighten tax loopholes for EU citizens who hold accounts in member states and in Switzerland, Andorra, San Marino, Monaco and Lichtenstein.
08.05.13 @ 17:57
EU ministers will on Monday debate a report on Cyprus money laundering. Sources say it contains nothing shocking, but levels of secrecy are "very" high.
14.05.13 @ 09:28
Luxembourg, one of the EU's smallest but richest countries, has said No to a new law against tax evasion.
14.05.13 @ 00:02
The EU on Monday said many Cypriot banks do not know who their customers really are, but wired Nicosia €2 billion anyway.
09.05.13 @ 20:55
US treasury chief Jack Lew will repeat calls for Germany to drag the eurozone out of recession, according to US government sources.
08.05.13 @ 08:23
Small businesses such as bed and breakfasts or cafes will have to hire a data protection officer under new rules currently being fine-tuned by MEPs.
News in Brief
- Member states disagree on EU agencies merger
- EU leaders to keep one commissioner per country
- MEP threatens court action over access to documents
- Kosovo and Serbia leaders to meet in Brussels
- Google needs to pay tax, says UK
- Anti-semitism and anti-Muslim rhetoric on the rise, says report
- France must reform, says German EU commissioner
- EU ombudsman candidates announced
- Brzezinski: EU-US trade pact can halt West's decline
- EU sets timeline for single telecoms market
- EU governments get cold feet on transactions tax
- Commission: €11bn extra or we could halt EU payments
- AnalysisPoor pay: the flipside of Germany's low unemployment
- France threatens US trade veto over culture
- EU diplomats to spend more on salaries, less on security
- UK deal on Caribbean tax havens boosts prospect of EU-wide crackdown
- Leaked report damns Cyprus on money laundering
- Barroso: trust Merkel, she knows what she's doing
Equality & LGBTI Rights
- EU ministers urge Reding to do more for gay rights
- Targeted action requires clear plan … LGBTI issues are no different
- Report: sexual minorities in EU face hate speech, violence and discrimination
- Bulgaria and Italy trail in EU on gay rights legislation
- 'Changing gender should be as easy as changing car numberplate'
- Equality and LGBTI Rights
- Reding should 'stick neck out' on gay rights
- Same-sex marriage underlines social change in Ireland
- Airline worker's rights breached by crucifix ban, court says
- Gay rights is EU entry criterion, Brussels says
Very private security
- Controversial British firm wins EU security job in Gaza
- Very private security
- EUobserver investigative reports
- InvestigationEU men with guns: a comedy of errors
- Security firm wins EU contract despite tax problem
- About Andrew Rettman
- EU bins security contract, annoys Libya
- EU to spend €50mn on private security in Afghanistan
- Question marks over EU contract for Libya security firm
- Ashton to spend €15mn on private security firms
- British PM tries to break deadlock on tax havens@ 09:36
- Russia asks Interpol to track Magnitsky campaigner@ 09:30
- MEPs vote to protect small bank depositors@ 09:27
- EU should help Bangladesh workers to unionise@ 09:24
- German politicians outraged at Orban's Nazi jibe@ 09:20
- Hack the EU: IT security cuts cause concern20'th @ 09:03
- Leaked report damns Cyprus on money laundering20'th @ 08:56
- AgendaEU leaders discuss energy and tax next WEEK17'th @ 18:36
- Culture to get special treatment in US trade talks, Barroso says17'th @ 09:30
- Europeans expect bleak future, survey finds17'th @ 09:28
- Counter Balance: Register! ‘Facing the future or looking at the past? New energy policies at EIB/EBRD’ 27/05 EU Parliament
- EIPA: Summer school on EU Law and its Implementation, organised in Luxembourg from 01 to 12 July 2013
- Confederation of Swedish Enterprise: State of the union – Where is the EU heading?
- ACCA: ACCA encourages EU leaders to be bold in the fight against tax fraud and evasion
- EIPA: Practical Tools for Implementation of EU Policies at the National Level: Modules 1 and 2 Luxembourg, 24-27 September 2013
- ACCA: Future of IFRS: what purpose(s) do we want annual accounts to serve?
- businessfruit: Think on Your Feet. Write, Speak, Present with Impact. Join the Academy: 24-26 June, Brussels.
- Yes, this is what we need the EU forAnother Look
- Pentecost on the prairieGlobal challenges
- The untold story of Libya's Mahmud GebrilInside Arab Spring
- U-turn, please!Another Look
- Going against fears in AmericaGlobal challenges
- About spin and DIYAnother Look
- The capture of tax haven Ireland: "the bankers, hedge funds got virtually everything they wanted"Escape from Europe
- The year in picturesSuper Commuter
- Not the Jihadists but we are the problemInside Arab Spring
- Whose idea was this?Another Look