With protection of minorities a cornerstone of EU values, EUobserver looks at developments on the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transexual and intersex (LGBTI) people in Europe.
29.08.14 @ 10:48
A Greek MP has waged a homophobic twitter war on Luxembourg PM Bettel, prompting a backlash on the social media site.
02.07.14 @ 09:11
19.05.14 @ 22:09
13.05.14 @ 18:07
18.09.13 @ 08:59
16.07.14 @ 20:47
A Finnish citizen who wanted the state to recognise her new gender after surgery and remain legally married to a woman at the same time has lost her case at the European Court of Human Rights.
22.05.14 @ 09:53
While figures with a history of anti-homosexual discourse freely run as candidates for the European Parliament, gay people remain silent about their sexuality in Romania.
15.05.14 @ 08:50
Green, left and Liberal MEPs led the way on gay rights in the outgoing European Parliament, but right-wing populists could hold them back in future.
18.06.14 @ 10:25
The European Parliament's lead negotiator for gay rights was the victim of an acid attack at the Vienna gay pride demonstration over the weekend
16.05.14 @ 08:16
Malta's Prime Minister has urged EU countries to follow his example on extending protection to LGBTI minorities on the eve of international anti-homophobia day.
13.05.14 @ 18:18
Gay communities in Hungary and Finland are facing uphill battles for equal rights with conservative politicians in both countries imposing barriers.
13.05.14 @ 18:07
The EU's agency for fundamental rights says young people are more likely to be victims of homophobic violence than their older peers.
27.05.13 @ 13:43
Earlier this month, a small gathering by LGBTI activists was met with a 20,000-strong protest march in Tbilisi. The clashes highlighted the resistance to change in some parts of Georgian society, but they also demonstrated that change is afoot.
16.05.13 @ 09:18
Gay rights are still patchy across the EU, with homosexuality a criminal act in northern Cyprus, Finland reluctant to remove a sterilisation clause in a transgender law and France seeing mass protests against same-sex marriage.
14.05.13 @ 00:09
Ten EU countries require people to be sterilised if they want to change their gender. Activists says the obligation is "beyond comprehension."
17.05.13 @ 08:24
Fourteen member states have backed a petition urging the European Commission to do more for the rights of sexual minorities, with the last major initiative several years ago.
16.05.13 @ 16:37
If you are a lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans or intersex person in the EU, there is a strong chance you have experienced homophobia or even violence at school.
16.05.13 @ 08:43
Sexual minorities have the most legal protection in the UK while Bulgaria and Italy trail among EU countries when it comes to equality rights and legislation against homophobic violence and hate speech.
07.05.13 @ 08:42
A recent convention in Ireland on same-sex marriage has highlighted the depth of social change in a country that decriminalised homosexuality only 20 years ago.
In an article earlier this week by EUobserver, four top candidates for the next president of the European Commission – Jean-Claude Juncker, Ska Keller, Martin Schulz and Guy Verhofstadt, expressed their support for an EU strategy on LGBTI human rights.
A bearded drag queen winning Europe's pop song contest is seen as a political message to homophobes in Russia and elsewhere.
News in Brief
- Swiss economy flatlines2'nd @ 16:36
- Scotland independence vote narrows2'nd @ 08:44
- EU draft report critical of Turkey2'nd @ 08:43
- Eurozone manufacturing hits 13-month low2'nd @ 08:34
- Greek troika talks in Paris2'nd @ 08:32
- Swedish anti-immigrant party set for big gains2'nd @ 08:31
- Putin told Barroso he could 'take Kiev in two weeks'1'st @ 18:58
- New EU foreign policy chief criticises Putin1'st @ 18:48
- Mogherini backs Western Balkan enlargement2'nd @ 20:29
- France wants to create new EU migration post2'nd @ 16:34
- Juncker starts interviews for new EU commission2'nd @ 13:41
- Berlin-Paris tensions re-emerge as ECB ponders stimulus2'nd @ 09:29
- New EU appointees speak out against Russia2'nd @ 09:24
- Who is Tusk and what does he mean for the EU?1'st @ 18:44
- Cameron faces new EU referendum backlash1'st @ 09:22
- OpinionWhy America is recovering, but Europe is not - Part II1'st @ 09:17
- Counter Balance: Azerbaijan political prisoners list published with reports authors on it
- Centre Maurits Coppieters: Dinner-debate on Iraq’s Kurdistan and prospects for Peace
- EUA: EU 2015 Budget negotiations: EUA warns against making cuts to research payments
- EPSU: New Commission must end corporate dominance of EU expert groups
- Martens Centre: Register now for the event “A Changing Eastern Neighbourhood”
- Martens Centre: Register now for event on 9 Sept: Banking and Monetary Union 2014-2019
- EuFoA: Tension rises in Nagorno-Karabakh as ceasefire negotiations are underway
- ACCA: Supports a coherent EU Single Market as to the balance of competences in the UK
- EIPA: Preparing for New EPSO Competitions: Luxembourg, 08 September 2014
- EIPA: Tools for Implementation of EU Policies at National Level. Luxembourg, 22-25/ 09/ 2014