17.05.13 @ 08:57
A giant Barbie doll house opened its gates in Berlin on Thursday amid protests criticising its "sexist" image.
12.04.13 @ 09:15
03.04.13 @ 09:16
20.02.13 @ 09:24
14.05.13 @ 10:08
France, Greece and Spain have seen a sharp drop in pro-EU sentiment, but Germany is on "another planet," a new survey says.
06.05.13 @ 09:28
Viktor Orban’s speech against anti-Semitism at the World Jewish Congress in Budapest on Sunday failed to impress organisers.
02.05.13 @ 17:55
European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso has called on EU leaders to tackle youth unemployment at their June summit, promising that the EU executive would do its bit to "revive hope."
06.05.13 @ 09:29
A landmark trial against the only survivor of a neo-Nazi cell which killed 10 people and went undetected for years is starting in Munich on Monday.
03.05.13 @ 16:58
Prison populations and overcrowding in member states is linked to sentence length and not to the number of people incarcerated.
26.04.13 @ 10:10
Germany has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the EU. But its labour model has sparked a debate on social inequality.
25.04.13 @ 09:18
Switzerland is imposing quotas on permits for EU citizens to live and work on its territory despite objections from Brussels.
16.04.13 @ 16:52
Europe's human rights watchdog has said Greece should consider banning the neo-Nazi Golden Dawn party for its violence, racism and hate-filled rhetoric against immigrants.
11.04.13 @ 20:30
EU austerity programmes are putting the bloc's social model under strain by isolating trade unions and employers, the EU commission says.
25.03.13 @ 09:23
The number of people seeking asylum in Europe is on the rise, as conflicts and poverty force families to leave their home countries.
17.04.13 @ 09:24
A new EU bill calls on companies to publish information ranging from anti-corruption and bribery measures to their boardroom policies and employment practices.
15.04.13 @ 16:45
The economic crisis is leading to a rise in the number of people being trafficked for sex, hard labour or organ donation, but the vast majority of member states have failed to implement an anti-trafficking law.
05.04.13 @ 09:28
Fears of massive migration and welfare demands by Romanians and Bulgarians are overblown, a report commissioned by the UK government says.
18.03.13 @ 09:25
An anti-Semitic and Roma-bashing TV broadcaster has received Hungary’s top journalism prize.
News in Brief
- IMF: Cyprus should return to growth in 2015
- Eurozone bank 'stress tests' delayed until next year
- Westerwelle in Serbia and Kosovo to speed up deal
- Merkel: Hollande's euro government idea 'interesting'
- Schaeuble blames EU commission for inaction on youth unemployment
- Germany buries Eurohawk drone project
- European jihadists in Syria spook Germany
- China wants EU to drop telecoms probe
- Russia positions warships near Syria
- Bizarre twist in Bulgaria election drama
- Orban fails to impress Jewish leaders on anti-Semitism
- AnalysisPoor pay: the flipside of Germany's low unemployment
- France most pessimistic about Europe, survey shows
- Switzerland re-imposes curbs on EU workers
- Human rights watchdog criticised for Hungary analysis
- Demand for forced labour increasing in EU
- Greece urged to 'take action' on neo-Nazi party
- Protests as Germany opens giant Barbie house
- High prison populations result of policy, not crime: study
- EU to 'revive hope' on youth jobs, Barroso pledges
Equality & LGBTI Rights
- EU ministers urge Reding to do more for gay rights
- Targeted action requires clear plan … LGBTI issues are no different
- Report: sexual minorities in EU face hate speech, violence and discrimination
- Bulgaria and Italy trail in EU on gay rights legislation
- 'Changing gender should be as easy as changing car numberplate'
- Equality and LGBTI Rights
- Reding should 'stick neck out' on gay rights
- Same-sex marriage underlines social change in Ireland
- Airline worker's rights breached by crucifix ban, court says
- Gay rights is EU entry criterion, Brussels says
Very private security
- Controversial British firm wins EU security job in Gaza
- Very private security
- EUobserver investigative reports
- InvestigationEU men with guns: a comedy of errors
- Security firm wins EU contract despite tax problem
- About Andrew Rettman
- EU bins security contract, annoys Libya
- EU to spend €50mn on private security in Afghanistan
- Question marks over EU contract for Libya security firm
- Ashton to spend €15mn on private security firms
- AgendaEU leaders discuss energy and tax next WEEK17'th @ 18:36
- Culture to get special treatment in US trade talks, Barroso says17'th @ 09:30
- Europeans expect bleak future, survey finds17'th @ 09:28
- Hollande calls for euro government to beat recession17'th @ 09:25
- AnalysisCold War politics hang over EU shale gas revolution17'th @ 09:21
- EU sets timeline for single telecoms market17'th @ 09:05
- Greens launch US-style primary for EU top jobs17'th @ 09:01
- Protests as Germany opens giant Barbie house17'th @ 08:57
- FocusEU ministers urge Reding to do more for gay rights17'th @ 08:24
- Response to Hungary is test for EU16'th @ 17:21
- Confederation of Swedish Enterprise: State of the union – Where is the EU heading?
- ACCA: ACCA encourages EU leaders to be bold in the fight against tax fraud and evasion
- EIPA: Practical Tools for Implementation of EU Policies at the National Level: Modules 1 and 2 Luxembourg, 24-27 September 2013
- ACCA: Future of IFRS: what purpose(s) do we want annual accounts to serve?
- businessfruit: Think on Your Feet. Write, Speak, Present with Impact. Join the Academy: 24-26 June, Brussels.
- AEBIOM: Join the 4th AEBIOM Bioenergy Conference organized by the European Biomass Association on 17-19 June, Brussels
- EIPA: European e-Justice and practical solutions - Beginners level: Luxembourg, 23 May 2013. Advanced level: Luxembourg, 24 May 2013
Dozens of activists paid an unwelcome visit to the EU's economic headquarters.
- The untold story of Libya's Mahmud GebrilInside Arab Spring
- U-turn, please!Another Look
- Going against fears in AmericaGlobal challenges
- About spin and DIYAnother Look
- The capture of tax haven Ireland: "the bankers, hedge funds got virtually everything they wanted"Escape from Europe
- The year in picturesSuper Commuter
- Not the Jihadists but we are the problemInside Arab Spring
- Whose idea was this?Another Look
- Across the Atlantic, another take on riskGlobal challenges
- The Caspian Arms RaceWider Black Sea