06.12.13 @ 09:23
The EU commission has published plans to stop EU nationals abusing welfare systems, but the UK and Germany say it is not enough.
21.10.13 @ 18:05
03.10.13 @ 08:00
12.04.13 @ 09:15
04.12.13 @ 08:52
German politicians are following the UK in stoking fears about "welfare tourism" by Bulgarians and Romanians.
15.11.13 @ 08:47
Europe's film industry was given a boost Thursday, when the EU commission published new rules on subsidies for movie-making.
08.11.13 @ 18:11
Some two-thirds of Jews living in France fear a verbal or physical assault in the next 12 months, a new EU survey says.
03.12.13 @ 17:18
Austerity measures imposed by international creditors are eroding people's social and economic rights, Europe's human rights watchdog says.
13.11.13 @ 07:09
EU leaders gathered in Paris Tuesday for a second summit on the EU's record youth unemployment, but the meeting only served to highlight lack of new ideas.
08.11.13 @ 09:29
Gay people can seek asylum in the EU if they risk being jailed in their home countries, the EU's top court has ruled.
06.11.13 @ 09:37
Spain’s sudden decision to cut Erasmus scholarships in the middle of the academic year sparked outrage among Spanish students and some members of government.
25.10.13 @ 19:04
Reports of child abductions by Roma in Greece and Ireland is causing anxiety about a vigilante backlash against Europe’s most discriminated minority.
14.10.13 @ 16:13
EU citizens move from one member state to another for economic reasons rather than to claim welfare benefits, a new study indicates.
08.10.13 @ 18:53
The EU parliament has backed rules to tighten marketing and labelling of tobacco products, but the original proposal was weakened.
05.11.13 @ 12:54
Potential whistleblowers should "carefully assess" the risks involved as most EU member states have either partial or no laws to protect them, a new report says.
23.10.13 @ 09:02
There have been 30 anti-Roma marches organized since the beginning of the year and at least 10 more are planned.
09.10.13 @ 18:00
The EU parliament on Wednesday endorsed a draft bill on shorter flight hours for pilots, despite criticism the new rules could increase fatigue and pose risks.
04.10.13 @ 09:28
Up to 300 migrants are feared dead after a boat caught fire near Lampedusa and the Italian coast guard failed to spot it in time.
News in Brief
- EU fears Yanukovych to take 'revenge' on protesters
- Young Social Democrats vote against Merkel's coalition
- Report: Ukraine agrees to join Russia's Customs Union
- Berlin euro meeting 'one of many,' commission says
- MEPs head to Kiev, as authorities threaten crackdown
- Merkel has 'no memory' of pressuring Spain
- Mini-Eurogroup aims to reach deal on banking authority
- Germany offers technical support to France in Africa
- Gazprom hits back at EU on South Stream
- Schaeuble to host mini-Eurogroup on banking union
- Austerity stripping away Europe's human rights, watchdog says
- EU report highlights anti-Semitism in France
- German conservatives stir up 'welfare tourism' row
- UK and Germany dislike EU 'welfare tourism' plan
- Spanish government under fire over Erasmus cuts
- EU court backs asylum rights for gay people
- Poor protection of whistleblowers in most EU states
- Low-key jobs summit takes EU 'one step further'
- EU pleases France, widens film subsidy rules
Regions & Cities
- Economic governance tool to be part of regional aid
- Berlin citizens keen to buy their electricity grid
- German city flats are overpriced, says Bundesbank
- EU cohesion policy: 'No more business as usual'
- If you build it, will they come?
- Interview'National governments declining in importance'
- Brussels: An EU capital in the making
- Beja airport: A runway to nowhere?
- Bringing high speed internet to the 'middle of nowhere'
- Arctic region to see greater focus in EU aid
- EU looks to 'hybrid drones' for legal shortcut on migration
- MEPs approve EU border surveillance system
- 'Virtual borders' scheme to track every non-EU citizen
- Security industry is shaping EU legislation
- Private security firms cash in on guarding EU borders
- Private firms put price tag on migrant suicides
- Gaddafi-tainted firm scoops EU contract
- InvestigationEUobserver investigative reports
- InvestigationAbout Nikolaj Nielsen
- Merkel denies pressuring Spain on bailout6'th @ 18:28
- EU data protection bill 'moves backwards'6'th @ 17:57
- Snowden to make video appearance at EU parliament6'th @ 16:35
- Ukraine and Bulgaria show power of EU model6'th @ 11:48
- France goes to war in Africa to 'save lives'6'th @ 09:29
- World pays tribute to Mandela6'th @ 09:29
- EU says No to Russian pipeline, as Ukraine talks resume6'th @ 09:29
- EU financial tax is legal, commission lawyers say6'th @ 09:24
- UK and Germany dislike EU 'welfare tourism' plan6'th @ 09:23
- Political open season6'th @ 09:22
- Birdlife: Wind farms: new report provides latest know-how on reducing environmental impact
- EMHRN: Israel’s Culture of Impunity: Nothing Less than Accountability!
- ECPA: Crop diversity, food safety and food security under threat in Europe
- EPF: Press conference on cross-border healthcare and patients' rights
- ACCA: Improved transparency in auditor reporting - making it a reality in the EU
- OGP: EU domestic shale gas production could add a million jobs, new study shows
- ICSS: Joins Council of Europe & Sorbonne to host EU forum on integrity in sport
- FIA: Greater cooperation to deliver new car technologies to consumers
- EFA-ECC: Lessons to address the poor state of COPD care in Europe
- EMHRN: Violence against women, bleeding wound in the Syrian conflict
Members of the European Parliament held an emergency meeting earlier in October to discuss the better integration of Europe's most vulnerable minority - the Roma.
- What happened to the EU2020 strategy?Progressive Change
- This is a very dead horse - stop floggingAnother Look
- Facebook isn't our friendExposing Corporate Europe
- Moscow Never SleepsBelarus Reloaded
- The trouble with Europe’s big thinking? Europe’s big states.Super Commuter
- Don´t take their word for itAnother Look
- Eurasian Union's problem with Russian nationalismNeighbourhood
- COP 19: Walking about Warsaw in circlesGlobal challenges
- Does UKIP now have the cash to cause an earthquake?The Fox Edition
- The EU budget farce is over....for now at leastThe Fox Edition