Friday

6th May 2016

Mayor of Venice arrested over EU-funded project

  • (Photo: Abraham Puthoor)

The mayor of Venice, Giorgio Orsoni, and 35 other people were arrested Wednesday (4 June) on corruption charges linked to a project co-funded by the EU.

Orsoni was placed under house arrest as 300 police officers carried out raids to seize €40 million in assets after a three-year investigation into corruption and political bribes.

Dear EUobserver reader

Subscribe now for unrestricted access to EUobserver.

Sign up for 30 days' free trial, no obligation. Full subscription only 15 € / month or 150 € / year.

  1. Unlimited access on desktop and mobile
  2. All premium articles, analysis, commentary and investigations
  3. EUobserver archives

EUobserver is the only independent news media covering EU affairs in Brussels and all 28 member states.

♡ We value your support.

If you already have an account click here to login.

The prosecutors' charge is that construction contractors created a €25 million fund for kickbacks to politicians overseeing the Moses flood barrier – a €5.5 billion project aimed at keeping Venice safe from floods.

The project is partly funded by the EU – €1.5 billion had been earmarked for this project by the European Investment Bank.

Investigators said they followed a complex cash trail between companies and politicians that passed through offshore accounts.

"As the investigation continued, it emerged that most of these funds were used to buy political power ... and to bribe senior public officials," the prosecutors said in a statement.

Orsoni's lawyer said the charges were "hardly credible" but a former mayor of Venice, Massimo Cacciari, confirmed there was little accountability on the project. "I said it a million times but no one listened," he said.

The main constructor in the Moses project, Mantovani, has also been charged with fraud and was suspected of infiltration by Mafia in connection to another EU-funded project in the proximity of Venice – a motorway bypass around the city of Mestre.

Mantovani settled with the Italian fiscal authorities for a €6 million fine in December, allowing the EIB and the EU commission to continue funding the Mestre project.

But the new arrests in Venice may put the funding on hold.

"We are still gathering information necessary to form a view," a spokesperson for the EIB said in an email. The bank notes that it was the Italian ministry of infrastructure who "certified all the expenses" reimbursed by the EIB. It added that the total amount of loans signed to date is €1.255 million.

Transparency campaigners are not satisfied, however.

"The EIB is effectively handing out cheques backed by public money to a corrupt system," said Elena Gerebizza from Counter Balance, an NGO monitoring the activities of the EIB.

Stakeholders' Highlights

  1. Centre Maurits CoppetiersBrexit Could Increase Support for Independence in Pro-EU Scotland
  2. European Music CouncilRegister Now for the 6th European Forum on Music in Wroclaw, European Capital of Culture 2016
  3. Belgrade Security ForumJoin Our Team for the 6th Belgrade Security Forum. Apply Now! Deadline May 20
  4. European Roundtable of IndustrialistsCompanies Make Progress on Number of Women in Leadership Roles
  5. Counter BalanceParliament Gets Tough on Control EU Bank's Funds
  6. ICRCSyria: Aleppo on the Brink of Humanitarian Disaster
  7. CESIWorld Day For Health and Safety at Work: Public Sector Workers in The Focus
  8. EFABasque Peace Process-Arnaldo Otegi Visits the European Parliament
  9. EscardioChina Pays Price of Western Lifestyle With Soaring Childhood Obesity
  10. Centre Maurits CoppetiersThe Existence of a State is a Question of Fact, Not a Question of Law
  11. ICRCSyria: Aid for Over 120,000 People Arrives in Besieged Town Near Homs