16.10.14 @ 08:00
New rules governing how EU aid money is spent has already resulted in better thought-out projects, says the European Commission but local politicians grumble that they continue to drown in red tape.
13.10.14 @ 08:58
10.10.14 @ 09:36
08.10.14 @ 16:58
08.10.14 @ 08:23
15.10.14 @ 09:07
Will English cities gain new powers from a new UK devolution settlement? That is one question following the Scottish referendum.
07.10.14 @ 07:36
Autonomy is not interesting to Russians in Latvia because it won’t solve their poverty: A report on mini-Russia inside the European Union.
30.04.14 @ 18:32
Ten years after enlargement, a Polish and a German town on the river Oder have gone through a 'miraculous' transformation.
14.10.14 @ 07:29
The energetic pro-independence campaigns in Scotland and Catalonia are an inspiration for other pro-independence movements in Europe.
28.05.14 @ 19:57
Eight member states say the EU should not boost its 2014 budget by €4.7 billion to cover delayed bills for infrastructure projects in eastern Europe.
28.02.14 @ 09:20
Home to the largest financial sector in the EU, Inner London is the bloc's richest region. Luxembourg, another financial powerhouse is second, followed by the EU capital, Brussels.
01.11.13 @ 19:52
Berliners are heading to the polls on Sunday in a referendum on buying back the city's power grid, in a test for local democracy.
22.10.13 @ 09:28
Flats in Germany's major cities are overpriced by up to 20 percent, but the overall economy is not yet in danger from a real estate bubble, the Bundesbank has said.
17.10.13 @ 09:19
As more key powers are transferred to Brussels, it poses an existential question for central governments. But regions are anxious to step into the breach.
08.10.13 @ 09:13
EU regional aid commissioner Johannes Hahn has said billions of euros of EU taxpayers' money has been spent with no clear strategy or benchmarks on whether it does any good.
22.10.13 @ 09:13
The EU has revamped its regional aid policy leaving national programmers nervous about the more rigorous rules. Experts says they are right to be nervous.
18.10.13 @ 10:23
As EU-backed projects go, the hydroelectric Alqueva dam in the Alentejo region of Portugal looks mighty impressive.
15.10.13 @ 09:26
Brussels became the EU's capital by accident rather than design. The sprawling EU quarter is an ugly testament to this fact. Yet change is underway.
09.10.13 @ 09:26
The recent groundbreaking trip by a container ship from China to Rotterdam was yet another reminder that the Arctic region is slowly being opened up.
News in Brief
- Lega Nord signs partnership with Putin party22'nd @ 16:05
- EP approves Juncker commission22'nd @ 12:37
- Pharma and medical devices unit goes back to health22'nd @ 12:30
- Hahn portfolio still called 'enlargement negotiations'22'nd @ 12:30
- Navracsics to get sport instead of citizenship22'nd @ 12:29
- Juncker tasks Timmermans on special courts in EU-US trade deal22'nd @ 12:27
- Frontex under fundamental rights probe22'nd @ 11:23
- Poll: Majority of Poles opposed to euro22'nd @ 09:16
- EU fiscal rules won't be changed, says Juncker22'nd @ 19:55
- OpinionCameron's tight-rope walk on free movement22'nd @ 18:35
- Open letters help frame debate on climate summit22'nd @ 18:30
- MEPs withhold millions from EU commission over transparency22'nd @ 17:59
- VideoBarroso says goodbye to MEPs22'nd @ 14:24
- EU parliament approves Juncker commission22'nd @ 13:57
- Former Polish FM causes scandal on Russia interview22'nd @ 09:30
- Bank rescue fund to rely on big lenders22'nd @ 09:29
- Counter Balance: Thousands urge the EU Commission to ditch biodiversity offsetting
- Oxfam: Bolder EU response needed to help stop Ebola spiralling out of control
- CESI: Ebola requires action: CESI demands full protection of healthcare workers at risk
- EGBA: Want to know how the EU online betting industry fights match-fixing?
- Access Now: Commissioners hearings: The many faces of Digital in the new Commission
- CESI: Taxation at the heart of the crisis, CESI Europe Academy discusses #TaxinEU
- Oxfam: EU needs to do more to stop the spread of Ebola
- EPSU: Ebola outbreak in West Africa - Health Workers in the frontline need our support
- EuFoA: First Nagorno-Karabakh Group announced in the European Parliament
- Oxfam: Four solutions to economic inequality