20.10.14 @ 19:42
Farage’s eurosceptic group in the EU parliament has been saved by a Pole with unusual views on women.
21.10.14 @ 09:28
Slovenian commissioner Violeta Bulc has survived a three-hour hearing by MEPs, clearing the way for Juncker's team to be voted in on Wednesday.
15.10.14 @ 09:36
29.09.14 @ 18:36
24.09.14 @ 17:36
22.09.14 @ 09:24
16.10.14 @ 17:00
The eurosceptic group around Ukip leader Nigel Farage has dissolved after a Latvian MEP resigned.
15.10.14 @ 09:21
Juncker had an "excellent" impression after meeting the new Slovenian commissioner candidate, Bulc, who is to take over the transport portfolio.
14.10.14 @ 09:28
Catalonian leader Mas is to cancel plans for a November referendum on independence after the country's top court said it shouldn't go ahead.
15.10.14 @ 10:32
On the eve of his departure, EU commission chief Barroso lashes out at eurosceptics, marvels at Brussels' new powers, and says he helped convince Berlin to save the euro.
14.10.14 @ 19:21
Catalan leader Mas has promised to hold a "public consultation" on independence, but critics say the "fictional consultation" or "big survey" will have no force.
13.10.14 @ 18:22
Juncker is to meet Slovenia's fall-back EU commission candidate, Bulc, on Tuesday, but her nomination is being contested in Ljubljana.
13.10.14 @ 09:57
Over half of the MEPs have activities outside the European Parliament, earning between €5.8 and €18.3 million on top of their regular salaries, according to a database pooling their declarations of financial interests.
09.10.14 @ 18:59
EU states have published the negotiation mandate for a free trade deal with the US, following criticism over the secretive nature of the process.
08.10.14 @ 21:43
The European Parliament has rejected Slovenia's candidate for the new EU commission, while approving all other nominees for Juncker's team. He can now ask Ljubljana for a different name or play hardball with the MEPs.
07.10.14 @ 09:25
Re-opening the EU treaties to satisfy the UK would be “perilous” and deflect attention from dealing with the bloc's struggling economy, French prime minister Manuel Valls has said on a visit to London.
10.10.14 @ 14:43
Slovenian prime minister Miro Cerar has nominated political novice Violeta Bulc for his EU commissioner, despite MEPs' warnings to send someone experienced to avoid a second rejection.
09.10.14 @ 17:13
The withdrawal of the Slovenian commission candidate clears the way for a new nominee, but the Juncker team is still at risk of being delayed.
08.10.14 @ 09:32
Jonathan Hill is set to be approved as the EU's next financial services chief, following his second grilling by MEPs.
News in Brief
- 2015 EU budget up for tough negotiations@ 09:01
- Nine migrants injured in rush on Spanish border fence@ 09:00
- Hungary to press charges against Norway-funded NGO@ 09:00
- Russian plane violates Estonia airspace@ 07:44
- Lega Nord signs partnership with Putin party22'nd @ 16:05
- EP approves Juncker commission22'nd @ 12:37
- Pharma and medical devices unit goes back to health22'nd @ 12:30
- Hahn portfolio still called 'enlargement negotiations'22'nd @ 12:30
- Quarter of a million Ukrainians came to EU last year@ 09:34
- EU leaders gear up for heated climate summit@ 09:29
- Irish senators build EU momentum on Palestine recognition@ 09:28
- OpinionEU states should follow Sweden on Palestine@ 09:24
- EU fiscal rules won't be changed, says Juncker22'nd @ 19:55
- OpinionCameron's tight-rope walk on free movement22'nd @ 18:35
- Open letters help frame debate on climate summit22'nd @ 18:30
- MEPs withhold millions from EU commission over transparency22'nd @ 17:59
After 10 years as European Commission president, his most "emotional" moment was collecting the EU's Nobel Peace Prize, Jose Manuel Barroso told MEPs in Strasbourg on Tuesday (21 October) in his last speech in the European Parliament.
- Counter Balance: Thousands urge the EU Commission to ditch biodiversity offsetting
- Oxfam: Bolder EU response needed to help stop Ebola spiralling out of control
- CESI: Ebola requires action: CESI demands full protection of healthcare workers at risk
- EGBA: Want to know how the EU online betting industry fights match-fixing?
- Access Now: Commissioners hearings: The many faces of Digital in the new Commission
- CESI: Taxation at the heart of the crisis, CESI Europe Academy discusses #TaxinEU
- Oxfam: EU needs to do more to stop the spread of Ebola
- EPSU: Ebola outbreak in West Africa - Health Workers in the frontline need our support
- EuFoA: First Nagorno-Karabakh Group announced in the European Parliament
- Oxfam: Four solutions to economic inequality