07.05.13 @ 08:44
With the pride parade season approaching, EUobserver looks at just how progressive European countries really are on the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transexual and intersex (LGBTI) people.
16.05.13 @ 16:37
If you are a lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans or intersex person in the EU, there is a strong chance you have experienced homophobia or even violence at school.
16.05.13 @ 08:43
Sexual minorities have the most legal protection in the UK while Bulgaria and Italy trail among EU countries when it comes to equality rights and legislation against homophobic violence and hate speech.
07.05.13 @ 08:42
A recent convention in Ireland on same-sex marriage has highlighted the depth of social change in a country that decriminalised homosexuality only 20 years ago.
16.05.13 @ 09:18
Gay rights are still patchy across the EU, with homosexuality a criminal act in northern Cyprus, Finland reluctant to remove a sterilisation clause in a transgender law and France seeing mass protests against same-sex marriage.
14.05.13 @ 00:09
Ten EU countries require people to be sterilised if they want to change their gender. Activists says the obligation is "beyond comprehension."
07.05.13 @ 08:43
Gay rights issues are seen as one of the most sensitive issues for politicians to work on, right alongside abortion.
13.07.12 @ 09:15
The European Commission has said in a written note that respect for gay rights is a legal criterion for EU accession.
15.06.12 @ 18:45
The European Commission on Friday was accused of censorship for omitting from a report on men's health issues such as homosexuality, condom use, divorce and suicide. The commission denies any wrongdoing.
12.06.12 @ 08:36
Mainstream European society is slowly coming to understand lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people. But intersex people in the EU live largely in the dark.
05.06.12 @ 09:54
Europe is the most gay-friendly region on the globe, but problems remain and Latin America is catching up.
28.06.12 @ 09:22
Lobbyists in the EU capital opposing gay rights are in close contact with American neoconservative organisations, raising questions about where their money comes from.
13.06.12 @ 23:33
MEPs say the EU commission is big on "words, not action" on gay rights. The commission says it uses "actions, not words."
06.06.12 @ 12:43
Polish MEPs are - by far - the least gay-friendly, followed by Latvians, Lithuanians and Italians, with Sweden at the other end of the scale.
05.06.12 @ 09:53
Spain and Portugal, in a little over one generation, have gone from being among the most repressive to the most egalitarian societies for LGBT people.
News in Brief
- Member states disagree on EU agencies merger
- EU leaders to keep one commissioner per country
- MEP threatens court action over access to documents
- Kosovo and Serbia leaders to meet in Brussels
- Google needs to pay tax, says UK
- Anti-semitism and anti-Muslim rhetoric on the rise, says report
- France must reform, says German EU commissioner
- EU ombudsman candidates announced
- 'Changing gender should be as easy as changing car numberplate'
- Same-sex marriage underlines social change in Ireland
- Reding should 'stick neck out' on gay rights
- Bulgaria and Italy trail in EU on gay rights legislation
- EU ministers urge Reding to do more for gay rights
- Report: sexual minorities in EU face hate speech, violence and discrimination
- Targeted action requires clear plan … LGBTI issues are no different
- Equality and LGBTI Rights
- Austria, Luxembourg expected to play ball in tax-evasion clampdown@ 18:47
- British PM tries to break deadlock on tax havens@ 09:36
- Russia asks Interpol to track Magnitsky campaigner@ 09:30
- MEPs vote to protect small bank depositors@ 09:27
- EU should help Bangladesh workers to unionise@ 09:24
- German politicians outraged at Orban's Nazi jibe@ 09:20
- Hack the EU: IT security cuts cause concern20'th @ 09:03
- Leaked report damns Cyprus on money laundering20'th @ 08:56
- AgendaEU leaders discuss energy and tax next WEEK17'th @ 18:36
- Culture to get special treatment in US trade talks, Barroso says17'th @ 09:30
- Counter Balance: Register! ‘Facing the future or looking at the past? New energy policies at EIB/EBRD’ 27/05 EU Parliament
- EIPA: Summer school on EU Law and its Implementation, organised in Luxembourg from 01 to 12 July 2013
- Confederation of Swedish Enterprise: State of the union – Where is the EU heading?
- ACCA: ACCA encourages EU leaders to be bold in the fight against tax fraud and evasion
- EIPA: Practical Tools for Implementation of EU Policies at the National Level: Modules 1 and 2 Luxembourg, 24-27 September 2013
- ACCA: Future of IFRS: what purpose(s) do we want annual accounts to serve?
- businessfruit: Think on Your Feet. Write, Speak, Present with Impact. Join the Academy: 24-26 June, Brussels.
- Yes, this is what we need the EU forAnother Look
- Pentecost on the prairieGlobal challenges
- The untold story of Libya's Mahmud GebrilInside Arab Spring
- U-turn, please!Another Look
- Going against fears in AmericaGlobal challenges
- About spin and DIYAnother Look
- The capture of tax haven Ireland: "the bankers, hedge funds got virtually everything they wanted"Escape from Europe
- The year in picturesSuper Commuter
- Not the Jihadists but we are the problemInside Arab Spring
- Whose idea was this?Another Look