23.05.13 @ 09:26
Germany is helping youngsters from Spain, Portugal and Greece to find jobs, as regional statistics show 17 times more unemployed young Greeks compared to Germans.
30.01.13 @ 08:24
08.01.13 @ 09:52
08.10.12 @ 08:42
12.10.12 @ 07:20
19.04.13 @ 17:40
Countries with a poor public administration are "of course" absorbing less EU cohesion funds, meaning some of the poorest regions are getting the least out of the available money, the EU commission has said.
04.03.13 @ 17:24
Thousands took to the streets Sunday to protest against a luxury real estate project that would take down a part of the longest stretch of the Berlin wall.
28.03.13 @ 09:29
Furious response from UK after EU commission asks for extra €11.2 billion to cover unpaid bills from 2012 and 2013.
16.04.13 @ 09:29
The EU would have to halt multi-billion-euro payments to the bloc's poorest regions without an extra €11 billion for the EU budget, MEPs were told Monday.
28.02.13 @ 09:24
Belgium's second largest city, Antwerp, plans to tax foreigners, including EU nationals, €250 for ID cards, prompting concern in the EU commission.
30.01.13 @ 18:22
The EU commission has blocked over €4 billion of money for Polish roads, causing dismay in the run-up to an EU budget summit next week.
08.01.13 @ 09:26
Construction flaws have again delayed the opening of Berlin's new airport, putting local politicians in a pickle ahead of elections in autumn.
18.01.13 @ 19:08
Regional elections in Lower Saxony on Sunday are being seen as a barometer for Germany's general elections in autumn, with Chancellor Merkel's junior coalition partner struggling for survival.
15.10.12 @ 17:38
The European Commission is refusing to talk about the potential EU future of separatist-minded regions despite gains by nationalists in Belgium and Scotland.
15.10.12 @ 09:09
The EU has a large pot of money especially for regions. How to get hold of this money is a source of much negotiation in member states - as a poor region in upcoming EU member Croatia has found out.
21.01.13 @ 09:27
Social Democrats and Greens narrowly won a vote in Lower Saxony, indicating a tougher-than-expected race for Merkel in upcoming general elections.
14.11.12 @ 17:56
New member states and France are set to lose most from a fresh EU budget proposal slashing €75bn from the 2014-2020 budget.
08.10.12 @ 08:41
For one week every year European regions are in the spotlight. It’s called Open Days, lasts a week, and is dedicated to all issues regional and local. To mark the event, EUobserver takes Europe’s regional temperature.
11.10.12 @ 19:56
Competition and regions have always been uncomfortable policy bedfellows, but scarce public money is making it harder to draw up guidelines on how state aid should be invested.
News in Brief
- MEPs urge start to Macedonia EU talks
- UK migrant influx fears unfounded, says EU commissioner
- French rich tax to target companies, not individuals
- Stockholm riots point to inequalities
- German brewers: shale gas exploitation may ruin beer
- Netherlands not a tax haven, says Merkel
- France willing to put Hezbollah on EU blacklist
- EU 'proud' on asylum seekers
- Paris court to question IMF chief Lagarde
- Millions of Italians unable to afford heating: Report
- Commission: €11bn extra or we could halt EU payments
- OpinionTowards a plausible EU response to breakaway regions
- Commission ducks questions on separatism in EU states
- New EU budget draft seeks cuts in farm aid, cohesion
- Antwerp tax on foreigners attracts EU attention
- EU freezes €4bn of Polish funds in fraud case
- EU energy projects: no benefit for 150 years
- All eyes on Catalan election
- Poorest regions get least out of EU funding
- Regional elections spell trouble for Merkel
- Central bank chief: EU needs a more European UK@ 09:28
- Van Rompuy endorses restart of EU-Turkey talks@ 09:27
- OpinionEU should act on political abuse of Interpol@ 09:01
- Governments to give green light for US trade talks@ 08:54
- EU anti-fraud chief defends role in Dalligate23'rd @ 19:09
- EU retreats from olive oil ban after wave of ridicule23'rd @ 17:42
- Amnesty: EU states guilty of racism, homophobia23'rd @ 09:38
- Delay austerity and increase investment, IMF warns UK23'rd @ 09:30
- FocusGermany and Greece: huge gulf in youth unemployment23'rd @ 09:26
- Victims of violence set for EU-wide protection22'nd @ 22:24
- European Friends of Armenia: EuFoA calls for common EU-Armenia efforts to stop waste of gas
- CESI: Tax administration staff joins EU institutions in serious concern over tax evasion and tax fraud
- Counter Balance: Register! ‘Facing the future or looking at the past? New energy policies at EIB/EBRD’ 27/05 EU Parliament
- EIPA: Summer school on EU Law and its Implementation, organised in Luxembourg from 01 to 12 July 2013
- Confederation of Swedish Enterprise: State of the union – Where is the EU heading?
- ACCA: ACCA encourages EU leaders to be bold in the fight against tax fraud and evasion
- EIPA: Practical Tools for Implementation of EU Policies at the National Level: Modules 1 and 2 Luxembourg, 24-27 September 2013
- The Finance curse - my new bookEscape from Europe
- Yes, this is what we need the EU forAnother Look
- Pentecost on the prairieGlobal challenges
- The untold story of Libya's Mahmud GebrilInside Arab Spring
- U-turn, please!Another Look
- Going against fears in AmericaGlobal challenges
- About spin and DIYAnother Look
- The capture of tax haven Ireland: "the bankers, hedge funds got virtually everything they wanted"Escape from Europe
- The year in picturesSuper Commuter
- Not the Jihadists but we are the problemInside Arab Spring