20.10.14 @ 18:22
The volume of EU lawmaking fell by nearly 40 percent in the last legislative term, according to an internal European Parliament paper.
24.09.14 @ 17:36
11.09.14 @ 09:29
10.09.14 @ 17:29
21.10.13 @ 07:49
20.10.14 @ 09:28
Britain risks “alienating” friends in Europe by loose talk of migration caps, the outgoing EU commission chief is to warn.
08.10.14 @ 09:29
MEPs are Wednesday to decide on the five commissioners who failed to get the green light after parliamentary hearings, with the Slovene nominee set for the axe.
07.10.14 @ 09:28
On the last day of commissioner hearings, MEPs will decide what to do with remaining at-risk candidates after rejecting Hungary's Navracsics on culture.
13.10.14 @ 09:57
Over half of the MEPs have activities outside the European Parliament, earning between €5.8 and €18.3 million on top of their regular salaries, according to a database pooling their declarations of financial interests.
07.10.14 @ 09:29
The EU’s next foreign policy chief, Federica Mogherini, was more hawkish on Russia in an EU parliament hearing which satisfied most MEPs.
03.10.14 @ 12:24
MEPs gave three commissioner nominees a Sunday-evening deadline to answer a list of near-impossible questions.
02.10.14 @ 18:27
Poland’s next commissioner has defended EU plans to take a more business-friendly approach to healthcare.
25.09.14 @ 07:52
MEPs are preparing "lively" hearings for the new commissioners-to-be, with the Spanish, British, Slovenian, and Hungarian candidates likely to have the hardest time of it.
19.09.14 @ 16:06
Catalan leader Artur Mas has said the Scottish referendum has reinforced his plan to hold a similar vote at home.
17.09.14 @ 17:04
The European Parliament is preparing a set of "obstacle course" hearings for incoming EU commissioners with recent past form showing that at least one of the designates will fall by the wayside.
02.10.14 @ 19:14
The next human resources commissioner has promised to be “more proactive” in recruiting staff from under-represented member states.
23.09.14 @ 17:46
EU ombudsman Emily O'Reilly wants more transparency from EU institutions on letting officials switch to the private sector, negotiating trade agreements, and allowing medicines onto the European market.
18.09.14 @ 09:29
Over 4 million people are to cast their vote in favour or against Scottish independence on Thursday, with Spain calling it a "torpedo" against EU integration.
12.09.14 @ 09:27
Almost 2 million Catalans took to the streets of Barcelona on Thursday calling for the right to vote on independence from Spain. A consultative vote is planned for 9 November.
News in Brief
- Report: 25 banks to fail ECB stress tests24'th @ 20:07
- Renzi contradicts Cameron on 'lethal weapon' quote24'th @ 18:09
- Cameron 'angry' over extra EU bill of €2bn24'th @ 15:01
- Ice-cold relations inside the ECB: report24'th @ 09:01
- Soros: EU has lost its way24'th @ 09:00
- European bank stress tests to reveal small problems: report24'th @ 08:59
- Beer and wine fuelled EU climate deal24'th @ 08:57
- No comment from Barroso on extra €2 billion from UK24'th @ 03:32
- Van Rompuy and Barroso leave EU stage with porcelain plates24'th @ 20:13
- Draghi warns eurozone leaders on recession 'relapse'24'th @ 20:09
- Hungary's Orban stonewalls US corruption allegations24'th @ 18:04
- UN welcomes EU climate deal24'th @ 16:58
- Cameron vows to reject €2 billion EU bill24'th @ 16:16
- Cameron slapped with new €2bn EU bill24'th @ 09:47
- Cyprus seeks harsh EU statement on Turkey24'th @ 09:29
- Renzi stirs up EU row ahead of eurozone meeting24'th @ 09:27
- EuroCommerce: New Commission offers fresh approach, but over-ambitious portfolio casts shadow
- EN.DELFI: How Russia wages hybrid energy war against Lithuania
- Oxfam: Europe must review climate targets after weak climate package deal
- Red Cross: A humanitarian approach within the EU Migration Agenda: 20 November @ EESC
- Counter Balance: Thousands urge the EU Commission to ditch biodiversity offsetting
- Oxfam: Bolder EU response needed to help stop Ebola spiralling out of control
- CESI: Ebola requires action: CESI demands full protection of healthcare workers at risk
- EGBA: Want to know how the EU online betting industry fights match-fixing?
- Access Now: Commissioners hearings: The many faces of Digital in the new Commission
- CESI: Taxation at the heart of the crisis, CESI Europe Academy discusses #TaxinEU