Today @ 17:04
The European Parliament is preparing a set of "obstacle course" hearings for incoming EU commissioners with recent past form showing that at least one of the designates will fall by the wayside.
11.09.14 @ 09:29
10.09.14 @ 17:29
21.10.13 @ 07:49
19.02.13 @ 18:36
12.09.14 @ 09:27
Almost 2 million Catalans took to the streets of Barcelona on Thursday calling for the right to vote on independence from Spain. A consultative vote is planned for 9 November.
10.09.14 @ 14:57
The new EU commission will have a less centralised power structure, with Jean-Claude Juncker delegating more responsibilities to his deputies.
09.09.14 @ 18:06
The new EU commission chief is to present his new team and their posts on Wednesday. Here is a round-up of the latest portfolio speculations.
11.09.14 @ 10:03
Jean-Claude Juncker has appointed a Greek EU official as his main spokesperson, part of his revamped media strategy for the new EU commission.
11.09.14 @ 09:18
The EU foreign relations chief is to move her office back to the European Commission to steer a cell of top officials on external policy.
04.09.14 @ 20:09
The list of proposed new EU commissioners is now complete, with enough women for the European Parliament to approve the 28-strong team led by Jean-Claude Juncker.
02.09.14 @ 13:41
Incoming EU commission chief Jean-Claude Juncker has started meeting the nominees for his 28-strong college, but gender balance continues to be a problem.
01.09.14 @ 09:09
Pro-transparency groups and trade unions are urging the European Commission to scale back corporate influence on policy-making decisions.
30.08.14 @ 21:43
EU leaders have chosen Polish PM Tusk as the next EU Council president and Italian minister Mogherini as the bloc's foreign affairs chief.
28.08.14 @ 18:04
A deal is shaping up for Italian foreign minister Mogherini to become the EU's next foreign affairs chief, provided the PM of Poland or a Baltic leader takes up the EU Council presidency.
01.09.14 @ 18:44
Some compare Tusk, the new EU Council chief, to Merkel. But unlike her, he has “given up” on Moscow, with Russia relations set to make or break his EU tenure.
01.09.14 @ 08:59
Italy's Federica Mogherini's will have to hit the ground running as EU's new foreign policy chief as the Russia conflict escalates.
29.08.14 @ 21:24
EU leaders are meeting in Brussels on Saturday to clinch a deal on two top posts and to discuss further sanctions on Russia over its military intervention in Ukraine.
27.08.14 @ 09:28
Italian foreign minister Mogherini may become the next EU foreign policy chief if Polish PM Tusk or a Baltic leader succeeds Van Rompuy as EU Council president.
News in Brief
- EU jobs summit cancelled@ 16:15
- Property markets boom in Estonia, Ireland and UK@ 15:11
- Belgium may get first female prime minister@ 08:46
- French government wins confidence vote@ 08:45
- Spain's commissioner candidate sells oil shares@ 08:45
- EU welcomes migrant tragedy investigation@ 08:44
- European Ombudsman to be elected in January@ 08:43
- EU and Ukrainian parliaments ratify treaty16'th @ 12:38
- MEPs critical of 'underfunded' EU youth employment plan@ 20:52
- EP gears itself up for hearings of new commissioners@ 17:04
- FeatureScotland prepares for life after referendum@ 09:57
- Most Malta boat victims were Gaza refugees@ 09:26
- FocusUS and UK universities top world rankings@ 09:20
- Ukraine gives rebels 'special status', ratifies EU treaty16'th @ 15:22
- EU struggling to cope with Russia food ban16'th @ 13:26
- OpinionThe road ahead for an independent Scotland16'th @ 12:43
- CESI: Event: Working Time Directive – new term, new impetus? 25 September 2014, 1pm-3pm
- Martens Centre: Economic Ideas Forum 2014, 16-17 Oct in Bratislava, register now!
- EBF: Tax Conference to review G20 talks on Automatic Exchange
- EuFoA: Basque Parliament recognizes Nagorno-Karabakh self-determination
- Europeche: EU fishing sector demands responsible and committed future Commissioner
- Eurocommerce: ECJ judgment on MasterCard: a great victory for EU consumers & retailers
- ACCA: The new Commission has the right credentials for the challenges faced by the EU
- Counter Balance: What perspectives on the Project Bond Initiative
- EBF: EBF statement on the Juncker Commission
- Counter Balance: Corporate interest on way to win over the EU banks transparency policy