The hearings, the hearings. It's all about the hearings. Please make it stop. Or should that be start?
21.10.14 @ 09:28
Slovenian commissioner Violeta Bulc has survived a three-hour hearing by MEPs, clearing the way for Juncker's team to be voted in on Wednesday.
21.10.14 @ 09:09
17.10.14 @ 17:29
15.10.14 @ 18:12
09.10.14 @ 17:28
15.10.14 @ 09:21
Juncker had an "excellent" impression after meeting the new Slovenian commissioner candidate, Bulc, who is to take over the transport portfolio.
10.10.14 @ 14:43
Slovenian prime minister Miro Cerar has nominated political novice Violeta Bulc for his EU commissioner, despite MEPs' warnings to send someone experienced to avoid a second rejection.
08.10.14 @ 21:43
The European Parliament has rejected Slovenia's candidate for the new EU commission, while approving all other nominees for Juncker's team. He can now ask Ljubljana for a different name or play hardball with the MEPs.
13.10.14 @ 18:22
Juncker is to meet Slovenia's fall-back EU commission candidate, Bulc, on Tuesday, but her nomination is being contested in Ljubljana.
09.10.14 @ 17:13
The withdrawal of the Slovenian commission candidate clears the way for a new nominee, but the Juncker team is still at risk of being delayed.
08.10.14 @ 09:29
MEPs are Wednesday to decide on the five commissioners who failed to get the green light after parliamentary hearings, with the Slovene nominee set for the axe.
07.10.14 @ 18:40
The EU commission's new second-in-command, Frans Timmermans, sailed through his three-hour EU parliament hearing on Tuesday, speaking fluently in five languages and avoiding MEPs' traps.
06.10.14 @ 20:55
The euro is not to blame for the sovereign debt crisis which forced several EU countries into multi-billion euro bailouts, the next commissioner for the single currency told MEPs Monday.
06.10.14 @ 09:25
MEPs gave French commissioner Moscovici a Tuesday deadline for extra questions on EU fiscal rules amid reports Brussels is to reject France's new budget.
03.10.14 @ 12:24
MEPs gave three commissioner nominees a Sunday-evening deadline to answer a list of near-impossible questions.
02.10.14 @ 07:25
A stormy EP hearing with Spain’s Canete on Wednesday ended with the Socialists seeking a delay on his approval, as part of a bigger confrontation between political groups.
30.09.14 @ 20:12
The EU’s next neighbourhood commissioner was tougher than expected on Russia at his EU parliament hearing on Tuesday.
30.09.14 @ 17:52
EU economics commissioner Pierre Moscovici will have to share his powers on national budgets with fiscal hawk and commission vice-president Valdis Dombrovskis.
29.09.14 @ 18:50
The EU's likely next trade commissioner has signalled that controversial investor protection rules could ultimately be left out of a US free trade deal.
29.09.14 @ 18:19
EU commissioner for home affairs Cecilia Malmstrom on Monday rejected allegations she colluded with the Americans to water down EU data protection rules.
25.09.14 @ 07:52
MEPs are preparing "lively" hearings for the new commissioners-to-be, with the Spanish, British, Slovenian, and Hungarian candidates likely to have the hardest time of it.
11.09.14 @ 09:29
Even Jean-Claude Juncker’s critics would agree that the new Commission president is a skilled deal-maker.
01.07.14 @ 12:46
Martin Schulz was elected European Parliament president on Tuesday becoming the first ever to hold the post for two consecutive terms. He promised to fight for more powers for the EP.
07.10.14 @ 09:28
On the last day of commissioner hearings, MEPs will decide what to do with remaining at-risk candidates after rejecting Hungary's Navracsics on culture.
06.10.14 @ 12:28
Hungary's new commissioner has distanced himself from Orban, while the UK's Hill pledged to work in the "general interest" in their bid to win over undecided MEPs.
03.10.14 @ 18:37
France's Moscovici is to answer in writing on how he will make sure countries, including his own, will implement EU deficit-and-debt rules.
03.10.14 @ 09:41
The EU's next competition commissioner, Margrethe Vestager, has promised further "steps" on Google amid increasing complaints against the search engine's dominant position in Europe.
01.10.14 @ 21:19
MEPs have summoned the UK’s European Commission nominee, Jonathan Hill, to a second hearing amid concerns on Banking Union and Eurobonds.
30.09.14 @ 19:07
Dimitris Avramopoulos, the incoming Greek EU commissioner for migration and home affairs, wants foreign EU embassies to allow people to apply for asylum.
30.09.14 @ 09:29
Juncker has defended his decision to shift the health technology and pharmaceutical policy services back to the more lobby-friendly internal market directorate.
30.09.14 @ 10:32
The EU’s incoming digital commissioner, Gunther Oettinger, emphasised infrastructure as key to Europe’s so-called digital economy at a hearing with MEPs on Monday.
29.09.14 @ 09:45
Spain's Canete has said he wants a mandatory lobbyists' register, while Sweden's Malmstrom wants more transparency on US trade in written answers ahead of EP hearings.
17.09.14 @ 17:04
The European Parliament is preparing a set of "obstacle course" hearings for incoming EU commissioners with recent past form showing that at least one of the designates will fall by the wayside.
09.09.14 @ 18:06
The new EU commission chief is to present his new team and their posts on Wednesday. Here is a round-up of the latest portfolio speculations.
A blunder during the hearing of the Swedish commissioner shows the degree of intervention by Jean-Claude Juncker's chief of staff when drafting answers for commissioners-to-be.
Incoming EU commission president Jean-Claude Juncker has come up with a canny distribution of portfolios for this new team but a layer of 'uber-commissioners' is potentially the most important change.
News in Brief
- Third bird flu case in the Netherlands21'st @ 16:26
- British Green party backs in/out EU referendum21'st @ 15:08
- UK shelves EU bank bonus challenge21'st @ 15:08
- Italian PM in Strasbourg next week21'st @ 13:49
- Entire commission to be present for Juncker censure21'st @ 13:05
- Orban: Hungary won't sacrifice economy over EU-Russia sanctions21'st @ 09:29
- German EU commissioner doubts French reform drive21'st @ 09:27
- Nato deployed jets 400 times in 201421'st @ 09:23
- OpinionFormer Israeli law chief urges EU parliament to help recognise Palestine21'st @ 18:12
- EU parliament to vote on Palestine statehood21'st @ 18:12
- German commissioner provokes French wrath21'st @ 18:11
- Netherlands to pay EU top-up bill this year21'st @ 16:34
- AgendaEU to unveil investment fund this WEEK21'st @ 16:19
- AnalysisRomania's Obama moment21'st @ 12:00
- Dutch had euro-exit plan at height of crisis21'st @ 09:53
- One year after Euromaidan: 13 people dying every day21'st @ 09:29
- Danuta Hübner: Awarded with The Legion of Honour for her contribution to EU integration
- Jerzy Buzek: Reindustrialisation & climate targets married via research on clean coal technologies
- Cecilia Wikström: Music video with her reflections regarding imprisoned journalist Dawit Isaak
- Jan Philip Albrecht: Study on Data Retention after the Judgement of the Court of Justice of the EU
- Michael Theurer: Dalligate II: Time to return to the facts and follow checks and balances
- Martina Dlabajová: Still no discharge for the Council from the Budgetary Control Committee
- Eva Paunova: Dinner debate on the digital single market – successes and challenges
- Victor Negrescu: The Next Generation Innovators
- China EU Mission: Ambassador Yang Yanyi: Asia-Pacific cooperation offers opportunities for Europe
- Caritas Europa: Europe 2020 will not deliver if dominated by economic drivers
- PlasticsEurope: Agreement on plastic bags: concern about negative effects on Internal Market
- Red Cross: Conference: Promoting Humanitarian Approach in the EU Migration Agenda
- World Vision: Where are the rights you promised us ?
- ACCA: 5th edition of the Ethics in Finance - Robin Cosgrove Prize, 28 January 2015, Brussels
- EPSU: LuxLeaks reveal something is rotten at the heart of Europe
- EJC: After massacre in Jerusalem, EJC calls to condition aid to Palestinians on stop incitement
- SUPERHUB: Main event: Smart Mobility in changing cities (Milan 26/11/2014)
- AEBIOM: Sustainable biomass backs European Economy, 03 December 2014