01.11.13 @ 19:52
Berliners are heading to the polls on Sunday in a referendum on buying back the city's power grid, in a test for local democracy.
10.10.13 @ 09:26
11.10.13 @ 08:52
02.10.13 @ 09:20
09.10.13 @ 08:47
22.10.13 @ 09:13
The EU has revamped its regional aid policy leaving national programmers nervous about the more rigorous rules. Experts says they are right to be nervous.
18.10.13 @ 10:23
As EU-backed projects go, the hydroelectric Alqueva dam in the Alentejo region of Portugal looks mighty impressive.
15.10.13 @ 09:26
Brussels became the EU's capital by accident rather than design. The sprawling EU quarter is an ugly testament to this fact. Yet change is underway.
22.10.13 @ 09:28
Flats in Germany's major cities are overpriced by up to 20 percent, but the overall economy is not yet in danger from a real estate bubble, the Bundesbank has said.
17.10.13 @ 09:19
As more key powers are transferred to Brussels, it poses an existential question for central governments. But regions are anxious to step into the breach.
08.10.13 @ 09:13
EU regional aid commissioner Johannes Hahn has said billions of euros of EU taxpayers' money has been spent with no clear strategy or benchmarks on whether it does any good.
09.10.13 @ 09:26
The recent groundbreaking trip by a container ship from China to Rotterdam was yet another reminder that the Arctic region is slowly being opened up.
01.10.13 @ 17:08
Merkel's strict deficit and debt rules will come fully into force in 2019, with German cities warning that it will be at the expense of disabled people and children.
22.07.13 @ 16:39
Linking EU regional funds to economic reforms is "fair" because it would apply to all EU states, regional policy commissioner Johannes Hahn has said, amid opposition from MEPs.
25.06.13 @ 08:49
Former California governor Schwarzenegger unleashed lashings of can-do attitude on climate change at a meeting with local leaders in Brussels.
07.10.13 @ 18:00
Bulgaria has the highest percentage of citizens at risk of poverty in the EU while the UK is home to the greatest wealth disparity between regions.
16.09.13 @ 09:22
Merkel's sister party, the CSU, has won regional elections in Bavaria, but her Liberal coalition partner fared poorly in a bad omen for the Chancellor.
10.07.13 @ 21:33
The European Parliament is opposing demands by a German-led group of countries to link the payment of EU regional funds to how countries sticks to macroeconomic reforms.
20.06.13 @ 09:28
The European Commission Wednesday released new rules on granting regional aid in a bid to make it more attractive for companies to locate to poor areas in the EU.
News in Brief
- Conservative MEPs against Snowden video appearance: report
- Latvia prepares for euro despite no government
- Greek unemployment nears record high
- US and UK stop non-lethal aid to Syria rebel groups
- Eleven states to review financial tax plans
- Letta backed on 18 months of reforms
- Naked Bruni pics used to hack European diplomats
- US official gives cookies to pro-EU protesters
- EU court dismisses case against Skype-Microsoft merger
- Dutch firm ends Israeli co-operation
- Brussels: An EU capital in the making
- OpinionWould an independent Catalonia remain in the EU?
- Commission: €11bn extra or we could halt EU payments
- OpinionTowards a plausible EU response to breakaway regions
- Antwerp tax on foreigners attracts EU attention
- EU freezes €4bn of Polish funds in fraud case
- Beja airport: A runway to nowhere?
- Poorest regions get least out of EU funding
- Interview'National governments declining in importance'
- EU energy projects: no benefit for 150 years
- EU lawmakers reach agreement on bank rescue rules@ 09:28
- Ashton casts doubt on Yanukovych's promises@ 08:47
- EU pays salaries of phantom workers in Palestine11'th @ 10:20
- Ministers edge toward bank resolution deal after marathon talks11'th @ 09:29
- Ukraine police attack protesters under Ashton's nose11'th @ 09:28
- Romanian MPs decriminalise political corruption11'th @ 09:05
- OpinionCities show leadership on Roma inclusion11'th @ 09:00
- Austria and Luxembourg accused of undermining EU credibility10'th @ 20:15
- Euro-deputies reject ban on bottom-sea trawling10'th @ 20:03
- Parliament fails to pass report on women's reproductive rights10'th @ 16:47
- Think Young: Campaign Fail2Succeed with CES & MEP Zalba: 18/12 @ EP. Register now !
- EERA: The Horizon is set for 2020: time for research & innovation to deliver
- EMHRN: Human Rights Day: govs stripping away freedom of assembly ?
- EIPA: Seminar: EU Law for Non-Lawyers, Luxembourg, 24-26/02/14
- EIPA: EU Environmental Law for Non-Lawyers, Luxembourg, 30-31/01/14
- EFA: Book on Minimum Standards of Care for COPD patients in the EU
- Counter Balance: Natural Capital: a fairytale with an unhappy ending
- Oxfam: Leaked EU document proves financial transaction tax is legal
- Birdlife: Wind farms: new report shows how to reduce environmental impact
- EMHRN: Israel’s Culture of Impunity: Nothing Less than Accountability!
- How the EU is losing its entire neighbourhoodInside Arab Spring
- After Vilnius: tough year aheadNeighbourhood
- What happened to the EU2020 strategy?Progressive Change
- This is a very dead horse - stop floggingAnother Look
- Facebook isn't our friendExposing Corporate Europe
- Moscow Never SleepsBelarus Reloaded
- The trouble with Europe’s big thinking? Europe’s big states.Super Commuter
- Don´t take their word for itAnother Look
- Eurasian Union's problem with Russian nationalismNeighbourhood
- COP 19: Walking about Warsaw in circlesGlobal challenges