As the EU continues to struggle with the effects of the economic crisis, the importance of investing in innovation and research is increasingly been emphasized. But how much money is enough and where should it be spent? EUobserver investigates.
EU and US sanctions are draining money from Russian companies and from its state aid fund, US research shows.
Green MEPs have launched a secure platform to protect those disclosing problems in EU decision-making. Responsibility for publishing materials will fall upon MEPs.
To encourage innovation in Europe, policy-makers should just keep out of the way, says Wikipedia-founder Jimmy Wales.
A new pan-European research project is aiming to connect the archives of Europe’s many libraries, universities and other public institutions in the hope of gaining a better understanding of how society is evolving.
Ties between science and business in Europe have always been weak. But that is changing - to the chagrin of some. The case of a Belgian scientist who participated in an anti-gmo protest is likely to fuel the debate.
Europe is facing an “innovation emergency”, according to the European Commission. But researchers and industry leaders - and the facts - paint a less gloomy picture.
Opponents of Acta, the controversial anti-counterfeiting treaty up for vote in the European Parliament in July, say, among other things, that it would stifle innovation. Advocates say the exact opposite.
Industry leaders, academics and MEPs have all warmly welcomed a recent proposal for a new, seven-year EU fund for research and innovation - if only because it is nothing like its predecessor.
The efforts of the EU to turn the old continent into an “innovation union” are largely unknown to business leaders, according to a survey by global accounting firm Ernst & Young.
- Did You Know Europe's Largest Dinosaur Gallery Is in Brussels? Check It Out Now
- Human Rights in Uzbekistan After Karimov - Joint Statement
- Cloud Infrastructure Providers Unveil Data Protection Code of Conduct
- Messages of Hope From the Basque Country and Galicia
- Digital Rights Heroes and Villains. See Who Protects Your Rights, Who Wants to Take Them Away
- Quo Vadis Georgia? What to Expect From the Parliamentary Elections. Debate on 29 September
- Appalled by Recommendation to Remove Hamas From EU Terrorism Watch List
- Bringing Education to Refugees in Lebanon With the Clooney Foundation for Justice
- An Industry-leading ICT Solution Provider and Building a Better World
- UN Refugees Meeting a Wasted Opportunity to Improve the Lives of Millions of Children
- Can Democracy Survive Global Disorder?
- Trimming the Waste-Line: Weaving Circular Economy Principles Into Our Operations
- Green MEPs launch EUleaks
- EU funds for Bulgaria target border security
- EU sanctions hurting Russian firms, US says
- Strengthening child protection in the EU and globally
- The EU’s new offer to Africa
- Why Putin's union doesn't want to work with the EU
- Charges await Danes and Germans for helping refugees
- EU migrant quota idea is finished, Fico says