Wednesday

29th Mar 2017

Italian right calls for end to migrant rescue programme

  • Thousands of migrants are expected to arrive in Europe from North Africa in 2014 (Photo: Frontex)

Italian right-wing politicians have called for the country's programme to rescue North African refugees from the Mediterranean sea to be scrapped after figures suggested that 1,100 immigrants had been rescued in the past two days.

The figures are the highest since Italy launched a naval operation known as "Mare Nostrum" (Our Sea) last October to rescue would-be migrants at sea in the wake of two shipwrecks off the Sicilian island of Lampedusa which killed more than 600 people.

Dear EUobserver reader

Subscribe now for unrestricted access to EUobserver.

Sign up for 30 days' free trial, no obligation. Full subscription only 15 € / month or 150 € / year.

  1. Unlimited access on desktop and mobile
  2. All premium articles, analysis, commentary and investigations
  3. EUobserver archives

EUobserver is the only independent news media covering EU affairs in Brussels and all 28 member states.

♡ We value your support.

If you already have an account click here to login.

Since its creation, Mare Nostrum has rescued more than 20,000 people from the Mediterranean at an estimated cost of €9 million a month, according to Italian media reports.

Following the Arab Spring in 2011, which sparked a series of revolutions in the Middle East and North Africa, hundreds of thousands of refugees and economic migrants have attempted to cross the Mediterranean sea into Europe.

The issue is likely to become a focal point in Italy's European election campaign over the coming weeks after Matteo Salvini, head of the anti-immigration Northern League party, called for the operation to be scrapped, saying "Italian citizens end up financing the people smugglers and an invasion of our coasts."

Meanwhile, Maurizio Gasparri, a former minister in Silvio Berlusconi's Forza Italia party, described the programme as an "expensive and maniacal operation" which "must be immediately stopped," in a statement on Tuesday (22 April).

The Italian government continues to call for more EU help in patrolling the Mediterranean, together with greater burden-sharing of refugees between EU countries. Southern states Portugal, Spain and Malta have also called for greater financial support from the EU.

Migratory pressure across the Mediterranean "is far from diminishing, it is increasing", said ministers from Cyprus, France, Greece, Italy, Malta, Portugal and Spain, following a meeting of EU foreign ministers in Spain last week.

For its part, the EU's border patrol agency Frontex has provided €7.1 million for its Italian operations so far this year out of a total budget for 2014 of €89 million.

Angelino Alfano, Italy's interior minister, has said that more than 60,000 migrants will land in Italy from North Africa this year, a higher number than ever before.

“This is not just an Italian issue, we will fight in Europe to defend this border properly,” he said last week, calling for more EU assistance.

However, Senator Luigi Manconi from the governing centre-left Democratic Party, head of the human rights committee in parliament, has played down the scale of the problem and criticised the Italian government's response.

"We are not facing an invasion, absolutely not. We have to criticise ourselves for not putting in the necessary measures in time," he said.

EU expands patrol mission around Lampedusa

Frontex, the EU's border agency, has extended until the end of August its patrolling mission around the Italian island of Lampedusa and widened its area of operations, as the influx of Tunisian migrants continues to outpace the flights and naval transport to the Italian mainland.

Opinion

Italian MEP candidates scaremongering on immigration

While playing the 'influx of immigrants' card is nothing new to Italian electoral campaigns, this is the first time that candidates are demanding EU institutions, rather than simply national government, to declare war on illegal immigration.

News in Brief

  1. UK delivered its Article 50 letter to the EU
  2. Support for Germany's anti-EU party fading
  3. Turkish intelligence not welcome in Germany
  4. US senate approves Montenegro’s Nato bid
  5. Scottish MPs give go ahead to seek referendum
  6. Uber pulls out of Denmark over new taxi-regulation
  7. EU court validates sanctions on Russia's Rosneft
  8. Luxembourg to team up with Ireland in Apple tax appeal

Stakeholders' Highlights

  1. The Idealist QuarterlyCan Progressive Stories Survive Our Post-Truth Era? After-Work Discussion on 6 April
  2. ACCAG20 Citizens Want 'Big Picture' Tax Policymaking, According to Global Survey
  3. Belgrade Security ForumCall for Papers: European Union as a Global Crisis Manager - Deadline 30 April
  4. European Gaming & Betting Association60 Years Rome Treaty – 60 Years Building an Internal Market
  5. Malta EU 2017New EU Rules to Prevent Terrorism and Give More Rights to Victims Approved
  6. European Jewish Congress"Extremists Still Have Ability and Motivation to Murder in Europe" Says EJC President
  7. European Gaming & Betting AssociationAudiovisual Media Services Directive to Exclude Minors from Gambling Ads
  8. ILGA-EuropeTime for a Reality Check on International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination
  9. UNICEFHuman Cost to Refugee and Migrant Children Mounts Up One Year After EU-Turkey Deal
  10. Malta EU 2017Council Adopts New Rules to Improve Safety of Medical Devices
  11. Nordic Council of MinistersNordic Energy Research: How to Reach 100 Percent Renewable Energy
  12. Party of European SocialistsWe Must Renew Europe for All Europeans