Wednesday

1st Feb 2023

Death toll rising from Barcelona attack

  • Spanish special police in training exercise. Manhunt for Las Ramblas driver continued on Friday (Photo: PROContando Estrelas)

The death toll from the terrorist attacks in Spain is likely to rise as 15 people remained in critical condition on Friday (18 August).

Thirteen people died immediately and more than 100 were injured earlier on Thursday afternoon when a man drove a van onto the pavement at high speed in Las Ramblas, a popular tourist destination in the city of Barcelona.

Read and decide

Join EUobserver today

Become an expert on Europe

Get instant access to all articles — and 20 years of archives. 14-day free trial.

... or subscribe as a group

  • Eleven million people a year visit Barcelona (Photo: Derek Winterburn)

The dead include a three-year old girl. A six-year old girl is one of those still fighting for her life.

The driver, who ran away from the scene on foot, remained at large on Friday and people were advised to stay indoors amid a police hunt.

One other person is also in a critical condition and five others were injured in a follow-up attack in which a car rammed pedestrians in Cambrils, a small town near Barcelona, shortly before midnight on Thursday.

Police shot dead five men involved in that attack, who were said to have been carrying suicide bombs.

Two other men were also killed in separate incidents that may have been linked to the Barcelona and Cambrils attacks.

One of them was found dead from stab wounds in the passenger seat of a car in Barcelona on Thursday.

The second one was killed in an explosion in a house in Alcanar, 200km from Barcelona, on Wednesday, in what was a suspected bomb-making accident.

Spanish leader Mariano Rajoy told an emergency news conference on Thursday that the incidents were a “jihadist attack”.

The Amaq news agency, a mouthpiece for Islamic State (IS), a jihadist group based in Syria, said: “The perpetrators of the Barcelona attack are soldiers of the Islamic State and carried out the operation in response to calls for targeting coalition states”.

The “coalition” is a US-led group of Western and Arabic states that are carrying out anti-IS air strikes in Iraq and Syria.

Worldwide shock

The Catalan government said the dead and injured came from 24 different countries.

They include 26 French people, as well as Belgians, Dutch tourists, Germans, Greeks, Hungarians, Irish people, Italians, Romanians, and Spanish nationals.

They also include people from Algeria, Argentina, Australia, Canada, China, Cuba, Macedonia, Peru, and Venezuela.

Spain’s Rajoy said: “We are united in our mourning and in our determination to overcome those who want to rob us of our values and our way of life”.

Carles Puigdment, the leader of the Catalan region that is home to Barcelona, said: “Catalonia will rise to the occasion to defend peace and freedom. Democracy will break barbarism”.

Leaders, celebrities, and CEOs from around the world also issued statements of condolence on Thursday.

"All my thoughts and France's solidarity to the victims,” French president Emmanuel Macron said.

British prime minister Theresa May said: “The UK stands with Spain against terror”.

Jean-Claude Juncker, the European Commission chief, added: “I hold a special thought for the heroic people who responded by running towards danger to help others and to the security forces who are working to keep the population safe”.

Pig tweet

Donald Trump, the US leader, caused controversy by tweeting: “Study what General Pershing of the United States did to terrorists”.

Pershing was a US general who purportedly dipped bullets in pig’s blood before executing Islamist fighters. Pigs are taboo in Islam.

The Islamic Commission of Spain voiced “emphatic condemnation and repulsion” to the Barcelona attack and said it hoped “that those responsible for these attacks can be detained and brought to justice as soon as possible”.

Vehicles were also used to ram people in separate attacks in London, Stockholm, Berlin, and in Nice, France, in the past 13 months.

The Nice attack in July 2016, the deadliest one, killed 86 people and injured 458.

EU to crack down on art-funded terrorism

The EU executive has presented measures to crack down on the traffic of cultural goods as part of an effort to cut funding to terrorist groups.

Opinion

Building a Europe more resilient to terrorism

One year to the day since the terror attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils, the commissioner for home affairs spells out what action the EU is taking now to protect against further attacks.

Opinion

Why the new ECHR Ukraine-Russia ruling matters

The ECHR ruled that Russia was in "effective control" of separatist regions of Eastern Ukraine from 11 May 2014. In doing so, the court has formally acknowledged the inter-state character of the conflict and Russia's culpability for human rights abuses.

Opinion

Greece's spy scandal must shake us out of complacency

The director of Amnesty International Greece on the political spying scandal that now threatens to bring down prime minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis. Activists and NGO staff work with the constant fear that they are being spied on.

Latest News

  1. Hungary blames conspiracy for EU corruption rating
  2. Democracy — is it in crisis or renaissance?
  3. EU lobby register still riddled with errors
  4. Polish backpedal on windfarms put EU funds at risk
  5. More money, more problems in EU answer to US green subsidies
  6. Study: EU electricity transition sped into high gear in 2022
  7. Russia and China weaponised pandemic to sow distrust, MEPs hear
  8. Frontex to spend €100m on returning migrants this year

Stakeholders' Highlights

  1. Party of the European LeftJOB ALERT - Seeking a Communications Manager (FT) for our Brussels office!
  2. European Parliamentary Forum for Sexual & Reproductive Rights (EPF)Launch of the EPF Contraception Policy Atlas Europe 2023. 8th February. Register now.
  3. Europan Patent OfficeHydrogen patents for a clean energy future: A global trend analysis of innovation along hydrogen value chains
  4. Forum EuropeConnecting the World from the Skies calls for global cooperation in NTN rollout
  5. EFBWWCouncil issues disappointing position ignoring the threats posed by asbestos
  6. Nordic Council of MinistersLarge Nordic youth delegation at COP15 biodiversity summit in Montreal

Stakeholders' Highlights

  1. Nordic Council of MinistersCOP27: Food systems transformation for climate action
  2. Nordic Council of MinistersThe Nordic Region and the African Union urge the COP27 to talk about gender equality
  3. Friedrich Naumann Foundation European DialogueGender x Geopolitics: Shaping an Inclusive Foreign Security Policy for Europe
  4. Obama FoundationThe Obama Foundation Opens Applications for its Leaders Program in Europe
  5. EFBWW – EFBH – FETBBA lot more needs to be done to better protect construction workers from asbestos
  6. European Committee of the RegionsRe-Watch EURegions Week 2022

Join EUobserver

Support quality EU news

Join us