With protection of minorities a cornerstone of EU values, EUobserver looks at developments on the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transexual and intersex (LGBTI) people in Europe.
09.10.14 @ 17:14
Estonia on Thursday became the first former Soviet republic to grant equal rights to same-sex couples, amid a nasty atmosphere.
02.07.14 @ 09:11
19.05.14 @ 22:09
13.05.14 @ 18:07
18.09.13 @ 08:59
08.10.14 @ 18:07
A defiant Conchita Wurst on Wednesday challenged homophobic politicians and governments opposed to same-sex marriage to overcome their fears.
29.09.14 @ 09:25
Gay people in Serbia held a march in Belgrade on Sunday in what has been described as a “milestone” in the country's history.
16.07.14 @ 20:47
A Finnish citizen who wanted the state to recognise her new gender after surgery and remain legally married to a woman at the same time has lost her case at the European Court of Human Rights.
06.10.14 @ 09:31
Catalonia’s new anti-homophobe legislation could see offenders fined up to €14,000 for attacks carried out against lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transsexuals (LGTB).
29.08.14 @ 10:48
A Greek MP has waged a homophobic twitter war on Luxembourg PM Bettel, prompting a backlash on the social media site.
18.06.14 @ 10:25
The European Parliament's lead negotiator for gay rights was the victim of an acid attack at the Vienna gay pride demonstration over the weekend
22.05.14 @ 09:53
While figures with a history of anti-homosexual discourse freely run as candidates for the European Parliament, gay people remain silent about their sexuality in Romania.
15.05.14 @ 08:50
Green, left and Liberal MEPs led the way on gay rights in the outgoing European Parliament, but right-wing populists could hold them back in future.
13.05.14 @ 18:07
The EU's agency for fundamental rights says young people are more likely to be victims of homophobic violence than their older peers.
27.05.13 @ 13:43
Earlier this month, a small gathering by LGBTI activists was met with a 20,000-strong protest march in Tbilisi. The clashes highlighted the resistance to change in some parts of Georgian society, but they also demonstrated that change is afoot.
16.05.14 @ 08:16
Malta's Prime Minister has urged EU countries to follow his example on extending protection to LGBTI minorities on the eve of international anti-homophobia day.
13.05.14 @ 18:18
Gay communities in Hungary and Finland are facing uphill battles for equal rights with conservative politicians in both countries imposing barriers.
17.05.13 @ 08:24
Fourteen member states have backed a petition urging the European Commission to do more for the rights of sexual minorities, with the last major initiative several years ago.
16.05.13 @ 16:37
If you are a lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans or intersex person in the EU, there is a strong chance you have experienced homophobia or even violence at school.
In an article earlier this week by EUobserver, four top candidates for the next president of the European Commission – Jean-Claude Juncker, Ska Keller, Martin Schulz and Guy Verhofstadt, expressed their support for an EU strategy on LGBTI human rights.
A bearded drag queen winning Europe's pop song contest is seen as a political message to homophobes in Russia and elsewhere.
News in Brief
- Czech Jews complain about Putin visit@ 09:31
- EU must not try to make Russian economy collapse, says Austria@ 09:22
- Belarus takes drastic measures on rouble crisis@ 09:21
- Irish economy to grow 5.7 percent this year@ 09:09
- Romania's new president wants to end country's corruption@ 09:07
- Barroso: I am sure there are emergency plans for Russian economic crisis@ 09:05
- Labour in the lead ahead of UK elections@ 09:05
- Surging support for Italy's Northern League in new poll@ 09:03
- CIA manual tells agents how to fool EU border guards@ 09:41
- Greek PM offers compromise on elections@ 09:29
- Report: Juncker threatened Merkel with legal action over road toll@ 09:23
- Focus'Nations talk, but cities act' on green policies@ 08:43
- Tusk praised for 'short, concise' EU summit19'th @ 16:49
- Thousands protest in Brussels against EU-US trade ageement19'th @ 16:45
- Luxembourg caves in to EU tax listing demands19'th @ 09:01
- Merkel: EU strategy is to maintain Russia sanctions19'th @ 01:36
- Jan Philipp Albrecht: Study on Data Retention after the Judgement of the Court of Justice of the European Union
- Cecilia Wikström: EU Governments must come clean on CIA torture programme
- Tonino Picula: Georgia needs support of the European Union today!
- Michael Theurer: Noch mehr Schulden sind nicht der Ausweg aus der Schuldenfalle!
- Eva Paunova: Granted JA-YE and AmCham EU Youth Entrepreneurship Award
- Tonino Picula: The youngest European state deserves future in EU, I said to FMA after visiting Kosovo
- Eva Paunova: Meets US Chief negotiator on TTIP during diplomatic visit in Washington DC
- Jerzy Buzek: Congratulations to the town Kisielice for winning the EU 2014 ManagEnergy Award
- Victor Negrescu: S&D40 members meeting with the leader of the S&D Group, Gianni Pitella
- Jan Philipp Albrecht: Digital market/Google: MEPs fail to focus consumer rights and net neutrality
- Access Now: U.S. pushing to undermine net neutrality & privacy in major trade agreements
- Carbon Market Watch: Carbon offsets from Alberta’s tar sands jeopardize EU fuel rules
- Counter Balance: Juncker's investment offensive targets dodgy projects, new stories everyday
- EBF: Downward trend in bank robberies continues
- EBF: Adoption of fourth EU Anti-Money Laundering Directive
- COFACE: News - December 2014
- Oxfam: EU executives’ fixation with private sector compromises commitment to poor people
- Martens Centre: 5 reasons why the end of South Stream should mark the start of Energy Union
- Dialogue Platform: Calls for release of journalists detained in Turkey
- EMHRN: Egypt: Const. Committee Testify to Baselessness of Charges in Shura Council Case