The EU parliament is set to say that all plans to explore shale gas drilling will have to undergo environmental impact audits.
Europe should focus on implementation of environmental laws instead of making new ones, Finnish minister Kimmo Tiilikainen told EUobserver.
Government spokesman said "foreign agent" NGOs were trying to steer national politics, defended push-back on asylum seekers.
There is no silver bullet for decarbonising transport. Reaching the EU's most ambitious targets will take time and a lot of money.
For good or ill, the shale gas revolution in the United States has turned the global energy market on its head.
The debate in Brussels over how to develop viable alternatives to petrol and diesel boils down to a version of an age-old question: what comes first, the chicken or the egg?
Most governments agree that we should use less oil. Less clear is how to do it.
The logic behind a European Commission's proposal on energy taxation is based on the concept of "fuel neutrality" but it could hurt alternative fuels the most.
The EU parliament has capped the amount of crop-based biofuels that can be used to reach EU energy targets amid environmental fears.
- A Deadly Journey for Children: The Migration Route From North Africa to Europe
- Freedom of Association and Expression Under Threat in Kazakhstan
- Meet with Leading International Business Schools in Brussels on March 6th
- Join Rare Disease Day and Help Advocate for More Research on Rare Diseases
- Students Who Are Considered Fit Get Better Grades in School
- Meet with Leading International Business Schools in Paris on March 4th
- Economic Governance: Agreement Reached on Structural Reform Support Programme for Member States
- Women Have to Work Ten Years Longer to Match Lifetime Earnings of Men
- Trans-Adriatic Pipeline Is a Major Risk for Banks, Warns New Analysis
- EU and US Migration Policies Compared: Join the Debate on February 28th
- Technology and Data Flows - Shaping the Society of Tomorrow
- Nearly 1.4 Million Children at Risk of Death as Famine Looms Across Africa and Yemen
- Migrant children endure horrors in Libya and Italy
- Finland: Time for EU to lead on environment
- Hungary rejects criticism of NGO crackdown
- Maltese PM hails pope, calls for multispeed EU
- Serb minister heaps praise on EU
- Dutch election: Christian Democrat would bin Ukraine treaty
- 'Serious' fighting in Europe's oldest war
- EU tackles CO2 threat This WEEK
- End of Roaming Fees: Council Reaches Agreement on Wholesale Caps
- Nordic Innovation House Opens in New York to Help Startups Access US Market
- Minorities and Migrations
- The Child in the City: Health, Parks and Play
- Number of Ukrainian Children Needing Aid Nearly Doubles to 1 Million Over the Past Year
- The Situation of Refugee Women in Europe
- Toward a Shared Culture of Health: Charting the Patient-Clinician Relationship
- Austria Should Preserve & Promote Bilingual and Multinational Carinthia
- Show Your Love for Democracy! Take Part in Our Contest: "If It's Broken, Let's Fix It"
- Cloud Computing Leaders Establish Data Protection Standards to Protect Customer Data
- Landmark Deal Reached With European Parliament on Portability of Online Content
- BSF 2017: Building a Common Future in the Age of Uncertainty