With protection of minorities a cornerstone of EU values, EUobserver looks at developments on the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transexual and intersex (LGBTI) people in Europe.
09.10.14 @ 17:14
Estonia on Thursday became the first former Soviet republic to grant equal rights to same-sex couples, amid a nasty atmosphere.
02.07.14 @ 09:11
19.05.14 @ 22:09
13.05.14 @ 18:07
18.09.13 @ 08:59
08.10.14 @ 18:07
A defiant Conchita Wurst on Wednesday challenged homophobic politicians and governments opposed to same-sex marriage to overcome their fears.
29.09.14 @ 09:25
Gay people in Serbia held a march in Belgrade on Sunday in what has been described as a “milestone” in the country's history.
16.07.14 @ 20:47
A Finnish citizen who wanted the state to recognise her new gender after surgery and remain legally married to a woman at the same time has lost her case at the European Court of Human Rights.
06.10.14 @ 09:31
Catalonia’s new anti-homophobe legislation could see offenders fined up to €14,000 for attacks carried out against lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transsexuals (LGTB).
29.08.14 @ 10:48
A Greek MP has waged a homophobic twitter war on Luxembourg PM Bettel, prompting a backlash on the social media site.
18.06.14 @ 10:25
The European Parliament's lead negotiator for gay rights was the victim of an acid attack at the Vienna gay pride demonstration over the weekend
22.05.14 @ 09:53
While figures with a history of anti-homosexual discourse freely run as candidates for the European Parliament, gay people remain silent about their sexuality in Romania.
15.05.14 @ 08:50
Green, left and Liberal MEPs led the way on gay rights in the outgoing European Parliament, but right-wing populists could hold them back in future.
13.05.14 @ 18:07
The EU's agency for fundamental rights says young people are more likely to be victims of homophobic violence than their older peers.
27.05.13 @ 13:43
Earlier this month, a small gathering by LGBTI activists was met with a 20,000-strong protest march in Tbilisi. The clashes highlighted the resistance to change in some parts of Georgian society, but they also demonstrated that change is afoot.
16.05.14 @ 08:16
Malta's Prime Minister has urged EU countries to follow his example on extending protection to LGBTI minorities on the eve of international anti-homophobia day.
13.05.14 @ 18:18
Gay communities in Hungary and Finland are facing uphill battles for equal rights with conservative politicians in both countries imposing barriers.
17.05.13 @ 08:24
Fourteen member states have backed a petition urging the European Commission to do more for the rights of sexual minorities, with the last major initiative several years ago.
16.05.13 @ 16:37
If you are a lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans or intersex person in the EU, there is a strong chance you have experienced homophobia or even violence at school.
In an article earlier this week by EUobserver, four top candidates for the next president of the European Commission – Jean-Claude Juncker, Ska Keller, Martin Schulz and Guy Verhofstadt, expressed their support for an EU strategy on LGBTI human rights.
A bearded drag queen winning Europe's pop song contest is seen as a political message to homophobes in Russia and elsewhere.
News in Brief
- Report: 25 banks to fail ECB stress tests24'th @ 20:07
- Renzi contradicts Cameron on 'lethal weapon' quote24'th @ 18:09
- Cameron 'angry' over extra EU bill of €2bn24'th @ 15:01
- Ice-cold relations inside the ECB: report24'th @ 09:01
- Soros: EU has lost its way24'th @ 09:00
- European bank stress tests to reveal small problems: report24'th @ 08:59
- Beer and wine fuelled EU climate deal24'th @ 08:57
- No comment from Barroso on extra €2 billion from UK24'th @ 03:32
- Van Rompuy and Barroso leave EU stage with porcelain plates24'th @ 20:13
- Draghi warns eurozone leaders on recession 'relapse'24'th @ 20:09
- Hungary's Orban stonewalls US corruption allegations24'th @ 18:04
- UN welcomes EU climate deal24'th @ 16:58
- Cameron vows to reject €2 billion EU bill24'th @ 16:16
- Cameron slapped with new €2bn EU bill24'th @ 09:47
- Cyprus seeks harsh EU statement on Turkey24'th @ 09:29
- Renzi stirs up EU row ahead of eurozone meeting24'th @ 09:27
- EuroCommerce: New Commission offers fresh approach, but over-ambitious portfolio casts shadow
- EN.DELFI: How Russia wages hybrid energy war against Lithuania
- Oxfam: Europe must review climate targets after weak climate package deal
- Red Cross: A humanitarian approach within the EU Migration Agenda: 20 November @ EESC
- Counter Balance: Thousands urge the EU Commission to ditch biodiversity offsetting
- Oxfam: Bolder EU response needed to help stop Ebola spiralling out of control
- CESI: Ebola requires action: CESI demands full protection of healthcare workers at risk
- EGBA: Want to know how the EU online betting industry fights match-fixing?
- Access Now: Commissioners hearings: The many faces of Digital in the new Commission
- CESI: Taxation at the heart of the crisis, CESI Europe Academy discusses #TaxinEU