Incoming EU commission president Jean-Claude Juncker has come up with a canny distribution of portfolios for this new team but a layer of 'uber-commissioners' is potentially the most important change.
01.10.14 @ 08:51
A blunder during the hearing of the Swedish commissioner shows the degree of intervention by Jean-Claude Juncker's chief of staff when drafting answers for commissioners-to-be.
26.09.14 @ 08:57
26.09.14 @ 08:14
25.09.14 @ 17:19
24.09.14 @ 17:17
30.09.14 @ 20:12
The EU’s next neighbourhood commissioner was tougher than expected on Russia at his EU parliament hearing on Tuesday.
30.09.14 @ 17:52
EU economics commissioner Pierre Moscovici will have to share his powers on national budgets with fiscal hawk and commission vice-president Valdis Dombrovskis.
29.09.14 @ 18:50
The EU's likely next trade commissioner has signalled that controversial investor protection rules could ultimately be left out of a US free trade deal.
30.09.14 @ 19:07
Dimitris Avramopoulos, the incoming Greek EU commissioner for migration and home affairs, wants foreign EU embassies to allow people to apply for asylum.
30.09.14 @ 09:29
Juncker has defended his decision to shift the health technology and pharmaceutical policy services back to the more lobby-friendly internal market directorate.
30.09.14 @ 10:32
The EU’s incoming digital commissioner, Gunther Oettinger, emphasised infrastructure as key to Europe’s so-called digital economy at a hearing with MEPs on Monday.
29.09.14 @ 18:19
EU commissioner for home affairs Cecilia Malmstrom on Monday rejected allegations she colluded with the Americans to water down EU data protection rules.
25.09.14 @ 07:52
MEPs are preparing "lively" hearings for the new commissioners-to-be, with the Spanish, British, Slovenian, and Hungarian candidates likely to have the hardest time of it.
11.09.14 @ 09:29
Even Jean-Claude Juncker’s critics would agree that the new Commission president is a skilled deal-maker.
01.07.14 @ 12:46
Martin Schulz was elected European Parliament president on Tuesday becoming the first ever to hold the post for two consecutive terms. He promised to fight for more powers for the EP.
27.06.14 @ 19:31
The British PM said he would "do it all again," despite being soundly defeated in his bid to prevent Juncker becoming the next EU commission chief.
27.06.14 @ 19:19
From prodigy politician in Luxembourg to master of deception as Eurogroup chair, Jean-Claude Juncker brings both experience and baggage with his nomination as EU commission president.
27.06.14 @ 18:01
Appointing Jean-Claude Juncker and Martin Schulz to top EU posts means the eurosceptic vote is being ignored, says Dutch anti-EU deputy.
26.06.14 @ 19:45
Centre-right leaders and MEPs have said the Socialists cannot get three EU top posts, while indicating a preference for the EU Council job.
26.06.14 @ 17:42
The incoming European Parliament is to hit the ground running in the coming days as it forms, hears commissioners, hosts EU leaders, and takes a potentially ground-breaking vote on the new EU commission president.
24.06.14 @ 09:29
Far-right duo Marine Le Pen and Geert Wilders have failed to form a group in the European Parliament.
24.06.14 @ 08:15
A four-page "strategic agenda for the Union in times of change", penned by Van Rompuy, aims to end public disenchantment with EU politics.
20.06.14 @ 09:19
In June 2013, Matteo Renzi was still pretending that his greatest ambition was to serve a second mandate as mayor of Florence. Now he is emerging as the biggest counterweight to German Chancellor Angela Merkel on the EU political landscape.
29.09.14 @ 09:45
Spain's Canete has said he wants a mandatory lobbyists' register, while Sweden's Malmstrom wants more transparency on US trade in written answers ahead of EP hearings.
17.09.14 @ 17:04
The European Parliament is preparing a set of "obstacle course" hearings for incoming EU commissioners with recent past form showing that at least one of the designates will fall by the wayside.
09.09.14 @ 18:06
The new EU commission chief is to present his new team and their posts on Wednesday. Here is a round-up of the latest portfolio speculations.
30.06.14 @ 09:27
British PM Cameron has reached out to Juncker, after having failed to prevent his nomination as European Commission chief.
27.06.14 @ 17:15
EU leaders have nominated Juncker to be the next European Commission chief, doling out a major diplomatic defeat for London.
27.06.14 @ 19:08
EU leaders have said they plan to review the process for choosing EU commission presidents in the future after having found themselves left with little room for manoeuvre following a parliament-pushed process.
27.06.14 @ 07:58
National MPs want more powers in EU law-making, according to a letter backed by most of the EU’s national parliaments.
26.06.14 @ 19:26
Italy’s social democrats have bagged the European Parliament’s influential economic affairs committee, as the assembly’s political groups reached a deal on Thursday.
26.06.14 @ 07:14
Leaders are to pick the next EU commission chief in a first-ever vote at the summit on Friday, but other top jobs are to wait for follow-up summit in July.
24.06.14 @ 09:29
UK prime minister David Cameron is to force EU leaders to vote on whether to appoint Jean Claude Juncker to become the next president of the European Commission at a summit later this week.
23.06.14 @ 09:20
Schulz looks poised to continue as European Parliament chief in an emerging deal between the centre-left and centre-right on EU top posts.
Europe is a machine that makes peace, not war. But one part of its peace arsenal should be independent, transnational media and foreign language broadcasts.
The turnout for the European election in May fell to a record low, dealing a blow to claims by politicians - based on initial results - that a three-decade downward trend in voter participation had finally been halted.
News in Brief
- Spanish commissioner under fire for oil firm links@ 20:10
- UK's Hill to go through second EP hearing@ 20:07
- Jail time teaches new EU commissioner justice lesson@ 19:56
- 'No commissioners will have a veto'@ 14:40
- Dijsselbloem urges French to work harder@ 14:29
- Former Nato chief sets up his own consultancy@ 14:24
- MEPs in budget threat over EU commission expert groups@ 14:24
- Barroso warns Putin on 'contravening' Ukraine trade deal@ 13:04
- MEPs summon UK's Hill to second hearing1'st @ 21:19
- Ombudsman: 'Now the hard work begins'1'st @ 18:58
- 'Frozen conflict' looming in east Ukraine, EU diplomats say1'st @ 09:49
- ECB to change rules to buy Greek, Cypriot debt1'st @ 09:21
- Hearings blunder offers glimpse into Juncker's working methods1'st @ 08:51
- New Austrian commissioner backs EU sanctions on Russia30'th @ 20:12
- EU embassies should take asylum requests, new commissioner says30'th @ 19:07
- French EU commissioner to share powers on national budgets30'th @ 17:52
- Autism Europe: Raising awareness about sex education for people with learning disabilities
- The European MOVE Week: Underway to get Europeans active in sport - click here for more info
- Oxfam: Ahead of TTIP, Europe seeks to expand pharma monopoly at expense of people
- EN.DELFI: Russian Soldiers - cheap and luckless
- EBF: Financial Integration Report highlights ongoing fragmentation
- ACCA: Evaluating the impact of IFRS in the EU
- EN.DELFI: Putin forces West to choose between Ukraine and Middle East
- Swedish Enterprises: ECIPE demystifies investor-state dispute settlements in trade agreements
- Martens Centre: Building a Lifeline for Freedom - Eastern Partnership 2.0 Brussels, 07 October