Wednesday

28th Sep 2016

Romania referendum decision put off to September

The political crisis in Romania is to drag on until 12 September at least after judges on Thursday (2 August) postponed their decision on the validity of last weekend's referendum.

President Traian Basescu on Sunday announced he had survived a "coup" when turnout in the poll came in at 46.2 percent - just under the 50 percent threshold.

Dear EUobserver reader

Subscribe now for unrestricted access to EUobserver.

Sign up for 30 days' free trial, no obligation. Full subscription only 15 € / month or 150 € / year.

  1. Unlimited access on desktop and mobile
  2. All premium articles, analysis, commentary and investigations
  3. EUobserver archives

EUobserver is the only independent news media covering EU affairs in Brussels and all 28 member states.

♡ We value your support.

If you already have an account click here to login.

  • Constitutional judges said they needed more time to study all relevant data (Photo: wikiepdia)

Eighty seven percent of those who did vote said they want him to go, however.

The referendum was orchestrated by Basescu's political nemesis, Prime Minister Victor Ponta, who alleges the President abused his official powers by installing personal allies in public institutions, such as the Constitutional Court itself.

Ponta-linked polticians filed multiple complaints to judges saying the Romanian population has shrunk since the last official census.

If their claims are backed up by the interior ministry and the National Statistics Institute, the turnout could rise to over 50 percent, pushing out Basescu.

The judges on Thursday said they need more time to examine official papers, according to Romanian news agencies Mediafax and Agerpress.

In the interim, Basescu remains suspended, while a Ponta loyalist, Crin Antonescu, carries out presidential duties.

The affair is being closely watched by Brussels, amid fears that Romania is sliding backwards in terms of democracy and rule of law.

Ponta, following Sunday's results, said he would respect the court's decision, which requires a two-thirds majority of judges on the panel.

Balkan leaders pledge to keep out migrants

Balkan leaders said in New York there would be no repetition of last year's mass influx of refugees, as the EU prepares to launch a new border force to keep people out.

Stakeholders' Highlights

  1. GoogleDid You Know Europe's Largest Dinosaur Gallery Is in Brussels? Check It Out Now
  2. IPHRHuman Rights in Uzbekistan After Karimov - Joint Statement
  3. CISPECloud Infrastructure Providers Unveil Data Protection Code of Conduct
  4. EFAMessages of Hope From the Basque Country and Galicia
  5. Access NowDigital Rights Heroes and Villains. See Who Protects Your Rights, Who Wants to Take Them Away
  6. Martens CentreQuo Vadis Georgia? What to Expect From the Parliamentary Elections. Debate on 29 September
  7. EJCAppalled by Recommendation to Remove Hamas From EU Terrorism Watch List
  8. GoogleBringing Education to Refugees in Lebanon With the Clooney Foundation for Justice
  9. HuaweiAn Industry-leading ICT Solution Provider and Building a Better World
  10. World VisionUN Refugees Meeting a Wasted Opportunity to Improve the Lives of Millions of Children
  11. Belgrade Security ForumCan Democracy Survive Global Disorder?
  12. GoogleTrimming the Waste-Line: Weaving Circular Economy Principles Into Our Operations