16.10.14 @ 08:00
New rules governing how EU aid money is spent has already resulted in better thought-out projects, says the European Commission but local politicians grumble that they continue to drown in red tape.
07.11.14 @ 14:50
10.10.14 @ 09:36
08.10.14 @ 16:58
08.10.14 @ 08:23
15.10.14 @ 09:07
Will English cities gain new powers from a new UK devolution settlement? That is one question following the Scottish referendum.
07.10.14 @ 07:36
Autonomy is not interesting to Russians in Latvia because it won’t solve their poverty: A report on mini-Russia inside the European Union.
30.04.14 @ 18:32
Ten years after enlargement, a Polish and a German town on the river Oder have gone through a 'miraculous' transformation.
14.10.14 @ 07:29
The energetic pro-independence campaigns in Scotland and Catalonia are an inspiration for other pro-independence movements in Europe.
28.05.14 @ 19:57
Eight member states say the EU should not boost its 2014 budget by €4.7 billion to cover delayed bills for infrastructure projects in eastern Europe.
28.02.14 @ 09:20
Home to the largest financial sector in the EU, Inner London is the bloc's richest region. Luxembourg, another financial powerhouse is second, followed by the EU capital, Brussels.
01.11.13 @ 19:52
Berliners are heading to the polls on Sunday in a referendum on buying back the city's power grid, in a test for local democracy.
22.10.13 @ 09:28
Flats in Germany's major cities are overpriced by up to 20 percent, but the overall economy is not yet in danger from a real estate bubble, the Bundesbank has said.
17.10.13 @ 09:19
As more key powers are transferred to Brussels, it poses an existential question for central governments. But regions are anxious to step into the breach.
08.10.13 @ 09:13
EU regional aid commissioner Johannes Hahn has said billions of euros of EU taxpayers' money has been spent with no clear strategy or benchmarks on whether it does any good.
22.10.13 @ 09:13
The EU has revamped its regional aid policy leaving national programmers nervous about the more rigorous rules. Experts says they are right to be nervous.
18.10.13 @ 10:23
As EU-backed projects go, the hydroelectric Alqueva dam in the Alentejo region of Portugal looks mighty impressive.
15.10.13 @ 09:26
Brussels became the EU's capital by accident rather than design. The sprawling EU quarter is an ugly testament to this fact. Yet change is underway.
09.10.13 @ 09:26
The recent groundbreaking trip by a container ship from China to Rotterdam was yet another reminder that the Arctic region is slowly being opened up.
News in Brief
- Mogherini unsure on Ashton's future role@ 19:42
- Turkish PM riles EU with comment on women@ 19:39
- EPP backs passanger data pact with Canada@ 18:39
- World powers and Iran extend nuclear deadline@ 16:30
- Finnish president: Joining Nato would harm Russia relations@ 15:34
- Ukraine to hold referendum on EU and Nato membership@ 15:34
- Police arrest top Romanian prosecutor@ 12:40
- Polish governing party wins local elections@ 09:17
- OpinionEU watershed on criminal law poses questions for UK@ 20:10
- Danish parliament to vote on Palestine recognition@ 20:03
- Le Pen borrowed €9mn from Kremlin-linked bank@ 09:28
- EU still undecided on France deficit@ 09:22
- OpinionFormer Israeli law chief urges EU parliament to back Palestine recognition21'st @ 18:12
- EU parliament to vote on Palestine statehood21'st @ 18:12
- German commissioner provokes French wrath21'st @ 18:11
- Netherlands to pay EU top-up bill this year21'st @ 16:34
- Cecilia Wikström: Interview - From a priest to an MEP
- Martina Dlabajová: Still no discharge for the Council from the Budgetary Control Committee
- Jerzy Buzek: Reindustrialisation & climate targets married via research on clean coal technologies
- Jan Philipp Albrecht: Study on Data Retention after the Judgement of the Court of Justice of the EU
- Michael Theurer: Dalligate II: Time to return to the facts and follow checks and balances
- Danuta Hübner: Awarded with The Legion of Honour for her contribution to EU integration
- Eva Paunova: Dinner debate on the digital single market – successes and challenges
- Victor Negrescu: The Next Generation Innovators
- China EU Mission: Amb. Yang Yanyi: Asia-Pacific cooperation offers opportunities for Europe
- EN:DEFI: US forces will stay in Baltic states to deter Russia
- Red Cross: Humanitarian approach to migration needed in the EU to protect the rights of migrants
- Caritas Europa: Europe 2020 will not deliver if dominated by economic drivers
- PlasticsEurope: Agreement on plastic bags: concern about negative effects on Internal Market
- World Vision: Where are the rights you promised us ?
- ACCA: 5th edition of the Ethics in Finance - Robin Cosgrove Prize, 28 January 2015, Brussels
- EPSU: LuxLeaks reveal something is rotten at the heart of Europe
- EJC: After massacre in Jerusalem, EJC calls to condition aid to Palestinians on stop incitement
- SUPERHUB: Main event: Smart Mobility in changing cities (Milan 26/11/2014)