Lithuania takes over the rotating EU presidency on 1 July with a record load of legislative dossiers. It still wants to add its own "flavour" to the presidency with a focus on eastern relations.
Irish people have called a worldwide demonstration on Saturday to demand an end to Ireland's strict abortion laws.
Figures published by the EU police agency suggest that Turks are now prime movers in the migrant smuggling industry. But it is still difficult to get a real picture of the situation.
News in Brief
- EU 'baloney' and 'pate' in Brexit jibes
- EU ministers to issue Canada trade pledge
- Report: Next EU-27 summit on 3 February
- Too many banks in EU, says central bank chief
- Germany's AfD party gets record rating
- EU must stop Airbus subsidies, says trade body
- Franco-Belgian spat over police migrant convoy
- US says UK trade deal 'impossible' for now
Lithuania takes over the EU presidency on 1 July. EUobserver talks to the country's leading politicians about its austerity policy, its euro plans and relations with eastern neighbours.
With less than two months to go before taking over the rotating EU presidency on 1 July, Lithuania has unveiled the logo that will brand its EU meetings.
Lithuanian President Grybauskaite has been awarded the Charlemagne Prize for her "outstanding" merits in European politics, just as her country prepares to take over the EU presidency.
Highly dependent on Russian gas, Lithuania's struggle for energy independence and its relations with Gazprom are seen as a litmus test for the EU's energy policy.
Home to 10 NBA players, Lithuania is far more into basketball than any other sport. Saulius Stombergas, a former star player, tells EUobserver why.
The only way to get public support for austerity measures is if politicians start by cutting their own wages, says Lithuanian President Dalia Grybauskaite.
Lithuania is determined to join the eurozone in 2015 after it missed the membership criteria by less than one percent back in 2006.
- Bringing Education to Refugees in Lebanon With the Clooney Foundation for Justice
- An Industry-leading ICT Solution Provider and Building a Better World
- UN Refugees Meeting a Wasted Opportunity to Improve the Lives of Millions of Children
- Can Democracy Survive Global Disorder?
- Entrepreneurship, Proactivity, Innovation - Turn Ideas Into Action #IPS2016
- Trimming the Waste-Line: Weaving Circular Economy Principles Into Our Operations
- Don't Miss the Mega Conference to Master Crowdsourcing, Crowdfunding and Innovation! 10% Discount Code CSWEU16
- Fighting Terrorism: Do we have what it takes? 26 September, Brussels
- Karas Report on Access to Finance for SMEs in a Capital Markets Union
- "I still believe we can change Europe" Said David Grosclaude
- The Child Protection Index to be Launched in Brussels on 28 September 2016
- Digital Transformation: Unleashing Europe’s Potential
- Irish and Polish people march for abortion
- EU admits 'unrealistic' to close TTIP deal this year
- LGBT rights at stake in Georgia election
- UK to start Brexit talks early 2017, Johnson says
- Migrant smugglers mostly Turks, says Europol
- Canada woos sceptical EU left on trade deal
- EU rushing to ratify climate agreement
- EU commission seeks answers from Kroes