With protection of minorities a cornerstone of EU values, EUobserver looks at developments on the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transexual and intersex (LGBTI) people in Europe.
09.10.14 @ 17:14
Estonia on Thursday became the first former Soviet republic to grant equal rights to same-sex couples, amid a nasty atmosphere.
02.07.14 @ 09:11
19.05.14 @ 22:09
13.05.14 @ 18:07
18.09.13 @ 08:59
08.10.14 @ 18:07
A defiant Conchita Wurst on Wednesday challenged homophobic politicians and governments opposed to same-sex marriage to overcome their fears.
29.09.14 @ 09:25
Gay people in Serbia held a march in Belgrade on Sunday in what has been described as a “milestone” in the country's history.
16.07.14 @ 20:47
A Finnish citizen who wanted the state to recognise her new gender after surgery and remain legally married to a woman at the same time has lost her case at the European Court of Human Rights.
06.10.14 @ 09:31
Catalonia’s new anti-homophobe legislation could see offenders fined up to €14,000 for attacks carried out against lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transsexuals (LGTB).
29.08.14 @ 10:48
A Greek MP has waged a homophobic twitter war on Luxembourg PM Bettel, prompting a backlash on the social media site.
18.06.14 @ 10:25
The European Parliament's lead negotiator for gay rights was the victim of an acid attack at the Vienna gay pride demonstration over the weekend
22.05.14 @ 09:53
While figures with a history of anti-homosexual discourse freely run as candidates for the European Parliament, gay people remain silent about their sexuality in Romania.
15.05.14 @ 08:50
Green, left and Liberal MEPs led the way on gay rights in the outgoing European Parliament, but right-wing populists could hold them back in future.
13.05.14 @ 18:07
The EU's agency for fundamental rights says young people are more likely to be victims of homophobic violence than their older peers.
27.05.13 @ 13:43
Earlier this month, a small gathering by LGBTI activists was met with a 20,000-strong protest march in Tbilisi. The clashes highlighted the resistance to change in some parts of Georgian society, but they also demonstrated that change is afoot.
16.05.14 @ 08:16
Malta's Prime Minister has urged EU countries to follow his example on extending protection to LGBTI minorities on the eve of international anti-homophobia day.
13.05.14 @ 18:18
Gay communities in Hungary and Finland are facing uphill battles for equal rights with conservative politicians in both countries imposing barriers.
17.05.13 @ 08:24
Fourteen member states have backed a petition urging the European Commission to do more for the rights of sexual minorities, with the last major initiative several years ago.
16.05.13 @ 16:37
If you are a lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans or intersex person in the EU, there is a strong chance you have experienced homophobia or even violence at school.
In an article earlier this week by EUobserver, four top candidates for the next president of the European Commission – Jean-Claude Juncker, Ska Keller, Martin Schulz and Guy Verhofstadt, expressed their support for an EU strategy on LGBTI human rights.
A bearded drag queen winning Europe's pop song contest is seen as a political message to homophobes in Russia and elsewhere.
News in Brief
- Police arrest top Romanian prosecutor@ 12:40
- Polish governing party wins local elections@ 09:17
- Russia backs trade deal between EU and Eurasian Union@ 09:01
- MEP vote on Palestinian state would be seen as 'anti Israel'@ 08:59
- UK party says unable to meet immigration cuts pledge@ 08:35
- Portgual ex-PM arrested in tax fraud inquiry@ 08:34
- Over 600 Mediterranean boat migrants rescued@ 08:33
- Ireland has most efficient tax system in EU: report@ 08:32
- Le Pen borrowed €9mn from Kremlin-linked bank@ 09:28
- EU still undecided on France deficit@ 09:22
- OpinionFormer Israeli law chief urges EU parliament to back Palestine recognition21'st @ 18:12
- EU parliament to vote on Palestine statehood21'st @ 18:12
- German commissioner provokes French wrath21'st @ 18:11
- Netherlands to pay EU top-up bill this year21'st @ 16:34
- AgendaEU to unveil investment fund this WEEK21'st @ 16:19
- AnalysisRomania's Obama moment21'st @ 12:00
- Danuta Hübner: Awarded with The Legion of Honour for her contribution to EU integration
- Jerzy Buzek: Reindustrialisation & climate targets married via research on clean coal technologies
- Cecilia Wikström: Music video with her reflections regarding imprisoned journalist Dawit Isaak
- Jan Philip Albrecht: Study on Data Retention after the Judgement of the Court of Justice of the EU
- Michael Theurer: Dalligate II: Time to return to the facts and follow checks and balances
- Martina Dlabajová: Still no discharge for the Council from the Budgetary Control Committee
- Eva Paunova: Dinner debate on the digital single market – successes and challenges
- Victor Negrescu: The Next Generation Innovators
- China EU Mission: Amb. Yang Yanyi: Asia-Pacific cooperation offers opportunities for Europe
- EN:DEFI: US forces will stay in Baltic states to deter Russia
- Red Cross: Humanitarian approach to migration needed in the EU to protect the rights of migrants
- Caritas Europa: Europe 2020 will not deliver if dominated by economic drivers
- PlasticsEurope: Agreement on plastic bags: concern about negative effects on Internal Market
- World Vision: Where are the rights you promised us ?
- ACCA: 5th edition of the Ethics in Finance - Robin Cosgrove Prize, 28 January 2015, Brussels
- EPSU: LuxLeaks reveal something is rotten at the heart of Europe
- EJC: After massacre in Jerusalem, EJC calls to condition aid to Palestinians on stop incitement
- SUPERHUB: Main event: Smart Mobility in changing cities (Milan 26/11/2014)