Thursday

29th Sep 2016

EU blacklist fails to name fish pirates

  • The European Commission says 39 percent of assessed fish stocks in EU waters of the Northeast Atlantic are overfished (Photo: EU commission)

The European Commission has updated its list of fishing vessels banned from selling their catches in the EU, but pro-environment critics say it is not enough.

Commission president Jose Manuel Barroso on Monday (15 July) signed off the list as part of Brussels' wider efforts to stop over-fishing.

Dear EUobserver reader

Subscribe now for unrestricted access to EUobserver.

Sign up for 30 days' free trial, no obligation. Full subscription only 15 € / month or 150 € / year.

  1. Unlimited access on desktop and mobile
  2. All premium articles, analysis, commentary and investigations
  3. EUobserver archives

EUobserver is the only independent news media covering EU affairs in Brussels and all 28 member states.

♡ We value your support.

If you already have an account click here to login.

Some 66 boats, all flying non-EU flags, are on the list.

Eight of them once belonged to a notorious Spanish family of fishing pirates.

EU fisheries spokesperson Oliver Drewes says the list is copy pasted from regional fisheries management organisations.

The International Commission for the Conservation of Atlantic Tunas (ICCAT) and the South East Atlantic Fisheries Organisation (SEAFO) figure among the organisations that have flagged vessels the EU placed on its blacklist.

“This is complementary to the EU's own initiative enforcement which is currently focused, as a matter of priority, on assessing third countries' IUU [illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing] regimes as highlighted by the yellow cards handed out in November 2012,” said Drewes in an email.

The names and identities of the vessels’ owners are not included.

But Greenpeace says it tracked down the owners of the Black Moon trawler, which flies a Tanzanian flag under the new name Huang He 22.

The boat has also flown flags from Uruguay, St Vincent & Grenadines, Equatorial Guinea, Sierra Leone, Panama, and North Korea.

Its owners are still allegedly one of Europe's most notorious families of fishing pirates.

Greenpeace say the boat belongs to the Vidal family of Spain, through a company called Vidal Armadores.

One of the leaders of family, Vidal Pego, was convicted in 2006 by the United States for attempting to smuggle illegally-caught Patagonian toothfish.

He was fined $400,000 and received a four-year probation.

The UK last July fined the Vidal family £1.62 million for failing to register the transfer of fish between vessels, providing bogus fish quotas, and giving false weight readings at sea.

But the family also received almost €16 million in EU fishing subsidies between 2002 and 2009, according to Greenpeace.

Seven other boats on the commission list also once belonged to the Vidal family.

Saskia Richartz of Greenpeace told this website that “as it stands, the EU blacklist is not yet an effective naming and shaming tool.”

She said the commission is slow in responding to new cases and appears to shy away from listing the owners of vessels.

The names of vessels change often to avoid prosecution and tax systems.

Changing names often entails just painting the new one on the boat.

Others fly flags from states that have no coastlines, like the Lana, which flew the Mongolian flag.

Getting a new flag is also relatively simple. Ship owners often fill out an online form and pay an administrative fee.

However, most have an official International Maritime Organisation (IMO) number.

The number cannot be easily changed but can be hidden from view out at sea.

Vessels removed from the list include the Jinn Fenn Tsair No 1 from Taiwan, the Mar Cantabrico from Bolivia, the North Ocean/Boston/Boston-1 from China and the West Ocean/Kiev/Darvin, also from China.

Both the North Ocean/Boston/Boston-1 and the Ocean/Kiev/Darvin previously flew under Georgian and Russian flags.

The latest addition is Keshan, also known as the Baiyangdian or the Pacific Duchess.

Investigation

VW: EU's action plan is 'nothing new'

Consumer affairs commissioner Jourova said Volkswagen has "committed to an EU-wide action plan", but the promise contains little news value according to the carmaker itself.

Stakeholders' Highlights

  1. EJCMourns the Passing of Israeli Statesman Shimon Peres
  2. World VisionNew Tool Measuring Government Efforts to Protect Children Released
  3. GoogleDid You Know Europe's Largest Dinosaur Gallery Is in Brussels? Check It Out Now
  4. IPHRHuman Rights in Uzbekistan After Karimov - Joint Statement
  5. CISPECloud Infrastructure Providers Unveil Data Protection Code of Conduct
  6. EFAMessages of Hope From the Basque Country and Galicia
  7. Access NowDigital Rights Heroes and Villains. See Who Protects Your Rights, Who Wants to Take Them Away
  8. Martens CentreQuo Vadis Georgia? What to Expect From the Parliamentary Elections. Debate on 29 September
  9. EJCAppalled by Recommendation to Remove Hamas From EU Terrorism Watch List
  10. GoogleBringing Education to Refugees in Lebanon With the Clooney Foundation for Justice
  11. HuaweiAn Industry-leading ICT Solution Provider and Building a Better World
  12. Belgrade Security ForumCan Democracy Survive Global Disorder?

Latest News

  1. EU commission presents 'realistic' lobbying rules
  2. Evidence mounts of Russia's role in MH17
  3. New EU rules on financial products in limbo
  4. Turkey denies protection to returning Syrians
  5. Budget commissioner Georgieva leaves for UN campaign
  6. Ambition meets reality in EU tax leaks probe
  7. No support for EU army in ministers' talks
  8. Greek MPs approve water and electricity privatisation