9th Dec 2023


Italians and Czechs least favourable to remaining in EU

Only 44 percent of Italians would vote to remain in the EU if a referendum was held tomorrow, an unpublished Eurobarometer poll, circulated to media on Wednesday, found. Italy and the Czech Republic (47 percent) were the only two countries not having a majority for remaining in the EU. A majority of 53 percent in the UK would now vote to remain in the EU, the survey also found.

Read and decide

Join EUobserver today

Become an expert on Europe

Get instant access to all articles — and 20 years of archives. 14-day free trial.

... or subscribe as a group


How Moldova is trying to control tuberculosis

Moldova, Europe's poorest country, is working hard to combat tuberculosis. The country wants to be tuberculosis-free by 2030, at the same time as joining the EU. That's quite a challenge.


Sudanese fleeing violence find no haven in Egypt or EU

Since the cycle of violence started earlier this year in Sudan, more than six million people have been displaced. With increasingly fewer safe areas within the country, thousands have been forced to flee to neighbouring countries — especially Egypt.


How should EU reform the humanitarian aid system?

The example of Ukraine illustrates that donors like the EU should be more ambitious about the localisation of aid. And this funding to local actors needs to be predictable, flexible, and longer than the typical one-year funding cycle.

Join EUobserver

Support quality EU news

Join us