Thursday

26th May 2022

Italy to 'hurt' Europe if no decision on migrants

  • Renzi's threat came ahead of EU talks on Tuesday (Photo: ec.europa.eu)

Italian authorities are ready to implement a secret plan B on migrant arrivals should member states refuse to take in more asylum seekers.

Without disclosing details, prime minister Matteo Renzi on Sunday (14 June) said the plan “would hurt Europe” and requested the European Union set up facilities in Libya to process migrant applications.

Read and decide

Join EUobserver today

Become an expert on Europe

Get instant access to all articles — and 20 years of archives. 14-day free trial.

... or subscribe as a group

"If Europe chooses solidarity, good. If it doesn't, we have plan B ready. But it would first and foremost hurt Europe," he said in an interview with Corriere della Sera.

Some 57,000 people have crossed the Mediterranean from Libya to reach Italy this year, where they ask for asylum.

Italy is then supposed to fingerprint and identify each one as, under EU rules known as the Dublin regulation, the EU state where a migrant first enters the bloc is supposed to process the asylum requests.

Renzi said he wants the Dublin system changed.

The issue has become a point of contention with Italy’s immediate neighbours in the north, who have stepped up security along the borders.

Austria, France, and Switzerland (not an EU member state) are sending unprocessed migrants back to Italy.

A standoff between some 200 migrants and authorities recently emerged on the French-Italian border at Ventimiglia.

French police escorted the migrants, including women and children, back to the Italian side of the border where they have refused to move for the past three days, reports AP.

Earlier this month, the regional presidents of Lombardy, Liguria, and Veneto also announced they would no longer house arriving migrants distributed by the government.

Overstretched Italian facilities means many are forced to sleep in the streets.

Renzi’s threats were made just ahead of Tuesday's meeting of interior ministers to discuss a European Commission plan to redistribute 24,000 Eritrean and Syrian asylum seekers arriving in Italy over a two-year period.

The proposal, first announced in April, is intended as an emergency response to the crisis.

But it has been criticised by several member states, including France and Spain, who oppose binding distribution criteria.

The plan, despite hopes from the commission for a quick decision, is unlikely to be voted on by member states until September.

"The biggest difficulty is on criteria, on how to distribute people between member states," an EU diplomat told reporters in Brussels on Friday.

Renzi, for his part, described the small size of the 24,000 figure as “a provocation”.

He said he would discuss setting up centres in Libya and the repatriation of economic migrants with the European Commission and others, including German chancellor Angela Merkel.

Interior minister Angelino Alfano told Sky TG24 that he would ask his counterparts in Luxembourg on Tuesday for “a serious policy on repatriation”.

"I will say with great clarity: Kids, either we do equal distribution of migrants in Europe, or we organise refugee camps in Libya, or we organise a serious policy of repatriation”, he said.

“I cannot reveal our Plan B but if Europe is not supportive, it will find itself dealing with a different Italy. We will not accept a selfish Europe".

Report: EU asylum plan likely delayed

Emergency plans for national governments next week to possibly distribute arriving Eritrean and Syrian asylum seekers will now likely be delayed for months.

Opinion

Syria refugees: Nowhere to go

EU pledge to take just 45,000 Syrian refugees, out of 4 million, sends bad signal to frontline states Lebanon and Jordan.

EU ministers discuss migrant scheme

Ministers in Luxembourg are meeting to discuss a plan to distribute 40,000 migrants throughout the EU amid an escalating row with Italy.

Opinion

Looking for home in Europe

By focusing debate on quotas, the EU commission risks overlooking the individual aspirations and dignity of EU-bound migrants.

Orbán's new state of emergency under fire

Hungary's premier Viktor Orbán declared a state of emergency due to the war in neighbouring Ukraine hours after pushing a constitutional amendment through parliament, where two-thirds of MPs are controlled by his Fidesz party, allowing his government special powers.

News in Brief

  1. Dutch journalists sue EU over banned Russia TV channels
  2. EU holding €23bn of Russian bank reserves
  3. Russia speeds up passport process in occupied Ukraine
  4. Palestinian civil society denounce Metsola's Israel visit
  5. Johnson refuses to resign after Downing Street parties report
  6. EU border police has over 2,000 agents deployed
  7. Dutch tax authorities to admit to institutional racism
  8. Rutte calls for EU pension and labour reforms

Stakeholders' Highlights

  1. Nordic Council of MinistersNordic delegation visits Nordic Bridges in Canada
  2. Nordic Council of MinistersClear to proceed - green shipping corridors in the Nordic Region
  3. Nordic Council of MinistersNordic ministers agree on international climate commitments
  4. UNESDA - SOFT DRINKS EUROPEEfficient waste collection schemes, closed-loop recycling and access to recycled content are crucial to transition to a circular economy in Europe
  5. UiPathNo digital future for the EU without Intelligent Automation? Online briefing Link

Latest News

  1. EU summit will be 'unwavering' on arms for Ukraine
  2. Orbán's new state of emergency under fire
  3. EU parliament prevaricates on barring Russian lobbyists
  4. Ukraine lawyer enlists EU watchdog against Russian oil
  5. Right of Reply: Hungarian government
  6. When Reagan met Gorbachev — a history lesson for Putin
  7. Orbán oil veto to deface EU summit on Ukraine
  8. France aims for EU minimum-tax deal in June

Join EUobserver

Support quality EU news

Join us