24.10.14 @ 20:09
European Central Bank chief Mario Draghi warns eurozone leaders of recession unless they agree a "concrete timetable" of reforms and spur investments.
24.10.14 @ 20:13
Herman Van Rompuy and Jose Manuel Barroso said goodbye to EU leaders on Friday after attending their final summit as presidents of the EU council and commission. But the summit was marred by a budget row.
15.10.14 @ 09:36
29.09.14 @ 18:36
24.09.14 @ 17:36
22.09.14 @ 09:24
24.10.14 @ 16:16
UK prime minister David Cameron vowed to oppose "in every way possible" the extra €2.1 billion EU budget bill, which he said was 'completely unjustified and unacceptable', as the row dominated the second day of the leaders' summit in Brussels.
24.10.14 @ 09:27
Eurozone leaders are meeting Friday on public deficits and debt, amid an escalating dispute between Italian PM Renzi and outgoing commission chief Barroso.
23.10.14 @ 10:24
The new US ambassador is to come to the EU parliament more often, amid efforts to include investor protection in the EU-US trade deal.
24.10.14 @ 09:47
The EU has told the UK it must pay a new €2.1 billion bill by 1 December, in grist for the mill of Cameron's eurosceptic adversaries at home.
23.10.14 @ 13:38
The rise of the UK Independence party has coincided with increased support for Britain remaining part of the EU, according to a survey published on Wednesday.
22.10.14 @ 13:57
MEPs have approved Juncker's new EU commission, with a slightly smaller majority than in 2010, and following a number of concessions on portfolios.
22.10.14 @ 09:30
He came close to being the EU’s new foreign policy chief, but Sikorski’s political future is in doubt over his handling of a press interview.
21.10.14 @ 17:48
Barroso made his valedictory speech in the EU parliament on Tuesday after 10 years in office, but few MEPs turned up to listen and those who did gave him a mixed review.
21.10.14 @ 09:28
Slovenian commissioner Violeta Bulc has survived a three-hour hearing by MEPs, clearing the way for Juncker's team to be voted in on Wednesday.
15.10.14 @ 10:32
On the eve of his departure, EU commission chief Barroso lashes out at eurosceptics, marvels at Brussels' new powers, and says he helped convince Berlin to save the euro.
21.10.14 @ 19:44
A handful of Liberal, Green, leftist and anti-establishment MEPs dealing with culture have called for a boycott against the Juncker commission because of his Hungarian nominee.
20.10.14 @ 19:42
Farage’s eurosceptic group in the EU parliament has been saved by a Pole with unusual views on women.
16.10.14 @ 17:00
The eurosceptic group around Ukip leader Nigel Farage has dissolved after a Latvian MEP resigned.
News in Brief
- Report: 25 banks to fail ECB stress tests24'th @ 20:07
- Renzi contradicts Cameron on 'lethal weapon' quote24'th @ 18:09
- Cameron 'angry' over extra EU bill of €2bn24'th @ 15:01
- Ice-cold relations inside the ECB: report24'th @ 09:01
- Soros: EU has lost its way24'th @ 09:00
- European bank stress tests to reveal small problems: report24'th @ 08:59
- Beer and wine fuelled EU climate deal24'th @ 08:57
- No comment from Barroso on extra €2 billion from UK24'th @ 03:32
- Van Rompuy and Barroso leave EU stage with porcelain plates24'th @ 20:13
- Draghi warns eurozone leaders on recession 'relapse'24'th @ 20:09
- Hungary's Orban stonewalls US corruption allegations24'th @ 18:04
- UN welcomes EU climate deal24'th @ 16:58
- Cameron vows to reject €2 billion EU bill24'th @ 16:16
- Cameron slapped with new €2bn EU bill24'th @ 09:47
- Cyprus seeks harsh EU statement on Turkey24'th @ 09:29
- Renzi stirs up EU row ahead of eurozone meeting24'th @ 09:27
After 10 years as European Commission president, his most "emotional" moment was collecting the EU's Nobel Peace Prize, Jose Manuel Barroso told MEPs in Strasbourg on Tuesday (21 October) in his last speech in the European Parliament.
- EuroCommerce: New Commission offers fresh approach, but over-ambitious portfolio casts shadow
- EN.DELFI: How Russia wages hybrid energy war against Lithuania
- Oxfam: Europe must review climate targets after weak climate package deal
- Red Cross: A humanitarian approach within the EU Migration Agenda: 20 November @ EESC
- Counter Balance: Thousands urge the EU Commission to ditch biodiversity offsetting
- Oxfam: Bolder EU response needed to help stop Ebola spiralling out of control
- CESI: Ebola requires action: CESI demands full protection of healthcare workers at risk
- EGBA: Want to know how the EU online betting industry fights match-fixing?
- Access Now: Commissioners hearings: The many faces of Digital in the new Commission
- CESI: Taxation at the heart of the crisis, CESI Europe Academy discusses #TaxinEU