Tuesday

26th May 2020

West African leaders call for post-Ebola support

The leaders of the three West African countries worst hit by the Ebola epidemic called on the international community for a regional ‘Marshall Plan’ at an EU-hosted conference on Tuesday (3 March).

The “Ebola: from emergency to recovery” conference took place in Brussels on Tuesday, co-chaired by the European Union, together with the Presidents of Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, the United Nations and the African Union.

Read and decide

Join EUobserver today

Support quality EU news

Get instant access to all articles — and 20 years of archives. 14-day free trial.

... or subscribe as a group

  • The number of new Ebola cases in West Africa has dropped dramatically, but regional leaders want international support to help recover from the epidemic. (Photo: European Commission)

The epidemic, which began in spring 2014, has killed almost 10,000 people out of more than 23,000 confirmed cases in the three countries. The World Health Organisation estimates that the true infection rate and death toll is significantly higher than has been reported.

However, the disease, which has a very high mortality rate and is highly contagious - passed through through human-to-human contact - appears to be coming under control, with fewer than 100 cases being reported each week for the last month. It has no known vaccine or cure.

“Victory against the virus is in sight, but we must guard against complacency,” said President Ernest Bai Koroma of Sierra Leone. “There won't be complete victory until we get to a resilient zero in each of the three affected countries.”

For its part, the UN said it would continue to support “the drive to zero” cases.

The epidemic, which effectively forced the affected countries in West Africa to quarantine themselves and restrict travel in and out of their countries, also delivered a severe setback to their economies in the process.

“A regional approach would achieve the best recovery results,” Liberian president Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf told the 600 delegates, including ministers and health experts from across the world, adding that “there is no doubt that this will require significant resources, perhaps even a Marshall Plan.”

“We believe however that this can be achieved through allocation of the additional resources committed by the European Commission", she said.

The three recovering countries are drawing up a blueprint for a regional ‘Marshall plan’ to help their economies recover, which will be presented to the spring meetings of the World Bank and International Monetary Fund in April.

Speaking at the conference, EU development commissioner Neven Mimica said that 50 percent of the bloc’s development assistance was being used to provide budget support to the governments of three countries to help them deliver “urgently needed public services and cushion the economic impact of the epidemic.”

"The European Commission, together with the bloc’s 28 governments, have so far pledged around €1.2 billion to Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia, and Nigeria, the countries worst affected by the disease, as part of total pledges from the international community of $5 billion (€4.6 billion)."

But the international community has been criticised by medical NGOs and the UN for failing to do enough and acting too slowly, while African leaders at the conference stated that only $2.4 billion (€2.2 billion) of the pledged money has actually been made available to the affected countries. The conference did not see any further donation pledges.

When it came to Ebola, “the world was ill-prepared. It shows,” said Margaret Chan, director-general of the World Health Organisation. “We must reduce this vulnerability as a matter of urgency.”

Agenda

Recovery plans unveiled This WEEK

Tough negotiations start this week on both the EU's recovery fund and its revised long-term budget, which are likely to determine the entire future of the bloc.

Malta patrol boat 'intimidates' capsized migrants

Alarm Phone, a hotline service for migrants in distress, has released video footing showing an Armed Forces of Malta (AFM) boat making dangerous manoeuvres next to people swimming for their lives at sea. Malta does not deny the footage.

Opinion

How coronavirus might hit EU defence spending

Among the casualties of coronavirus - worldwide and in the EU - is the defence sector. However, the Covid-19 pandemic has not made the world a less dangerous place and there is no alternative to having a functioning defence system.

Column

That German court ruling hurts EU rule-of-law fightback

The short-term damage to financial markets may be smaller than feared. The damage to democracy is considerable because it weakened the ECJ - the most effective institution to stop attacks against democracy and rule of law in EU member states.

Stakeholders' Highlights

  1. European Sustainable Energy WeekThis year’s EU Sustainable Energy Week (EUSEW) will be held digitally!
  2. Nordic Council of MinistersNordic states are fighting to protect gender equality during corona crisis
  3. UNESDACircularity works, let’s all give it a chance
  4. Nordic Council of MinistersNordic ministers call for post-corona synergies between economic recovery and green transition
  5. Nordic Council of MinistersNordic co-operation on COVID-19
  6. Nordic Council of MinistersNordic research collaboration on pandemics

Stakeholders' Highlights

  1. UNESDAMaking Europe’s Economy Circular – the time is now
  2. Nordic Council of MinistersScottish parliament seeks closer collaboration with the Nordic Council
  3. UNESDAFrom Linear to Circular – check out UNESDA's new blog
  4. Nordic Council of Ministers40 years of experience have proven its point: Sustainable financing actually works
  5. Nordic Council of MinistersNordic and Baltic ministers paving the way for 5G in the region
  6. Nordic Council of MinistersEarmarked paternity leave – an effective way to change norms

Join EUobserver

Support quality EU news

Join us