07.05.13 @ 08:44
With the pride parade season approaching, EUobserver looks at just how progressive European countries really are on the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transexual and intersex (LGBTI) people.
17.05.13 @ 08:24
Fourteen member states have backed a petition urging the European Commission to do more for the rights of sexual minorities, with the last major initiative several years ago.
16.05.13 @ 16:37
If you are a lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans or intersex person in the EU, there is a strong chance you have experienced homophobia or even violence at school.
16.05.13 @ 08:43
Sexual minorities have the most legal protection in the UK while Bulgaria and Italy trail among EU countries when it comes to equality rights and legislation against homophobic violence and hate speech.
27.05.13 @ 13:43
Earlier this month, a small gathering by LGBTI activists was met with a 20,000-strong protest march in Tbilisi. The clashes highlighted the resistance to change in some parts of Georgian society, but they also demonstrated that change is afoot.
16.05.13 @ 09:18
Gay rights are still patchy across the EU, with homosexuality a criminal act in northern Cyprus, Finland reluctant to remove a sterilisation clause in a transgender law and France seeing mass protests against same-sex marriage.
14.05.13 @ 00:09
Ten EU countries require people to be sterilised if they want to change their gender. Activists says the obligation is "beyond comprehension."
07.05.13 @ 08:42
A recent convention in Ireland on same-sex marriage has highlighted the depth of social change in a country that decriminalised homosexuality only 20 years ago.
13.07.12 @ 09:15
The European Commission has said in a written note that respect for gay rights is a legal criterion for EU accession.
15.06.12 @ 18:45
The European Commission on Friday was accused of censorship for omitting from a report on men's health issues such as homosexuality, condom use, divorce and suicide. The commission denies any wrongdoing.
12.06.12 @ 08:36
Mainstream European society is slowly coming to understand lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people. But intersex people in the EU live largely in the dark.
07.05.13 @ 08:43
Gay rights issues are seen as one of the most sensitive issues for politicians to work on, right alongside abortion.
28.06.12 @ 09:22
Lobbyists in the EU capital opposing gay rights are in close contact with American neoconservative organisations, raising questions about where their money comes from.
13.06.12 @ 23:33
MEPs say the EU commission is big on "words, not action" on gay rights. The commission says it uses "actions, not words."
06.06.12 @ 12:43
Polish MEPs are - by far - the least gay-friendly, followed by Latvians, Lithuanians and Italians, with Sweden at the other end of the scale.
News in Brief
- Austria and Luxembourg move on bank secrecy@ 21:39
- Finance ministers try meeting EP half way on banking union@ 21:38
- ECB publishes bank review rulebook@ 21:38
- EU leaders to commemorate outbreak of WWI@ 18:23
- EU summit to call for action on Russian gas@ 15:31
- EU trade deal to save Ukraine €500mn a year@ 15:26
- Moldova may be next on Russia's list, says MEP@ 12:58
- Sweden condemns far-right violence@ 09:17
- New EU citizens' appeal targets press freedom@ 21:41
- MEPs vote to pierce secrecy of trusts in anti-money laundering bill@ 18:38
- First part of EU-Ukraine treaty to enter into life in June@ 18:33
- EU ElectionsSix people injured after violence linked to Swedish far-right@ 11:00
- Cyprus central bank governor resigns@ 09:39
- Khodorkovsky: Putin fears Ukraine 'revolution'@ 09:26
- EU ElectionsFrom boots to suits: Sweden Democrats' extreme roots@ 09:08
- OpinionFrance and Germany should stop arms sales to Russia@ 08:36
- Oxfam: Minding the gender gap in EU overseas aid
- EIPA: Efficiency and Quality of Justice Luxembourg, 27-28 March 2014
- COFACE: and COFACE-Disability on the occasion of International Women’s Day
- Irradiare: EU workshop on biomethane – markets, value chains and applications
- Counter Balance: Take a virtual lobby tour through the heart of the EU
- EMHRN: International Women’s Day: Violence rises, impunity prevails
- EuFoA: Latest paper "EU-Armenia relations: future developments & prospects" published
- Greenpeace: EU energy ministers should get back in the saddle on climate & energy policy
- SUPERHUB: Join us at CeBIT 2014 Hannover the largest fair showcasing IT and telecom solutions
- COFACE: Less than 100 days to go to #EP2014. Need more info ? Sign up for #FamiliesVOTE2014