16.10.14 @ 08:00
New rules governing how EU aid money is spent has already resulted in better thought-out projects, says the European Commission but local politicians grumble that they continue to drown in red tape.
07.11.14 @ 14:50
10.10.14 @ 09:36
08.10.14 @ 16:58
08.10.14 @ 08:23
15.10.14 @ 09:07
Will English cities gain new powers from a new UK devolution settlement? That is one question following the Scottish referendum.
07.10.14 @ 07:36
Autonomy is not interesting to Russians in Latvia because it won’t solve their poverty: A report on mini-Russia inside the European Union.
30.04.14 @ 18:32
Ten years after enlargement, a Polish and a German town on the river Oder have gone through a 'miraculous' transformation.
14.10.14 @ 07:29
The energetic pro-independence campaigns in Scotland and Catalonia are an inspiration for other pro-independence movements in Europe.
28.05.14 @ 19:57
Eight member states say the EU should not boost its 2014 budget by €4.7 billion to cover delayed bills for infrastructure projects in eastern Europe.
28.02.14 @ 09:20
Home to the largest financial sector in the EU, Inner London is the bloc's richest region. Luxembourg, another financial powerhouse is second, followed by the EU capital, Brussels.
01.11.13 @ 19:52
Berliners are heading to the polls on Sunday in a referendum on buying back the city's power grid, in a test for local democracy.
22.10.13 @ 09:28
Flats in Germany's major cities are overpriced by up to 20 percent, but the overall economy is not yet in danger from a real estate bubble, the Bundesbank has said.
17.10.13 @ 09:19
As more key powers are transferred to Brussels, it poses an existential question for central governments. But regions are anxious to step into the breach.
08.10.13 @ 09:13
EU regional aid commissioner Johannes Hahn has said billions of euros of EU taxpayers' money has been spent with no clear strategy or benchmarks on whether it does any good.
22.10.13 @ 09:13
The EU has revamped its regional aid policy leaving national programmers nervous about the more rigorous rules. Experts says they are right to be nervous.
18.10.13 @ 10:23
As EU-backed projects go, the hydroelectric Alqueva dam in the Alentejo region of Portugal looks mighty impressive.
15.10.13 @ 09:26
Brussels became the EU's capital by accident rather than design. The sprawling EU quarter is an ugly testament to this fact. Yet change is underway.
09.10.13 @ 09:26
The recent groundbreaking trip by a container ship from China to Rotterdam was yet another reminder that the Arctic region is slowly being opened up.
News in Brief
- EU to measure climate emissions from ships26'th @ 18:30
- Romanian president says PM may lose parliament majority26'th @ 18:27
- Merkel says EU to uphold Russia sanctions26'th @ 18:24
- One in four deaths in EU caused by cancer26'th @ 18:06
- UK's Clegg and Germany's Gabriel to discuss benefit curbs for EU migrants26'th @ 17:48
- EU suspends Iran sanctions until July26'th @ 10:36
- EU parliament postpones Palestine vote26'th @ 08:40
- US to send tanks to eastern Europe26'th @ 08:39
- OpinionCommon European investment programme needed@ 18:30
- EU regulators want right-to-be forgotten to go global@ 18:24
- MEPs endorse Juncker investment plan despite criticism@ 16:28
- Reports multiply of Kremlin links to anti-EU parties@ 09:29
- Eurozone 'grinding to standstill', OECD warns@ 09:29
- FeatureInvitations sent out for next EU-Russia 'summit'25'th @ 21:01
- Juncker's plan: Making €60bn worth five times more25'th @ 21:01
- EU commission to publish more trade documents in bid for public support25'th @ 20:04
- Danuta Hübner: Jobs, Growth and Investment Package to succeed if it fully mobilizes private sector
- Eva Paunova: Digital techs must be recognised as best route to growth and development
- Jan Philipp Albrecht: EU-Canada PNR scheme must have legality assessed by European Court
- Cecilia Wikström: Interview - From a priest to an MEP
- Martina Dlabajová: Still no discharge for the Council from the Budgetary Control Committee
- Jerzy Buzek: Reindustrialisation & climate targets married via research on clean coal technologies
- Michael Theurer: Dalligate II: Time to return to the facts and follow checks and balances
- Victor Negrescu: The Next Generation Innovators
- Autism Europe: Action required to prevent abuse of people with autism in Greece
- Access Now: Save the Internet: The EU MS are about to turn their backs on Net Neutrality
- EU Spirits: Do you know how apples & pears go into a bottle ?
- China EU Mission: Amb. Yang Yanyi: Asia-Pacific cooperation offers opportunities for Europe
- Martens Centre: Invites you to the Transatlantic Think Tank Conference on 4 Dec, register now!
- EMHRN: Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women: Bleak Picture for the Euro-Med Region
- EN:DEFI: US forces will stay in Baltic states to deter Russia
- Red Cross: Humanitarian approach to migration needed in the EU to protect the rights of migrants
- Caritas Europa: Europe 2020 will not deliver if dominated by economic drivers
- PlasticsEurope: Agreement on plastic bags: concern about negative effects on Internal Market