Tuesday

9th Aug 2022

EU voices mixed emotions about Yemen revolution

  • Anti-Saleh protesters in Yemen (Photo: Al Jazeera English)

Initial EU reactions to the departure of President Ali Abdullah Saleh from Yemen have voiced concern about threats to security rather than welcoming a third Arab Spring victory.

Speaking on national TV on Sunday (4 June), British foreign minister William Hague said Yemen appears to be falling apart and that he is "very worried" that Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) will exploit the situation to create a new stronghold in the Middle East.

Read and decide

Join EUobserver today

Become an expert on Europe

Get instant access to all articles — and 20 years of archives. 14-day free trial.

... or subscribe as a group

"Yemen is one of our principal concerns for our own national security ... it could become a much more serious threat to our own national security," he noted.

His remarks come after AQAP late last year put bombs on US-bound planes transiting through London and Dubai. But they stand in contrast to his enthusiastic endorsement of opposition forces in Libya following his visit to the rebel capital Benghazi over the weekend.

"It is quite inspiring ... to see their real hope for the future of their country," Hague said on Libya in the same TV interview.

European Parliament head Jerzy Buzek in a statement on Monday also emphasised the risk of post-Saleh instability: "All sides must urgently restore the ceasefire and stop fighting. This is first and foremost the responsibility of governmental authorities."

The head of the Liberal group in the EU parliament, Guy Verhofstadt, gave the only unequivocal endorsement of Saleh's apparent fall.

"May this be a warning for the dictators in Bahrain and Syria that killing its population instead of democratic reforms leads towards the end of the regime," he said.

Saleh on Sunday underwent surgery in neighbouring Saudi Arabia for shrapnel wounds and burns after a rocket hit his compound in Sanaa on Friday.

Opposition protesters over the weekend celebrated his downfall. But Saleh has promised to return after two weeks and sporadic fighting continued in both Sanaa and the southern city of Taiz in the early hours of Monday.

The president's deputy, Abd-Rabbou Mansour al-Hadi, has taken over for and has called a ceasefire with the Ahmar tribal group which reportedly led the assault on Saleh's base.

For its part, Saudi Arabia is expected to renew pressure on Saleh to sign a Gulf Co-operation Council agreement for him to step down in return for legal immunity for killings.

EU foreign relations chief Catherine Ashotn has stayed silent on Saleh's departure. But she urged all EU nationals to leave the country in a statement on Friday and said the European Commission will use its crisis management centre to help them get out.

In other Middle East developments, Syrian security forces killed 38 opposition supporters over the weekend and Israeli soldiers killed between 10 and 22 unarmed Palestinian protesters on the Israel-Syria border.

Meanwhile, Formula One authorities have decided to reschedule a race in Bahrain for later this year.

The original event was postponed due to killings of pro-democracy protesters in the capital Manama. Politicians and commentators have rounded on the decision, saying teams should boycott the grand prix in protest at government repression.

"Protestors were killed, tortured and imprisoned. These incidents need to be properly investigated and brought to justice - not swept under the carpet. Until this has happened, I fully agree that the Formula One grand prix should not return to Bahrain," the Liberal group's Verhofstadt said.

Correction: the original story said Israeli soldiers killed 22 Palestinian protesters. Latest reports at 3pm Brussels time on 6 June say Syria put the death toll at 23, while Israel gave lower figures

Opinion

The Gulf exception

The EU will cluck approvingly at so-called reforms in Gulf states. But why hold elections for bodies lacking any real power?

EU hopeful of Iran nuclear deal

A possible deal to revive the 2015 Iran nuclear pact is within reach, says the European Union. Washington backs the final proposals, but Tehran remains cautious.

Opinion

Let Taiwan's democracy shine brighter

Dr Ming-Yen Tsai, head of the Taipei Representative Office in the EU and Belgium, responds to EUobserver op-ed on Taiwan by the Chinese ambassador to Belgium. "Taiwan is an 'island of resilience'. That will continue to be the case."

Opinion

Supporting Taiwan 'like carrying water in a sieve'

China's ambassador to Belgium, Cao Zhongming, says the US has been distorting, obscuring and hollowing out the 'one-China' principle and unscrupulously undermining China's core interests. This is sheer double standards and a shameful act of bad faith.

Stakeholders' Highlights

  1. EFBWW – EFBH – FETBBConstruction workers can check wages and working conditions in 36 countries
  2. Nordic Council of MinistersNordic and Canadian ministers join forces to combat harmful content online
  3. European Centre for Press and Media FreedomEuropean Anti-SLAPP Conference 2022
  4. Nordic Council of MinistersNordic ministers write to EU about new food labelling
  5. Nordic Council of MinistersEmerging journalists from the Nordics and Canada report the facts of the climate crisis
  6. Council of the EUEU: new rules on corporate sustainability reporting

Join EUobserver

Support quality EU news

Join us