07.05.13 @ 08:44
With the pride parade season approaching, EUobserver looks at just how progressive European countries really are on the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transexual and intersex (LGBTI) people.
17.05.13 @ 08:24
Fourteen member states have backed a petition urging the European Commission to do more for the rights of sexual minorities, with the last major initiative several years ago.
16.05.13 @ 16:37
If you are a lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans or intersex person in the EU, there is a strong chance you have experienced homophobia or even violence at school.
16.05.13 @ 08:43
Sexual minorities have the most legal protection in the UK while Bulgaria and Italy trail among EU countries when it comes to equality rights and legislation against homophobic violence and hate speech.
27.05.13 @ 13:43
Earlier this month, a small gathering by LGBTI activists was met with a 20,000-strong protest march in Tbilisi. The clashes highlighted the resistance to change in some parts of Georgian society, but they also demonstrated that change is afoot.
16.05.13 @ 09:18
Gay rights are still patchy across the EU, with homosexuality a criminal act in northern Cyprus, Finland reluctant to remove a sterilisation clause in a transgender law and France seeing mass protests against same-sex marriage.
14.05.13 @ 00:09
Ten EU countries require people to be sterilised if they want to change their gender. Activists says the obligation is "beyond comprehension."
07.05.13 @ 08:42
A recent convention in Ireland on same-sex marriage has highlighted the depth of social change in a country that decriminalised homosexuality only 20 years ago.
13.07.12 @ 09:15
The European Commission has said in a written note that respect for gay rights is a legal criterion for EU accession.
15.06.12 @ 18:45
The European Commission on Friday was accused of censorship for omitting from a report on men's health issues such as homosexuality, condom use, divorce and suicide. The commission denies any wrongdoing.
12.06.12 @ 08:36
Mainstream European society is slowly coming to understand lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people. But intersex people in the EU live largely in the dark.
07.05.13 @ 08:43
Gay rights issues are seen as one of the most sensitive issues for politicians to work on, right alongside abortion.
28.06.12 @ 09:22
Lobbyists in the EU capital opposing gay rights are in close contact with American neoconservative organisations, raising questions about where their money comes from.
13.06.12 @ 23:33
MEPs say the EU commission is big on "words, not action" on gay rights. The commission says it uses "actions, not words."
06.06.12 @ 12:43
Polish MEPs are - by far - the least gay-friendly, followed by Latvians, Lithuanians and Italians, with Sweden at the other end of the scale.
News in Brief
- Eurozone deficit rates fall within 3 percent EU limit@ 17:31
- Schultz most tweeted commission candidate in April@ 17:30
- UKIP's poll ratings unaffected by bad press@ 10:39
- Wilders' right-hand man resigns@ 09:15
- French leader to table €50 billion savings package@ 09:00
- Syriza drops Roma candidate from European Parliament race@ 08:59
- Greece plans lower corporate tax to spur growth@ 08:58
- Finland signs Nato assistance deal@ 08:58
- Greek records first surplus as EU moves closer to balanced budgets@ 17:38
- OpinionEU and Ukraine: too busy to protect gay rights?@ 14:14
- EU ElectionsEU elections may strengthen Putin in Europe@ 09:29
- Italian right calls for end to migrant rescue programme@ 09:29
- US to send 600 troops to Baltics, Poland amid Ukraine tensions@ 09:16
- EU ElectionsStudents should vote for pro-Erasmus MEPs@ 09:03
- OpinionWhere next after the Hungarian election?22'nd @ 16:37
- Time for EU energy union, says Polish PM22'nd @ 10:54
- TNS Opinion: David Cameron takes the lead on Twitter
- ACCA: European Parliament backs non financial reporting deals
- CESI: TTIP: Fears of the Unknown, Registration for CESI@noon lunch debate on Mon 28th April
- ThinkYoung: We want to listen your opinion on youth unemployment & skills mismatch
- EIPA: Summer School on EU law & its Implementation, Luxembourg, 30/06 until 11/07
- EIPA: The Infringement Procedure under Articles 258 & 260 TFEU - Luxembourg 19-20/06/14
- ACCA: New rules to improve shareholder engagement and corporate governance reporting
- European Youth Forum: Open letter to EU bodies, MS and CoE on the situation in Ukraine
- Oxfam: European overseas aid slightly increases but lags behind global trend
- EUA: Changing Landscapes in Learning and Teaching’: Report from the Annual Conference