Wednesday

4th Aug 2021

On board with SOS Méditerranée

Eritrean boy first to step onto Italian soil

  • Italian health inspectors were the first to come aboard the Ocean Viking (Photo: Nikolaj Nielsen)

The 16-year old boy from Eritrea was the first to step off the Ocean Viking vessel onto Italian soil - at precisely 11:31 on Friday (9 July), in the port of Augusta, Sicily.

He had earlier in the week told EUobserver that he spent four years in Libya, including over two months in a detention centre in Zuwarah, a known smuggling hub.

Read and decide

Join EUobserver today

Become an expert on Europe

Get instant access to all articles — and 20 years of archives. 14-day free trial.

... or subscribe as a group

  • Eritrean boy is the first person to leave the rescue boat (Photo: Nikolaj Nielsen)

At enormous risk, his father had collected $2,000 to set him free and onto a boat towards Europe, he said.

As he stepped onto the gangway from the boat to the dock, Italian authorities motioned him to wait.

So he remained on the metal platform straddling the boat and the port for about 15 minutes - less than a metre away from the end of an incredible journey no person should ever have to experience.

The news that the Ocean Viking had been given a port of safety late Thursday came at a critical moment.

Tensions had been mounting throughout the week. And with food rations dwindling, the SOS Mediterranée crew was doing everything possible to keep everyone calm.

But with a safe port declared, a wild joy exploded Thursday evening among the 572 rescued people on board.

By early Friday morning, the coast of Sicily had become clear, and along with it, the historic buildings of Syracuse.

The active volcano of Mount Etna also appeared just beyond the port of Augusta, where the Ocean Viking was told to disembark.

People had already started to sit in lines, knees-to-back, holding their orange tote bags as they watched the tankers and small boats pass them by.

As if in a sign of what lay ahead, the Ocean Viking was then piloted past the Geo Barents rescue ship operated by MSF and impounded by the Italian authorities after having saved over 400 people.

It then docked at a port, next to large piles of metal rubbish, and swung open its port side doors.

"Okay we can start," said SOS Mediterranee's rescue coordinator Luisa Albera at 11:24.

Italian authorities, including the police and staff from the UN refugee agency and the International Organization for Migration (IOM) were busy setting up stands.

The plan appeared four-fold.

First take photos and ID the survivors, then a Covid-19 test, registration, and a final police security check before being led elsewhere.

Families with children, minors, and those with injuries, were the first to leave.

But within the hour, the first confirmed positive Covid case had been found. The young male was moved back onto Ocean Viking where he is being kept isolated in a cooled aft container.

Others will likely follow him over the course of the next two-to-three days of disembarkation.

Out of the 572 people rescued, 183 are minors. With the exception of 27 women and girls, all are male. There are some 26 different nationalities.

The biggest is represented by Bangladesh with 151, followed by Egypt (119) and Eritrea (85). Eleven Syrians are also onboard.

Author bio

Nikolaj Nielsen, an EUobserver journalist, is embedded on the Ocean Viking for the coming weeks, reporting exclusively from the boat on the Mediterranean migration route.

On board with SOS Méditerranée

Tunisian man throws himself overboard

In a fit of desperation, a young man from Tunisia threw himself over board. He was quickly rescued. But others have made similar threats, if no solution is found, including a 38-year old pregnant woman from Libya.

On board with SOS Méditerranée

Food rations run out on Friday onboard Ocean Viking

The final round of food distribution will be on Friday, possibly leaving the 572 people rescued by the Ocean Viking without sustenance, as tensions begin to rise. Of those rescued, 183 are minors, including 41 aged 15 or younger.

On board with SOS Méditerranée

Ocean Viking's largest ever rescue - witnessed first-hand

The Norwegian-flagged Ocean Viking search-and-rescue vessel saved 369 people on a boat in the middle of the night, some 80 nautical miles off Libya. EUobserver was onboard and witnessed the rescue first hand, in this exclusive by Nikolaj Nielsen.

On board with SOS Méditerranée

Malta refuses to help rescue involving disabled children

The Libyan Coast Guard intercepted a wooden boat of 30 people some 10 nautical miles inside Malta's search and rescue zone. But then suddenly let them go, allowing the Ocean Viking to perform its first rescue since leaving Marseille.

On board with SOS Méditerranée

NGO sea-rescue mission exposes reality of EU 'values'

The NGO search-and-rescue vessel Ocean Viking was the only civilian ship at sea. In the span of just four days, it saved nearly 600 people - often in a race with an aggressive Libyan coast guard.

Syria refugees prefer Libya sea-crossing to 'dangerous' Greece

A group of Syrians fleeing their country say that Greece has become too dangerous and expensive as an option to enter the EU, in order to claim asylum. They have instead opted for Libya and the highly-risky Mediterranean sea-crossing.

News in Brief

  1. 'Missing' Belarus exiles group chief found dead in Kyiv
  2. EU imposes sanctions on Nicaragua's first lady
  3. Belarus Olympic athlete offered Polish visa
  4. Arrests in Zurich at Swiss banking fossil-fuel protest
  5. Twitter to work with Reuters and AP on disinformation
  6. Chinese hackers 'exploited five global telecom firms'
  7. Head of Belarus exile group 'missing' in Ukraine
  8. Poland, Czech Republic offer visa to Belarus 'asylum' athlete

'We are not slaves': Brussels' migrant hunger-strike

Almost 500 undocumented migrants in Brussels have been demanding a legal pathway for residency in Belgium. Most have been on hunger strike since 23 May, with some now refusing water. MEPs are demanding the Belgian government offer them a solution.

Exclusive

EU firms up plans for Libya military mission

The EU is firming up plans for a military mission to Libya in order to compete with foreign powers there, according to a leaked paper seen by EUobserver.

Stakeholders' Highlights

  1. Nordic Council of MinistersNineteen demands by Nordic young people to save biodiversity
  2. Nordic Council of MinistersSustainable public procurement is an effective way to achieve global goals
  3. Nordic Council of MinistersNordic Council enters into formal relations with European Parliament
  4. Nordic Council of MinistersWomen more active in violent extremist circles than first assumed
  5. Nordic Council of MinistersDigitalisation can help us pick up the green pace
  6. Nordic Council of MinistersCOVID19 is a wake-up call in the fight against antibiotic resistance

Latest News

  1. Telegram groups lure migrant hopefuls to Lithuania
  2. Third-time lucky for one Syrian grandmother in Denmark
  3. NGOs rescue around 800 people in Mediterranean
  4. Report: Pfizer and Moderna raise vaccine prices for EU
  5. Amazon deforestation and the EU-Mercosur trade deal
  6. Moldova facing Europe's worst demographic crisis
  7. Malta responsible for journalist's death, inquiry finds
  8. Can Greece work with Biden to solve the West Balkans impasse?

Join EUobserver

Support quality EU news

Join us