The hearings, the hearings. It's all about the hearings. Please make it stop. Or should that be start?
21.10.14 @ 09:28
Slovenian commissioner Violeta Bulc has survived a three-hour hearing by MEPs, clearing the way for Juncker's team to be voted in on Wednesday.
21.10.14 @ 09:09
17.10.14 @ 17:29
15.10.14 @ 18:12
09.10.14 @ 17:28
15.10.14 @ 09:21
Juncker had an "excellent" impression after meeting the new Slovenian commissioner candidate, Bulc, who is to take over the transport portfolio.
10.10.14 @ 14:43
Slovenian prime minister Miro Cerar has nominated political novice Violeta Bulc for his EU commissioner, despite MEPs' warnings to send someone experienced to avoid a second rejection.
08.10.14 @ 21:43
The European Parliament has rejected Slovenia's candidate for the new EU commission, while approving all other nominees for Juncker's team. He can now ask Ljubljana for a different name or play hardball with the MEPs.
13.10.14 @ 18:22
Juncker is to meet Slovenia's fall-back EU commission candidate, Bulc, on Tuesday, but her nomination is being contested in Ljubljana.
09.10.14 @ 17:13
The withdrawal of the Slovenian commission candidate clears the way for a new nominee, but the Juncker team is still at risk of being delayed.
08.10.14 @ 09:29
MEPs are Wednesday to decide on the five commissioners who failed to get the green light after parliamentary hearings, with the Slovene nominee set for the axe.
07.10.14 @ 18:40
The EU commission's new second-in-command, Frans Timmermans, sailed through his three-hour EU parliament hearing on Tuesday, speaking fluently in five languages and avoiding MEPs' traps.
06.10.14 @ 20:55
The euro is not to blame for the sovereign debt crisis which forced several EU countries into multi-billion euro bailouts, the next commissioner for the single currency told MEPs Monday.
06.10.14 @ 09:25
MEPs gave French commissioner Moscovici a Tuesday deadline for extra questions on EU fiscal rules amid reports Brussels is to reject France's new budget.
03.10.14 @ 12:24
MEPs gave three commissioner nominees a Sunday-evening deadline to answer a list of near-impossible questions.
02.10.14 @ 07:25
A stormy EP hearing with Spain’s Canete on Wednesday ended with the Socialists seeking a delay on his approval, as part of a bigger confrontation between political groups.
30.09.14 @ 20:12
The EU’s next neighbourhood commissioner was tougher than expected on Russia at his EU parliament hearing on Tuesday.
30.09.14 @ 17:52
EU economics commissioner Pierre Moscovici will have to share his powers on national budgets with fiscal hawk and commission vice-president Valdis Dombrovskis.
29.09.14 @ 18:50
The EU's likely next trade commissioner has signalled that controversial investor protection rules could ultimately be left out of a US free trade deal.
29.09.14 @ 18:19
EU commissioner for home affairs Cecilia Malmstrom on Monday rejected allegations she colluded with the Americans to water down EU data protection rules.
25.09.14 @ 07:52
MEPs are preparing "lively" hearings for the new commissioners-to-be, with the Spanish, British, Slovenian, and Hungarian candidates likely to have the hardest time of it.
11.09.14 @ 09:29
Even Jean-Claude Juncker’s critics would agree that the new Commission president is a skilled deal-maker.
01.07.14 @ 12:46
Martin Schulz was elected European Parliament president on Tuesday becoming the first ever to hold the post for two consecutive terms. He promised to fight for more powers for the EP.
07.10.14 @ 09:28
On the last day of commissioner hearings, MEPs will decide what to do with remaining at-risk candidates after rejecting Hungary's Navracsics on culture.
06.10.14 @ 12:28
Hungary's new commissioner has distanced himself from Orban, while the UK's Hill pledged to work in the "general interest" in their bid to win over undecided MEPs.
03.10.14 @ 18:37
France's Moscovici is to answer in writing on how he will make sure countries, including his own, will implement EU deficit-and-debt rules.
03.10.14 @ 09:41
The EU's next competition commissioner, Margrethe Vestager, has promised further "steps" on Google amid increasing complaints against the search engine's dominant position in Europe.
01.10.14 @ 21:19
MEPs have summoned the UK’s European Commission nominee, Jonathan Hill, to a second hearing amid concerns on Banking Union and Eurobonds.
30.09.14 @ 19:07
Dimitris Avramopoulos, the incoming Greek EU commissioner for migration and home affairs, wants foreign EU embassies to allow people to apply for asylum.
30.09.14 @ 09:29
Juncker has defended his decision to shift the health technology and pharmaceutical policy services back to the more lobby-friendly internal market directorate.
30.09.14 @ 10:32
The EU’s incoming digital commissioner, Gunther Oettinger, emphasised infrastructure as key to Europe’s so-called digital economy at a hearing with MEPs on Monday.
29.09.14 @ 09:45
Spain's Canete has said he wants a mandatory lobbyists' register, while Sweden's Malmstrom wants more transparency on US trade in written answers ahead of EP hearings.
17.09.14 @ 17:04
The European Parliament is preparing a set of "obstacle course" hearings for incoming EU commissioners with recent past form showing that at least one of the designates will fall by the wayside.
09.09.14 @ 18:06
The new EU commission chief is to present his new team and their posts on Wednesday. Here is a round-up of the latest portfolio speculations.
A blunder during the hearing of the Swedish commissioner shows the degree of intervention by Jean-Claude Juncker's chief of staff when drafting answers for commissioners-to-be.
Incoming EU commission president Jean-Claude Juncker has come up with a canny distribution of portfolios for this new team but a layer of 'uber-commissioners' is potentially the most important change.
News in Brief
- Bribery allegations mar Greek presidential vote19'th @ 14:14
- Russia seeks to jail top anti-corruption activist for 10 years19'th @ 14:13
- IMF holds back tranche for Cyprus19'th @ 09:04
- Tsipras wants to 'cancel austerity' if elected19'th @ 09:03
- Poroshenko calls on parliament to adopt bill on joining Nato19'th @ 09:03
- Italian president to step down19'th @ 09:03
- Poland warns of veto on UK migrant benefits cuts plan19'th @ 09:02
- Dutch coalition saved by deal on health bill19'th @ 01:27
- Tusk praised for 'short, concise' EU summit19'th @ 16:49
- Thousands protest in Brussels against EU-US trade ageement19'th @ 16:45
- Luxembourg caves in to EU tax listing demands19'th @ 09:01
- Merkel: EU strategy is to maintain Russia sanctions19'th @ 01:36
- TTIP by end of 2015, EU leaders pledge19'th @ 01:34
- EU leaders want 'urgent' action on investment fund18'th @ 22:29
- OpinionEU-Turkey ties will survive war of words18'th @ 21:07
- Court crushes EU plan to join human rights convention18'th @ 18:36
- Jan Philipp Albrecht: Study on Data Retention after the Judgement of the Court of Justice of the European Union
- Cecilia Wikström: EU Governments must come clean on CIA torture programme
- Tonino Picula: Georgia needs support of the European Union today!
- Michael Theurer: Noch mehr Schulden sind nicht der Ausweg aus der Schuldenfalle!
- Eva Paunova: Granted JA-YE and AmCham EU Youth Entrepreneurship Award
- Tonino Picula: The youngest European state deserves future in EU, I said to FMA after visiting Kosovo
- Eva Paunova: Meets US Chief negotiator on TTIP during diplomatic visit in Washington DC
- Jerzy Buzek: Congratulations to the town Kisielice for winning the EU 2014 ManagEnergy Award
- Victor Negrescu: S&D40 members meeting with the leader of the S&D Group, Gianni Pitella
- Jan Philipp Albrecht: Digital market/Google: MEPs fail to focus consumer rights and net neutrality
- Access Now: U.S. pushing to undermine net neutrality & privacy in major trade agreements
- Carbon Market Watch: Carbon offsets from Alberta’s tar sands jeopardize EU fuel rules
- Counter Balance: Juncker's investment offensive targets dodgy projects, new stories everyday
- EBF: Downward trend in bank robberies continues
- EBF: Adoption of fourth EU Anti-Money Laundering Directive
- COFACE: News - December 2014
- Oxfam: EU executives’ fixation with private sector compromises commitment to poor people
- Martens Centre: 5 reasons why the end of South Stream should mark the start of Energy Union
- Dialogue Platform: Calls for release of journalists detained in Turkey
- EMHRN: Egypt: Const. Committee Testify to Baselessness of Charges in Shura Council Case